Only Cav!!!

Speedykid
Speedykid Posts: 17
edited December 2009 in The bottom bracket
I don't mean I don't like Cav but I'm sure Wiggo could have got sports personality of the year. Damn you BBC :evil:

Comments

• Better as at least it wont split the votes. Still havent ever voted.
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    Button is nailed on to win anyway, you can 100-1 on Cav should you feel like giving bookies your money.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Cav was the correct choice. Even though he is an outsider he is the only cyclist with a prayer. As great as Wiggins performance was the general public are not going to vote for someone who finished fourth in a bike race, no matter how big that race was.
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    Smokin Joe wrote:
    Cav was the correct choice. Even though he is an outsider he is the only cyclist with a prayer. As great as Wiggins performance was the general public are not going to vote for someone who finished fourth in a bike race, no matter how big that race was.

I think you're right.

I'm not a great fan of sprinters and much prefer the steady effort of the climbers and time triallists. That isn't to denigrate the athleticism of the Cavendishes and Hoys of the cycling world but merely a personal preference. I'm more of a Wiggins fan, therefore and I'm looking forward to seeing him race on Saturday evening at the velodrome.

However, to the general public, stage and race wins will count far more and Cav is the right choice. He hasn't a hope, of course, but we should vote for him never the less.

I don't think Button should win it either. He had by far the best car a the beginning of the season and used his undoubted skill to secure a big enough points lead to clinch the world title. I strongly suspect that, given the right car, just about any F1 driver could win the championship. They're all extremely skilful drivers and given the machinery they'd win.

Anyway isn't it a rather silly competition? It's impossible to compare the success of sports people in different sports and it all seems rather futile.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • I don't think Wiggo particularly endeared himself to the SPOTY audience last year either.
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    Speedykid wrote:
    I don't mean I don't like Cav but I'm sure Wiggo could have got sports personality of the year. Damn you BBC :evil:

Get your facts straight. It's not the BBC that decides the shortlist of ten - it's the result of voting by a panel of newspapers and magazines.
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    Anyone know the nominees for Junior SPOTY? Becky James would be a good shout for that especially as it's not judged by the public.
  • Get your facts straight. It's not the BBC that decides the shortlist of ten - it's the result of voting by a panel of newspapers and magazines.

oops sorry I suppose you lot are right most people wouldn't vote for wiggo
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    Pross wrote:
    Anyone know the nominees for Junior SPOTY? Becky James would be a good shout for that especially as it's not judged by the public.

She's too old. It's for people 16 or under at the beginning of the year. The cyclist on the short list of 10 was John Paul (a new name to me). He hasn't made the super-short list of three though.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    to give (some of) you roadies some conception if what we as cyclists are up against - do any of you care that Steve Peat was nt nominated?

(don't be offended I know there are many of us that ride both etc etc)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    Not so much don't care that he wasn't as not surprised. Cycling in general has a low public recognition other than the track where Olympic success has raised it out of obscurity and the Tour de France. We could have a road cyclist win the world champs, world cup, any of the Classics or one of the other 2 Grand Tours and it would barely register. Similarly, an MTB win in the Olympics would obviously get more recognition - BMX was big news at the last Olympics as we had medal prospects but those riders win titles regularly and you here nothing. I suspect it's the same for other minority sports and that is why the likes of Beth Tweddle won't win SPOTY this year, it will go to Haye or Button as they have had a huge amount of media coverage. Why the likes of Ryan Giggs and Andrew Strauss are in there I really don't know :?