glueless patches (nightmare)

fezhead
fezhead Posts: 21
edited November 2009 in Road beginners
hi all is it me or does anyone else u uses glueless patches suffer with them. after following the instructions rigorously they all seem to cum unstuck in mid ride. this only happens on my road bike tho. not on my mountain bike. had a lot of punctures lately, they only seem to last 1hour or so n thats it. dont want to start using glued patch but feel i will av2 :(:(

Comments

• Chrissz
    Chrissz Posts: 727
    I always use a small drop of superglue on the hole, then apply the patch - never had a problem yet :lol:
  • I've never had much luck with them they always seem to decide to peel off at the worst possible time :cry:
  • Andy140
    Andy140 Posts: 130
    Have used the Park gluelss patches...so far so good...
  • + 1 for the Park patches, never had any problems with them.
  • Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    I use glueless patches on my MTB's with no problems (both Park and Specialized Flat Boys) but the shop I got my road bike from and the road riders I have spoken to all say that they are no good for road tubes because of the higher pressures. I always carry a spare tube and put that on if I get a flat and then repair when I get home with the traditional glue and rubber patches.
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • same as above, road pressures are way higher and tend to move the patch off when fully inflated, so carry a spare tube and fix the puncture with glue opn patches later and use that as your spare
    dont only ride a bike
  • I use the Weldtite ones with no problems
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    I carry a spare tube, and glueless patches for emergency if I get another flat. When I get back, throw it in the bin and put a new tube in.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    I had an absolute mare with the self-sticky Park patches.

Won't use them again - they just couldn't deal with road pressures.

(Was a bad ride all round owing to Hampshire's finest and sharpest flints - think the fairy visited 3 times in total, if you count the patch coming off)
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    I've never used them. I always carry a couple of spare tubes as well as normal glued patches (I'm a pessimist :)).

However, I suspect the problem with road bikes as opposed to MTBs is not so much the pressure but that the narrow tubes make it difficult for a patch to conform to the tighter curve. Another problem might concern the age of the patches. I once, in a fit of foresight, bought a box of 100 patches (Cure C Cure, I think) which I thought would last me a few years. Once they'd been in stock for a while they were reluctant to stick properly and I had to throw most of them away.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • cheers lads think geoff might be right with the tighter curve of the tube. NIGHTMARE.
  • TommyEss wrote:
    I had an absolute mare with the self-sticky Park patches.

Won't use them again - they just couldn't deal with road pressures.

(Was a bad ride all round owing to Hampshire's finest and sharpest flints - think the fairy visited 3 times in total, if you count the patch coming off)

Never had a problem with Park Glueless patches. And I ride Hampshire's 'finest' roads all the time.

Still prefer to carry a spare tube & use the patches only if needed.
    There's no such thing as too old.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Not had a problem either with Park patches, as above though I generally prefer to use a fresh tube and repair later.
  • hodsgod
    hodsgod Posts: 226
    nferrar wrote:
    Not had a problem either with Park patches, as above though I generally prefer to use a fresh tube and repair later.

Thats what I do, but still carry traditional glued patches repair kit.
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    Never had an issue with Park patches on the road. Just make sure you've cleaned and dried the area properly and press it down firmly.
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • jthef
    jthef Posts: 226
    Used the park glue less patches for a couple of year and had no problems using them.
    BUT if the tube stops in the wheel for a period of time 10 months + they seam to perish and start to leak :(
    I cary a spair tube to use and if dry and light fix the inner tube with a patch for next time.
  • No problems for me with Park patches on road tubes. I had some 10 year old ones which gave up the ghost though - they would stick on fine then rip under pressure when the tyre was inflated.

I do swap tubes on the road though, then apply the patch and give it time to cure before inflating though. If I have the time & inclination I will refit the tube and inflate tp 50psi (or so) to let it stabalise before the next ride as well.
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    I tried using Park glueless patches, found they didn't work so threw them away.
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    it helps if you wipe the chalk of the tube. they either slide of or stick well.
  • cheers every1 for yr good advice. ada another let down tday so not a happy chappy. glueless went in bin. end of the glueless saga. 1s again cheers
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Have used some from halfrauds a couple of times and no problems over even a long period. I have the pressures quite high too because of my large weight. To be honest the higher pressure looks like it would help if anything because it presses the patch very firmly between the tube and tyre - with that much compression I cant see why it would slip?

Have some park ones now but cant recall if I have used them yet.