Rebuilding Campag Ergo's: How many Haynes spanners?

cookiemonster
cookiemonster Posts: 668
edited November 2009 in Workshop
Right, 2006 Record 10-speed levers. The shift feels fairly soft - more like a shimano shifter than my new'ish chorus levers, so my understanding is that its time for a rebuild with new springs. I'd like to have a go myself, for the cash saving, but also I just like to know how this stuff hangs together and I like knowing that I could do the job if I needed to.

I've had a look at the youtube "how to" vids and a rebuild looks like its in the realms of a diy job - but there are a couple of steps that look pretty fiddly, especially as the internals of my levers arent likley to be as shiny new as the ones on the vids. I dont have a vice, never mind the fancy campag support stand, but I'm pretty sure I can knock something up with a 5mm allen to support it.

So, who's given this ago and where does it fit on the Haynes spanner scale - 1 being changing a tube, 5 being fitting a headset with all the reaming of bearings and the like, we'll put fitting an UT bottom bracket as a 3 - pretty straight forward, but you need a couple of special tools.

I'm thinking its a four... ?

jon

And for reference: :)

Haynes: One spanner rating (simple).
Translation: Your Mum could do this... so how did you manage to botch it up?

Haynes: Two spanner rating.
Translation: Now you may think that you can do this because two is a low, tiny, ikkle number... but you also thought that the wiring diagram was a map of the Tokyo underground (in fact that would have been more use to you).

Haynes: Three spanner rating (intermediate).
Translation: Make sure you won't need your car for a couple of days and that your AA cover includes Home Start.

Haynes: Four spanner rating.
Translation: You are seriously considering this aren't you, you pleb!

Haynes: Five spanner rating (expert).
Translation: OK - but don't expect us to ride it afterwards!!!
Translation #2: Don't ever carry your loved ones in it again and don't mention it to your insurance company.

Comments

• fearby
    fearby Posts: 245
    A bloke at Mercian Cycles will do it all for a reasonable price.......apparently :D
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    As my mum taught me how to strip and replace a bottom bracket (and this in the day's of cotter pins) I would say one spanner on the rating above.
  • scherrit
    scherrit Posts: 360
    I think if you've mechanically savvy AND sympathetic (cue debate about what that entails...) then do-able BUT......

holding the lever firm by means of an allen key clamped in a vice or any other way really that holds the lever body firm will make your life MUCH easier, and yes some of the springs are quite fiddly- you'll have to work out whether using a needle nose plier, or pushing the spring tip around with a screwdriver tip is going to work better for you, if you make an error in assembly the it prolly just will jam and you will then simply have to do it again, no disaster really- comes down to time and money really, which do you have more of?

Most workshops (us=bike whisperer included) will charge around 25 per lever plus parts and I would guess that you as a novice would take around an hour(or possibly a little longer) per lever to strip, clean and re-assemble if you have the correct parts to hand- suggest you order in at least the "P" springs for both sides if you reckon they're getting more sloppy.

Good luck,
    Scherrit.
    If you're as fat as me, all bikes are bendy.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Due to the fiddle-factor, more like a 4 on the Hayes scale - you need to be fairly dextrous and certainly not inclined to force things. Having a good selection of tools like small screwdrivers and pliers helps.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    4 spanners.
  • cheers - still undecided; I'll probably give it a go, but I dont want to be without the bike for a week while I convince some mech to build a lever out of a plastic bag full of parts...