Mudguards

rich g
rich g Posts: 124
edited December 2009 in Workshop
I have put some new tyres 700x28 (replacing the 700x21) on my bike and they rubbed the old mudguards so i bought new guards that fit 28-32 tyres but they rub the tyres under the forks is there any way i can attach the guards without attching them under the forks or modifying them in any way so they will fit.
Rich

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Probably not - the distance beteen the centre of the wheel and the fork crown isfixed - unless you get a longer fork and deep-drop brakes, there's little you can do,
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • There is a mod you can do to the m'guards. File off the rivet heads and remove the fork mounting bracket. This will leave two small holes. When fitting the m'guard thread a cable tie through these holes, up the steerer tube and over the brake bolt. Pull the cable tie tight and you will gain an extra few millemeters of clearance. It is a bit fiddly to do but works.
    remember to keep pedalling in circles.
  • rich g
    rich g Posts: 124
    Thanks campagman i tried that but there still is'nt enough room under the forks,i think i will have to find a suitable set that clip on,not easy finding some for a road bike.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Are 28mm tyres that important that you're willing to sacrafice having proper mudguards? Why not try some 25mm tyres or even 23mm instead? Clip on mudgaurds (like SKS Raceblades) are rubbish comapred to proper mudguards.
    More problems but still living....
  • Burghley
    Burghley Posts: 412
    Hi

I have been using Giant Defy mudguards on my "travel" bike, which has close clearances and mudguard eyes (custom ti).

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDeta ... ctID=18852

They are full mudguards with a clever fit around the brake calipers. Not sure if they will accommodate 28's though.

Rgds

Pete
    www.bikesetup.co.uk
    miles more cycling comfort
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    Fit some 23mm tyres. You'll have loads of clearance for mudguards and it will still look like a proper racing bike :wink:
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...