Old Skool Monster (well i think so...)

fred2003
fred2003 Posts: 110
edited November 2010 in Your mountain bikes
This is my long awaited Diamondback XSL 2001.
It is my second frame as my first xsl is still awaiting paint.
I'll put a parts list up later.

Just a frame shot first ;)

IMG_0037-1.jpg

Anyway here it is in almost finished form.

IMG_0040-1.jpg

IMG_0045.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

Thanks,
Neil.
If you cant race it, and you can't take it to bed, what is the point?

Comments

• Looks really nice, great job. We may have some real talent here.. :shock:
  • missmarple
    missmarple Posts: 1,980
    Excellent stuff Neil, we should start an XSL club for those select few. I'm thinking of getting Slik Graphics to design me an old-school vinyl wrap for the bike. The only thing I want to upgrade is to a shorter white stem and to Novatec Hubs. Made use of the spacers like I have too? :lol: Nice forks mind you! :P
  • Ty ;)
    I can't wait to get her finished up and a big TY for the link for transfers not sure on black or red though?

I need to trim the seat pole down but not to far just an inch or maybe 2 as im 6ft 5 and its still too tall for me.

Another thing thats confused me a little is that the xsl almost complete weighs a lot less than the sintesi built up, must be down to components.

The main xsl will have to wait for a while now before i can do anything with it as its gonna cost a fortune to part it out.

The XSL club sounds good, just for us v.i.p old skoolers ;)

Thanks again,
    Neil.
  • fred2003
    Just a pic of it more recent with sticker/decals on.
    IMG_0051-1.jpg
    IMG_0053-1.jpg
    IMG_0054-2.jpg
  • Change the forks!!!

Apart from that its pretty sorted, looks rather nice!
  • bigbenj_08 wrote:
    Change the forks!!!

Apart from that its pretty sorted, looks rather nice!

Why does he need to change the forks, the whole marzocchi 'bashing' is a pile of shite, and he may not be able to afford to! Not 'every' pair of 55's etc are shite... just because someone in a magazine said so....... they are OK. If he is happy with them cest la vie

On a different note, I ran one of these frames circa 1999/2000 (when I was 26) and it was awesome. Bombproof to a degree. Paid about £600 for it give or take, they ran the same frame on low to top end models, very long wheelbase I thought.....

great, fun rides. Don't get bogged down by stiffness, tolerance and all that techy nonsense shite. Enjoy it...... I did :D
  • we obviously move in different circles... I don't know one person thats got on with a set.
  • bigbenj_08 wrote:
    we obviously move in different circles... I don't know one person thats got on with a set.

obviously we do
  • bigbenj_08 wrote:
    we obviously move in different circles... I don't know one person thats got on with a set.

obviously we do
    obviously!
  • missmarple
    Glad its turned out ok, I do agree it deffo has a very long wheelbase - its like taking a limo round a council carpark at times, especially with such a long stem.

It does look very impressive mind you!
  • fred2003
    Cheers guys, still short of saddle and outer gear cables but im in no rush to get her dirty just yet, just found out that i need more surgery to my right knee so can't do much at the moment.
    Roll on the new year then i can injure myself some more ;)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    ARGH! Marzocchi 55s :shock:
  • ARGH! Marzocchi 55s :shock:

Not another 55 hater.. :lol:

They surely can't ALL be that bad........ sure they may have omnre problems than most but surely someone muct have some positive feedback :wink:
  • Anonymous

They surely can't ALL be that bad........ sure they may have omnre problems than most but surely someone muct have some positive feedback :wink:
    No positive feedback here.
    I've had mine repaired 4 times now.
    In fact, the last time I sent them away to be repaired, I replaced them with Fox 36s.
    The curious thing is that they have been sat in the box since they came back, never used - but when I went to fetch them to lend to a mate, they'd broken again, all on their own - the damping has locked up again, even though they've just been sitting there :shock:

Same thing happened during a week in Glentress. 1st day was fine, went back to the B&B, and stored the bikes for the night. When I got the bike out in the morning, they'd locked up of their own accord overnight.
  • missmarple

No positive feedback here.
    In fact, the last time I sent them away to be repaired, I replaced them with Fox 36s.
    The curious thing is that they have been sat in the box since they came back, never used - but when I went to fetch them to lend to a mate, they'd broken again, all on their own - the damping has locked up again, even though they've just been sitting there :shock:

Same thing happened during a week in Glentress. 1st day was fine, went back to the B&B, and stored the bikes for the night. When I got the bike out in the morning, they'd locked up of their own accord overnight.

Thing is I reckon this is true, I reckon I may have inadvertantly seized up my 22s whilst out last week. Thank f*ck I've got three jobs now.
  • Thats rather worrying, especially since I have just bought a set of these (am on a budget and they got good reviews on here):
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... o-09-34190

Oh well!!!!
  • Anonymous
    Thats rather worrying, especially since I have just bought a set of these (am on a budget and they got good reviews on here):
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... o-09-34190

Oh well!!!!
    They'll be fine, it's Marzocchi's "premium" Air springs, and TST cartridges that bugger up. Those forks have neither, and will be as reliable as sunrise.

The 55s are so bad, that I refuse to sell them cheap on ebay, because my conscience couldn't bear dumping them on another rider.
  • fred2003
    Took a while but almost finished the 2nd xsl ;)

Heres how she looks...

paintedandecaled.jpg
    latest2.jpg
    latest1.jpg
    latest.jpg
    11082010008.jpg
    11082010009.jpg

And both together...

latest3.jpg
    latest4.jpg
    latest5.jpg
  • j_l
    j_l Posts: 425
    Cool, kinda super moto looking 8)

ps
    Man you need to mow your patio :lol:
    I'm not old I'm Retro
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    dont like the nit-pick but the pink one doesnt have a shock..... :wink:
    I like bikes and stuff
  • I love the white one, realy cool.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    [No positive feedback here.

Depressing, I've just had mine sent away for repair, that said I've learned a lot about downhilling with 30mm travel.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • joshtp
    [No positive feedback here.

Depressing, I've just had mine sent away for repair, that said I've learned a lot about downhilling with 30mm travel.

What damper is it? if its a TST2 and your not fussed about keeping the warranty... its a really easy damper to self service... PM me for details... I used to do it all the time on my 44's...
    I like bikes and stuff
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    basic 55r, the one with the suntour gas/nitrogen damper I believe. So either return/replace or drill to open bath....I think.

Thanks for the offer though
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • joshtp
    Shame... the tst2 is really tunable if you have the nerv/enough man beer
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Anonymous
    joshtp wrote:
    It's not just the damper that went on mine though, the air spring went. In fact, I think maybe the damping cart only failed once for me.
    Are you the one who was asking for my 55s a while ago, and I said I was waiting for an answer from Windwave?
    Someone on the forum did, but I've lost the PM :?
  • joshtp
    joshtp wrote:
    It's not just the damper that went on mine though, the air spring went. In fact, I think maybe the damping cart only failed once for me.
    Are you the one who was asking for my 55s a while ago, and I said I was waiting for an answer from Windwave?
    Someone on the forum did, but I've lost the PM :?

Ah... funny, my Damper went funny a few times, but the spring was fine.... (though mine were 44's...)

It was me.... I'll PM you now...
    I like bikes and stuff