Do you prefer.....

ramemtbers
ramemtbers Posts: 1,562
edited December 2009 in The Crudcatcher
Do you prefer a larger frame with the seat down, or a smaller frame with the seat up. Me and my mate started talking about this. I prefer a small frame with the seat up, what do you like??? it will be interesting to see.

Comments

• jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    small frame, hight seat.

i have a 18.5" frame and im 5foot. it's too big i know but it simply dosn't feel good. i rode my brothers bike who has a much smaller frame than mine and it was much better
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    At 5'5" I only have the choice of a small frame, but I still prefer a small cockpit.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • ramemtbers
    yeah i feel the same, although i am 5.6 ish maybe more i prefer medium / sometimes small frames.
  • missmarple
    missmarple Posts: 1,980
    Small frame with a high saddle, but I currently own a tank of a bike which has a large frame with the saddle same level as the handlebars.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 2,086
    I like a nice mid-long top tube. Stand-over is a secondary consideration.

23" and a bit is spot on thank you.
  • ramemtbers
    I dint know Abrams made bikes. What is your current bike?
  • Depends on the type of riding.

Freeride/play bike is a small bike, seat down easy to huck.

More trail/xc oriented is a bit longer for comfort and my seat height will change depending on terrain.

Always seat down for decents no matter what the bike.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    i prefer a smaller frame with alot of seat post showing. all of my bikes are like this except for the orange which is comfy all round but a bit tall in the standover region.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    i like a short frame and i dont have the seat that high despite the fact im 6ft 1. shorter bikes just feel better and i find them more comfortable, i reallt dont get this strecthed out for speed crap
  • Smaller frame with longer seatube. As long as the frame has the right TT length fine, and I have sufficient rise on the bars/stem
  • stevet1992
    stevet1992 Posts: 1,502
    Even with a 20" frame i still have to have my seat right up ...

You have to ride gates if your this tall :( 6 foot 5 at 17 ? someones taking the piss :lol:
    On-One 456 Sainsburys Season

Calling All SouthEastern Riders
  • ramemtbers
    So it looks like most people agree with me. 8)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yep, top tube consideration for me - 23inch or so for the XC stuff.
    i reallt dont get this strecthed out for speed crap

Generally more efficient. Certainly not 'crap'.
  • gaz047
    gaz047 Posts: 601
    low tube, high seat
    if it ain't rainin.....it ain't trainin
    Stick your 'rules' up your a%se
  • Top tube is more important, but saying that I like to get the seat out of the way on downhills, so nothing more than 17.5" seat tube for me thanks.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Somewhere in the middle of the two options really. Decent height on the frame (usually par for the course with a long top tube), but still able to move the seat up and down a bit.
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    robertpb wrote:
    At 5'5" I only have the choice of a small frame, but I still prefer a small cockpit.

Same here mate, it does have it's advantages - I can go for really light components without fear of breaking anything. I do find longer travel bikes start to feel pretty awkward in a small frame size though. You get to the point where a small frame has the same standover height as a medium because there's no more room for them to lower the top tube.
  • rubins4
    rubins4 Posts: 563
    Small frame - high seat.

I'm 6' 5'' and my frame is 15'' so its really small on me, but i can lift the seat right up and do some trails no bother, although being on 24's and 9 gears its not the fastest bike in the world! On the other hand i can drop the seat right down and mess about town etc and the rims are strong enough to stake some decent drops. Spot on for me really, though i would like a bigger, second bike, maybe a 29er?
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12613038
    Anyway, fk dis, I iz off 4 a ride innit. l8rz peepz
  • stevet1992
    stevet1992 Posts: 1,502
    rubins4 wrote:
    Small frame - high seat.

I'm 6' 5'' and my frame is 15'' so its really small on me, but i can lift the seat right up and do some trails no bother, although being on 24's and 9 gears its not the fastest bike in the world! On the other hand i can drop the seat right down and mess about town etc and the rims are strong enough to stake some decent drops. Spot on for me really, though i would like a bigger, second bike, maybe a 29er?

:shock: How the feck do you ride a jump bike ... I kept hitting my knees on the handlebars !
    On-One 456 Sainsburys Season

Calling All SouthEastern Riders