Need Lights! (Help)

blueybug
blueybug Posts: 17
edited November 2009 in Commuting chat
I have to buy as a present good front lights for a 1 mile commute in the dark morning/night.

I have a budget of 30-50 but looking I'm clueless on what to buy.

Must be bright!

Any pointers please so I can buy these in time for crimbo :roll:

Comments

• FeynmanC
    FeynmanC Posts: 649
    Fenix l2D torch with a twofish lock block should do the trick.

http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/led_torches ... 2d_q5.html
    &
    http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/led_torches/lockblock.html

It'll be with you in a couple of days and you'll even have 10p change out of your £50 budget
    us0.png
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    Yep the Fenix are good, ok if you just need one front lamp, though if you need a set you may have to adjust your budget or buy cheaper lights. With the Fenix: Remember to angle them carefully and check the bike out from a distance. They are very bright :wink:
  • In "Wattage" terms is 1W bright enough? or best go with 1.5-2W
  • downfader
    blueybug wrote:
    In "Wattage" terms is 1W bright enough? or best go with 1.5-2W

Tbh it isnt the wattage that gives the brightness, its the lens or reflector design and the LED used, the fenix is very bright (put the names and model numbers into places like youtube or google and there are often vids and webpages showing beam patterns etc)
  • downfader wrote:
    blueybug wrote:
    In "Wattage" terms is 1W bright enough? or best go with 1.5-2W

Tbh it isnt the wattage that gives the brightness, its the lens or reflector design and the LED used, the fenix is very bright (put the names and model numbers into places like youtube or google and there are often vids and webpages showing beam patterns etc)

I'll have a look at that, thank you. I'm clueless on all things bike!
  • RufusA
    RufusA Posts: 500
    I really like the Smart Lunar 35 Lux (for the price). You can easily find them for under £30 delivered, and they throw a LOT of light out. Similar amounts to a Fenix torch or my more expensive Dinotte 200L.

However it's a proper bike light, so you can mount / dismount it in a second, and it's not as long / bulky as a torch.

With the change you could buy a pair of hybrid rechargeable AA batteries and a reasonable charger, or a pair of the superb 1/2 Smart super flash rear lights!

HTH - Rufus.
  • +1 for Smart Super Flash on rear. I put one on the back of my helmet, it also protects the rider when not on the bike.
    We need a bigger boat.

Giant OCR 4
    Trek Madone 5.2
    Ridgeback Speed (FCN 15)
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    The magicshine from DealExtreme (see the What lights thread in MTB buying advice) would be good. But I'm not sure if you'd receive it in time for Xmas as it comes from Hong Kong.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • downfader
    bails87 wrote:
    The magicshine from DealExtreme (see the What lights thread in MTB buying advice) would be good. But I'm not sure if you'd receive it in time for Xmas as it comes from Hong Kong.

Magicshines seem to have a real following now (just as the Ayups have). That beastie is about 2.5 times more bright than my Race Maxx2. :lol:
  • FeynmanC
    FeynmanC Posts: 649
    Wouldnt be here by Xmas though unless you were very lucky
    us0.png