I'm getting old...

Cressers
Cressers Posts: 1,329
edited November 2009 in The bottom bracket
The Past Times nostalgia shop is selling new versions of the Spacehopper, though as I remember them the originals were made out of a more robust and textured material. And flicking through a 'nostalgic look back through the deacdes' book I find the 70's, 80's and 90's are now listed!

When the times in which you grew up are nostalgia fodder you're getting old!

Of course nostalgia isn't what it used to be...

Comments

• I saw a policeman the other day.

He looked very young
  • When the times in which you grew up are nostalgia fodder you're getting old!

And when they're no longer nostalgia fodder I think it's fair to assume you really are old :lol:
  • tebbit
    tebbit Posts: 604
    It beats the altenative. :D
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    When I saw a TV set (Murphy V230) in a museum that I used to service when they were brand new! Actually, the radio in my study/workshop is even older and I used to service them, in the factory Service Dept, when they were current models in 1957.

Well, I can still ride my bike a bit so it's not all gloom :lol:

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Someone said to me, "You've lost your hair."
    I replied, "No I haven't...it's in a box under my bed."
  • I hate all this modern pop music. You can't hear the words!
    Let's close our eyes and see what happens
  • EDIT. Whoops, double post. (Must be getting old)
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    The first time that you are offered an eyebrow trim whilst getting your hair cut is a truly terrifying moment :lol:
  • Bronzie wrote:
    The first time that you are offered an eyebrow trim whilst getting your hair cut is a truly terrifying moment :lol:

Agreed. That and getting a nose/ear trimmer for christmas.
  • The freshers are now so much younger than me that they look like children :?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    Bronzie wrote:

:lol::lol::lol:
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • stomith
    stomith Posts: 332
    When those 'Wants' become 'Needs'

Need to go out and exercise. Need a wee. Need to keep my mouth shut. Need a new bike :)
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    The look on my wife's face when a young woman offered her a seat on a bus in London was real treat. Avice may be 69 but she's still good for a 100 mile bike ride and walks miles and miles every week. She has got grey hair though. She's never lived it down.

Actually, the biggest surprise was that anyone in London even thought of giving up a seat to someone deemed more deserving. I thought those times were well over. Probably a tourist like us :)

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    markos1963 wrote:
    When the Saga leaflets drop on the doormat :cry:
    ..........even worse, when you pick them up and start reading them :wink:
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    +1 on modern pop music. That's not music!

And the price of things now. When I was young, it was only so much...
  • Cressers wrote:

Of course nostalgia isn't what it used to be

I remember when we weren't nostalgic..........those were the days!!!!!
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    Bronzie wrote:
    If you get the offer ... I got a comb (remember them?) uncerimoniously shoved into one eyebrow and cut before I knew what was going on. By then it was too late and the other had to be done as well.

When I was asked if I wanted my ears 'tidied up' was a sad, sad day. :cry:
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Cressers wrote:
    The Past Times nostalgia shop is selling new versions of the Spacehopper, though as I remember them the originals were made out of a more robust and textured material. And flicking through a 'nostalgic look back through the deacdes' book I find the 70's, 80's and 90's are now listed!

When the times in which you grew up are nostalgia fodder you're getting old!

Of course nostalgia isn't what it used to be...

I have still got my 1971 Spacehopper in my shed (aka Humble Adminstrator's Pagoda). What's more, it is still inflated with 1971 air. :D And it is practically indestructible. No pale imitation made since has had the robustness of the orginal. Even the one we bought in 1974 popped! :(

Just think, the air inside my Space Hopper has kept the cheeky orange orb in shape for 38 years. When it took its place in the sphere of cheer, the internet, CD's, mobile phones, MP3's and carbon fibre bikes were mere sperm in the bollox of human endeavour. :?

Angel Delight, Sandwich Spread, Toast Toppers, Cremola Foam and Smash were the future. :roll:

and Bruce Forsyth was the biggest thing on prime-time Saturday TV. :shock:

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• Cressers
    Cressers Posts: 1,329
    I've got a warm, fuzzy feeling inside...

...oh, now it's outside...
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I blame hoodies and all young people generally.....
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Cressers wrote:
    ...Of course nostalgia isn't what it used to be...

It turns out that it really isn't.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}