Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

nicensleazy
nicensleazy Posts: 2,310
edited November 2009 in The bottom bracket
Took my 4 year old daughter to see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory at our local cinema. It was her first time going to a cinema so she was quite excited. Any how, it was the version with Johnny depp. It was the first time I had seen this version. Whilst it was a good film, I thought it bizarre why depp a talented actor couldn't put on an English accent. The film, set in this country, would of been far better if he had an English accent. After all, it was written by Roald Dahl. Yet again, the Americans have to alter this great British story!

Comments

• have you heard Depps attempt at an english accent? lol
    thats probably why they didnt bother with the remake, then again the original film with Gene Wilder in didnt have an english accent either
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    the umpa lumpa is crap in the new one.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    a_n_t wrote:

I would imagine it's difficult to define the quality control factors on an Umpa Lumpa?
    Cycling weakly
  • And the original film was set in a random Bavarian town anyway, so BBC accent not required I'd say.

Hated the unnecessary dentist backstory in the new one, as well as the cheap digtal duplicate oompa-lompas. The squirrels were good though.
    Litespeed Tuscany, Hope/Open Pro, Ultegra, pulling an Extrawheel trailer, often as not.

FCR 4 (I think?)
    Twitter: @jimjmcdonnell
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    skyd0g wrote:
    a_n_t wrote:

I would imagine it's difficult to define the quality control factors on an Umpa Lumpa?

not really..

under 4 ft.....................check
    green hair.....................check
    orange face..................check
    white eyebrows...........check

umpa.jpg

and the new one

failed

r51133-lge.jpg
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • Roald Dahl hated the original version. Infact he had a general hatred for all film makers' attempts to turn his books into films.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    The "new" umpa lumpa and the dentist are from the book iirc. The new version is very faithful to the bookas far as I remember. The Gene Wilder version, whilst a fave film of mine, is actually a complete b***adisation :wink:
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    A friend of mine took his kids to see it and they both hated it. I think it was too dark for them. I did warn him but he wouldn't listen..;-)

I've been lucky enough to see most of the sets for Charlie as I work at Pinewood, but pesonally I didn't enjoy the film at all. Big fan of Johnny Depp but the remake just didn't have the charm of the first, and too much CGI ruined it for me. For example, the Umpa Lumpa's were all played by the same bloke with lots of CGI and it just didn't work imo.

Much darker than the first and more in-line with Roald Dahl's original idea, but not a patch on Gene Wilder's version.
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    sampras38 wrote:
    I've been lucky enough to see most of the sets for Charlie as I work at Pinewood
    Do you know my mate, Dave Cross, the Grip? or Kenny Atherfold?
  • sampras38
    BigJimmyB wrote:
    sampras38 wrote:
    I've been lucky enough to see most of the sets for Charlie as I work at Pinewood
    Do you know my mate, Dave Cross, the Grip? or Kenny Atherfold?

Unfortunately no. I work on the broadcast consultancy side and have nothing to do with production. I just happen to be onsite so get to see most of the sets.
  • Thought Charlie and The Chocolate Factory was OK, but nothing special.
    Fantastic Mr Fox is really good, quite a lot added to make it a full length film, but it works, and every child in the cinema found it funny.
  • sampras38
    Thought Charlie and The Chocolate Factory was OK, but nothing special.
    Fantastic Mr Fox is really good, quite a lot added to make it a full length film, but it works, and every child in the cinema found it funny.

Loved the book as a kid and quite looking forward to passing it on to my kids. Haven't had a chance to see the film yet, only trailors.
  • nicensleazy
    nicensleazy Posts: 2,310
    sampras38 wrote:

Loved the book as a kid and quite looking forward to passing it on to my kids. Haven't had a chance to see the film yet, only trailors.

I wouldn't make a special effort! :(
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I was more of glass elevator fan myself.

The film of 'the witches' was very good indeed...for a kids film.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • sampras38
    sampras38 wrote:

I wouldn't make a special effort! :(

Oh, it'll most likely be a DVD or BR at some point.

Cinema can go shove..