Sports Personality - Cav & Wiggo

afx237vi
afx237vi Posts: 12,630
edited December 2009 in Pro race
Behind-the-scenes vid of a shoot they did in a power station somewhere in North Wales:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tv_and_ ... 383730.stm

I think this must mean they're both nominated.

Comments

• DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Wonder how Wiggo would get on down there with his Transition optics!
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • DaveyL
    That's Transition - for when you need a *clear* advantage.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Cavendish has been nominated for Sports 'Personality' of the Year? Someone's got a sense of humour!
  • DaveyL
    Still hating him for that alleged "frogs" comment, Howard?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    I'm still smarting from the post San-Remo Boonen comment!

As a true-Boonen fanboy I can't extend my love for Cavendish.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    Cavendish has been nominated for Sports 'Personality' of the Year? Someone's got a sense of humour!

He seems to be well liked in the peloton, has a good sense of humour. and to my mind, has real personality. Hhe wears his heart on his sleeve and has real enthusiasm for the sport, and thoroughly deserves his nomination.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    well, I shall certainly be voting for Cav.

many, many times
  • DaveyL wrote:
    Still hating him for that "frogs" comment, Howard?
    Oh, the 'hate' word again... :roll:

I just can't think of someone who comes across as being as slow-witted (at least off the bike) as Cavendish does as having 'personality'.

I guess some would argue that the way he mouths off xenophobic nonsense, blatantly tried to put Husvod in to barriers in the Tour, has dumped hid long-term girlfriend, taken up with some Italian-blooded bimbo and bought some wet-dream wankmobile is all evidence of him having 'personality'...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    DaveyL wrote:

I just can't think of someone who comes across as being as slow-witted (at least off the bike) as Cavendish does as having 'personality'.

I guess some would argue that the way he mouths off xenophobic nonsense, blatantly tried to put Husvod in to barriers in the Tour, has dumped hid long-term girlfriend, taken up with some Italian-blooded bimbo and bought some wet-dream wankmobile is all evidence of him having 'personality'...

Sounds good to me! :o
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL wrote:

I guess some would argue that the way he allegedly mouths off xenophobic nonsense, blatantly (in my opinion)tried to put Husvod in to barriers in the Tour, has dumped hid long-term girlfriend, taken up with some Italian-blooded bimbo and bought some wet-dream wankmobile is all evidence of him having 'personality'...

I've fixed that for you.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    NapoleonD wrote:

Damn right. The man's living the dream. Anyone has one girlfriend from school and then marries her at 24 is an idiot if you ask me.

I don't think anyone can deny he has a personality (especially for a top-line sportsman). Not to everyone's taste, but he's certainly not dull.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • But Jenson Button will win...
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    DaveyL wrote:

Me too, my vote's in the post for that alone !
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • NervexProf
    NervexProf Posts: 4,202
    I saw this video yesterday - seemed to me to be focussed on the 'shoot' rather than the two personalities.

That said, my impression, many steps removed from the past year of achievement of both; and they both had a sensational year, I do not see either featuring in the last '5' - not after last year's triumph by Chris Hoy.

I can but hope that either Cav, or Wiggo do feature in following years as SPOTY for their talents and achievement deserve wider public recognition.
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
  • afx237vi
    Isn't this the third time Wiggo has been nominated already?

As for the actual shoot, they're pretty much always style over substance - think of those fancy stylized montages you see on Top Gear...
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    I can remember previous editions of the show where cycling was mentioned for 6 seconds during the "review of the year" slot "and over in France during July, it was Lance Armstrong / Miguel Indurain who won the gruelling Tour de France again", except when Armstrong won the Oerseas Personality award. So a proper filmed piece is great, even if they don't win.

Still, I can't understand the fuss about this event. It's a phone poll and not much more, Wiggins didn't push harder around Lake Annecy thanks to thoughts of this award, Hoy wasn't doing an extra bench press thanks to the motivation of this award. But somehow a lot of people get very worked up about it.
  • teagar
    Kléber wrote:
    I can remember previous editions of the show where cycling was mentioned for 6 seconds during the "review of the year" slot "and over in France during July, it was Lance Armstrong / Miguel Indurain who won the gruelling Tour de France again", except when Armstrong won the Oerseas Personality award. So a proper filmed piece is great, even if they don't win.

Still, I can't understand the fuss about this event. It's a phone poll and not much more, Wiggins didn't push harder around Lake Annecy thanks to thoughts of this award, Hoy wasn't doing an extra bench press thanks to the motivation of this award. But somehow a lot of people get very worked up about it.

