Cycling Tights Advice

grayduncs
grayduncs Posts: 334
edited November 2009 in Road buying advice
I am trying to cycle through the winter this year (or at least more of it) and need to get something suitable for my legs. I have thermal leggings (Helly Hansen) and an old pair of Ronhill Tracksters but was thinking of adding a pair of longs. Without getting in to specific brands my questions are:

- padded or unpadded: I was going to go for unpadded so that I can wash the shorts underneath more often than I have to wash the longs. Is this sensible?

- bib or waist: I was tending towards waist, the bibs seem more expensive and more cycling specific (if I wanted to use them for running or walking or something later).

- winter or summer: I was tempted to get the lighter weight ones and wear my thermal leggings underneath. Come spring I can drop the thermals and just use the longs.

All comments and advice welcome....
I am proud to support my country by paying taxes. But I would be just as proud if I paid half as much.

Comments

• APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    Unpadded
    Bibs
    Winter

Those options will serve you best. I had leg warmers under my bibs today and once the icy rain had soaked me through my legs were freezing.
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    Unpadded, for the reasons you mention. Otherwise you will need several pairs.

Bib, for comfort, plus a little extra insulation, especially in your lower back/kidney area. You still have your tracksters for running.

Winter weight, with windstopper type fabric if possible. Come spring, you can either pack them away, or just use your tracksters over your shorts.
    Cycling weakly
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    APIII wrote:
    Unpadded
    Bibs
    Winter

+ 1

Endura do some good ones. Comfy, tough, good features.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Fairly new to this and went for unpadded, waist (I can't do bibs yet, sorry!) and fleece lined. They're not waterproof, and not strictly windstoppers but fine once I'm warmed up - if you need waterproof buy waterproof! Specifically they're Altura winter cruisers, about £30 on wiggle and seem to do exactly what they said on the tin.
    You'll probably need more than one pair if you're outside lots in the cold so gives you an opportunity to try two brands!
    Have fun choosing
    MC
  • Padded DHB merstons and on really cold days some leg warmers over the bibs.

Seriously I've recently purchased some Endura thermolite bibs and DHB merstons, and I have to say that the DHB's are of much better quality.
  • bigal.
    bigal. Posts: 479
    I have these bib's from Assos but they are very expensive. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Assos_Winter_LL_S5_Padded_Bib_Tights/5360039552/

I have cycled right through the last 4 winters and I would argue that you will not find a better product than the Assos clothing range. I have a pair of Airprotec's as well which are 4 years old and are still as good as new. They have the chamios built in and I often cycle in the depths of winter at midnight due to the end of my shift with no issues only wearing these on my legs.

They are worth the money.
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Just bought some DHB Merstons after several recommendations. £40.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/dhb_M ... 360045075/
  • jthef
    jthef Posts: 226
    I have used the Lusso max repel so they are real good in the rain and use normal bib or 3/4 if very cold. I have both waste and bib so when colder use the bib and when walmer use the waste. Only problem with waste is they can roll down ur belly a bit.
  • BE1
    BE1 Posts: 27
    unpadded
    waist
    Winter

I have a very old pair of Santini Roubaix tights which do the job very nicely they can be worn all week over shorts and then washed at the weekend.

I seem to recall that bikeplus had a variety of tights on sale a little while ago.
  • I use Cannondale longs in winter, Dhb 3/4s with Altura Summit baggies over in spring/autumn and the baggies on their own in summer.
    All are padded, just keep them washed!
    The 3/4s with baggies are fantastically comfortable and the Cannondales are like a second skin they fit that well.
    2008 Giant Trance (own build)
    1996 Marin Mount Vision (from new)
    Ribble Carbon Sportive
    Dawes rigid hardtail (commuter)
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'm with the Unpadded, Bibs and DHB.

I ride all through winter unless theres snow on the roads, and then I may do MTB off road anyway. Bibs are much better than waist versions.
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    unpadded/waist/winter (Endura)

I'd also recommend ankle zips & gripper rather than stirrups/foot loops, as it allows you to have the longs on the outside of any overshoe and ensure that water draining down the longs doesn't go straight into the shoe.