Crashed into another cyclist

Roastie
Roastie Posts: 1,968
edited November 2009 in Commuting chat
Was turning right and didn't see him coming at me. Though the reason I didn't see him was because he was wearing virtually all black with no lights. At 7am (i.e. before sunrise).

Fortunately no damage to anyone or anything. We ended up sort of bumping into each other, and leaned on each other just as we were stopping so no fall. Though my delicate bits did nail the stem. Urg.

Gave me quite a fright that I'd managed to miss him - though he did apologise, which seemed fair given he had no lights!

Gr.

Comments

• Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    edited November 2009
    Large cuppa with 3 sugars to steady the nerves or a slug of whiskey. Pubs are open aren't they? :wink:

Glad you are ok.
  • Sorry to hear this. Glad your ok now. I have just commented on another thread about law breaking cyclists letting us down and that I am now more scared of being hit by an idiot on a bike than a car when in town! Now I read your thread!! I rest my case!! The amount of cyclists not using lights and when they should and still expect to be safe!! I hope the police tighten up on this soon!
    Trek Emonda and Kiron Scandium on the road and Cube ltd Team for the rest .Also a retired Holdsworth Professional. Love Cycling!!
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    saladfunky wrote:
    Sorry to hear this. Glad your ok now. I have just commented on another thread about law breaking cyclists letting us down and that I am now more scared of being hit by an idiot on a bike than a car when in town! Now I read your thread!! I rest my case!! The amount of cyclists not using lights and when they should and still expect to be safe!! I hope the police tighten up on this soon!
    I'd just posted this then saw the other thread. One has to wonder!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Sorry to hear about your crash Roastie.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    He was bloody lucky you werent a car/bus/lorry/steamroller etc.

What kind of nob rides without lights in the dark ? Sorry you encountered him.
  • cougie wrote:

What kind of nob rides without lights in the dark ? Sorry you encountered him.

The kind I constantly encounter on my daily commute!

The funniest was few years ago when the path parallel to the cycle track was closed for repairs. The cycle track is unlit and in pitch dark. There actually used to be unlit riders waiting for us with lights so they could follow - LOL.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • FeynmanC
    FeynmanC Posts: 649
    Turn your's off and go into Night Vision Mode*!

*requires purchasing a high end night vision system and the willingness to look even more of a tool than the usual lycra and beer belly combo
    us0.png