It's a way of seeing how popular your favourite sport has become. Hence it being a bigger deal for sports like cycling or whatever, whose fans feel the heroic achievments of their favourite sportsmen are being overlooked.

It just reminds you that the sport you like is still a minority sport, despite national success in it. Hence having to fork out a fortune for satalite/cable TV to have Eurosport.
  • when did sports personality of the year EVER mean what it says on the tin ?

jeez even ellen mcarthur that well know west end entertainer won it once
  • when did sports personality of the year EVER mean what it says on the tin ?

jeez even ellen mcarthur that well know west end entertainer won it once

And Damon Hill. His car had more personality than him.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    when did sports personality of the year EVER mean what it says on the tin ?

Every year. There's more than one definition of the word 'personality'. Something that escapes just about everyone at this time of year.

C+P from dictionary.com: Personality: "a famous, notable, or prominent person; celebrity."
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • DaveyL
    Well, as much as I would like to see Cav or Wiggo (probably more Wiggo to be honest) take the award, it should definitely go to triathlete Chrissie Wellington. Not only is she the best ironman-distance racer around, she does a huge amount of work in terms of encouraging people to participate in sport (her involvement in the GoTribal organisation) and also uses her position to promote overseaas development (the sphere in which she worked before going pro).
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    Bradleeee was riding a Dolan, what can we read into this ?????

Has JV taken all his bikes off him cos he's on his way Team Sky ?? :lol:
  • afx237vi
    teagar wrote:
    It's a way of seeing how popular your favourite sport has become. Hence it being a bigger deal for sports like cycling or whatever, whose fans feel the heroic achievments of their favourite sportsmen are being overlooked.

It just reminds you that the sport you like is still a minority sport, despite national success in it. Hence having to fork out a fortune for satalite/cable TV to have Eurosport.

That's hardly the case just for minority sports. It's probably more expensive being a football fan or a cricket fan than it is being a cycling fan.

I agree that the SPOTY Award is a bigger deal for cyclists or rowers or divers orwhatever. It's pretty much the only time of the year (other than Olympic years) they're given full primetime exposure.
  • teagar
    afx237vi wrote:
    teagar wrote:

That's hardly the case just for minority sports. It's probably more expensive being a football fan or a cricket fan than it is being a cycling fan.

Touché.

You know what I mean - it's not like we get an hour of highlights from Het Volk on Saturday night on BBC 2, or commentators that know their road racing arse from their elbow.
    But yes - watching football is plenty more expensive than cycling.
  • maltiv
    maltiv Posts: 34
    Nickwill wrote:
    Cavendish has been nominated for Sports 'Personality' of the Year? Someone's got a sense of humour!

He seems to be well liked in the peloton, has a good sense of humour. and to my mind, has real personality. Hhe wears his heart on his sleeve and has real enthusiasm for the sport, and thoroughly deserves his nomination.
    He's definitely not "well liked" in the peloton. It is not like he is hated, but defining him as well liked is just plain wrong. Jens Voigt is well liked in the peloton. Mark Cavendish- definitely not...
  • teagar
    maltiv wrote:
    Nickwill wrote:

He's definitely not "well liked" in the peloton. It is not like he is hated, but defining him as well liked is just plain wrong. Jens Voigt is well liked in the peloton. Mark Cavendish- definitely not...

i'm pretty sure people in his own team like him.

I'm not so sure other sprinters/rivals like him.

Saying "winning San-Remo was the 2nd greatest part of today. The first was passing Boonen on the Poggio who was dropping like a stone" or however he put it, is unlikely to win him any friends. Similarly with the green jersey incident. Didn't he also get punched in the Tour? Last time I heard of something like that happening was Tankink punching Ricco for decending like a bell-end, and generally being a bell end.

People who have no interest eitherway are probably a mixed bag .
  • afx237vi
    The punching incident was way overblown. It was just Piet Rooijakkers giving him a shove in order to hold his line. The same thing that goes on in every sprint.
  • teagar
    afx237vi wrote:
    The punching incident was way overblown. It was just Piet Rooijakkers giving him a shove in order to hold his line. The same thing that goes on in every sprint.

Mart Smeets didn't seem to think so on the Avondetappe :wink:
  • afx237vi
    teagar wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

Mart Smeets didn't seem to think so on the Avondetappe :wink:

A Theo Bos smackdown it wasn't!