ALMOST KILLED YESTERDAY.

ademort
ademort Posts: 1,924
edited December 2009 in The bottom bracket
Yesterday i finished work at 16.15 and cycled home along the normal route. There is only one traffic light on my commute of 16Kms so it,s no surprise that i always stop and use the lights correctly, i am not and never will be an RLJer.While i was waiting for the lights to change i could see/hear a car coming at high speed towards the lights.The lights changed to green and i duly set off to cross the road, but kept an eye on the car as i crossed. About half way across the road the car was driving at 100Km/h + and almost at the lights. There were no other vehicles waiting at the lights and this Mother F###er just drove straight through the lights without slowing or stopping. I managed to stop just before he shot past my front wheel. If i had not have looked then i would not be here now. A F###ing disgrace. The car was a Black Ford Fiesta, Male driver and no passengers. Hope this Tw#t gets what he deserves one day. I was very shocked yesterday and a little shaken.Please be careful out there everybody because you just never know what,s round the corner.
Ademort :evil:
ademort
Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
Giant Defy 4
Mirage Columbus SL
Batavus Ventura

Comments

• Must have been the day for it yesterday here.

Same thing happened to me when wobbling home from borrels. Guy wasn't doing 100 km/h though but the light was well gone red.

You and I both know red means 'stop if you want to' here.
    God made the Earth. The Dutch made The Netherlands

FCN 11/12 - Ocasional beardy
  • So, on the London green model, is this ''Limburg green?''
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    must be the weather or something. i saw an idiot on a motorbike nearly stop on a large roundabout deciding where he wanted to be and then pulled off across a car who just managed to stop. he didnt even notice what happened behind him.then on my way home saw a motorbike with an 8-9 feet fishing rod bag diagonally strapped across his back with the end no more than 7 inches from the ground. i was waiting for him to lean the bike over or pass close to traffic.
  • ademort
    Limburger wrote:
    Must have been the day for it yesterday here.

Same thing happened to me when wobbling home from borrels. Guy wasn't doing 100 km/h though but the light was well gone red.

On another subject, i was in the town centre today with the kids, while cycling home we approached a zebra crossing and could see people waiting to cross. Despite this, a police car just drove upto the zebra crossing and at the last second jammed on the brakes. He missed hitting the crossing pedestrians by metres. He never even apologised and as i looked into the car i got a really dirty look. What the F##k are some people thinking of. If the police dont abide by the law how do they expect anybody else to.
    Ad :evil: emort
    ademort
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • Mothyman
    Mothyman Posts: 655
    is it a full moon?
  • ademort wrote:
    Limburger wrote:
    Must have been the day for it yesterday here.

On another subject, i was in the town centre today with the kids, while cycling home we approached a zebra crossing and could see people waiting to cross. Despite this, a police car just drove upto the zebra crossing and at the last second jammed on the brakes. He missed hitting the crossing pedestrians by metres. He never even apologised and as i looked into the car i got a really dirty look. What the F##k are some people thinking of. If the police dont abide by the law how do they expect anybody else to.
    Ad :evil: emort

Don't even get me started on the Politie. They go through when its green for the bikes half the time.

• Actually. I just remembered some guy in a child wagon tried to drive over the side of me at a junction this evening. Was only on my way to jumbo for some cereal.

Needless to say he saw me when I was six inches from his bumper with a look of terror on me. I am one of the rarer ones with lights and a full complement of reflectors (wheel reflectors are soooooooo cool).

The guy waved some kind of apology which is the best you can hope for I suppose.

Idioot! (Taps forehead furiously)

• My set of hand built wheels were destroyed by some numpty in a dark purple fiesta pushing me into a pot hole in January this year. Needless to say the driver didn't stop. I got as far as reading this bit of the number plate: WR55*** when the idiot switched his lights off and vanished. Still I only had 1 mile to walk home...Oh for the days when we can legally carry shotguns... :twisted:
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • starbuck
    starbuck Posts: 256
    There's a big roundabout I cross when I commute to work and back everyday. There are 2 sets of traffic lights I have to watch so I can time my crossing right. When one set goes red, the other set has a slight delay before it goes green and gives me time to safely cross.

I know by the movement of the cars at each set of lights that there is at least 1-2 drivers that go through red nearly every day.

To make things worse, after it rains, there is a large puddle on the edge of the roundabout which I have to go past on the cyclepath. I'm sure some drivers have aimed for it specifically so I get soaked(they haven't managed it yet as I'm not as stupid as they are).

Police can be just as bad. I was pulling out from a side road a few years ago(had only just pushed down on 1 pedal) and had to stop for another car screaming past. Car behind me was not watching what they were doing and went into me and knocked me off. I had about 3 or 4 people come over and help me and say they would be witnesses. Turns out the car that went into me(normal looking car) was an off duty copper from another county(according to the ID). She told everyone to go away(I managed to get their info 1st though) and the details she gave me so I could charge her for repairing my buckled wheel, turned out to be her mother's number. Got the wheel paid for but seemed quite dodgy for a supposed "law enforcer/keeper" to dismiss witnesses and not even give me her own number.
  • ademort
    Limburger wrote:
    Actually. I just remembered some guy in a child wagon tried to drive over the side of me at a junction this evening. Was only on my way to jumbo for some cereal.

Needless to say he saw me when I was six inches from his bumper with a look of terror on me. I am one of the rarer ones with lights and a full complement of reflectors (wheel reflectors are soooooooo cool).

The guy waved some kind of apology which is the best you can hope for I suppose.

Idioot! (Taps forehead furiously)
    I guess you have the same opinion of the police as i do.You cannot help but laugh after watching Peter.R De Vries on TV telling the nation about the latest police blunders, cock-ups and cover ups. A bloody joke. Christ, if they had anything like that on British TV it would probably attract a bigger number of viewers per week than eastenders.
    Ademort :lol:
    ademort
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • solsurf
    solsurf Posts: 489
    I see a few people on here have had close shaves (I'm not talking about the shaved balls here) or accidents, including myself, in the last few days, it must be the silly season with the lead up to Christmas.

As said before be extra careful out there and extra cautious.
  • nicensleazy
    nicensleazy Posts: 2,310
    Safe riding!
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    ademort wrote:
    Yesterday i finished work at 16.15 and cycled home along the normal route. There is only one traffic light on my commute of 16Kms so it,s no surprise that i always stop and use the lights correctly, i am not and never will be an RLJer.While i was waiting for the lights to change i could see/hear a car coming at high speed towards the lights.

Sounds like you had clocked what he was going to do or at least have enough inkling to know an RLJ from the oncoming was likely.

Get plenty of practice at that using zebra crossings.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • ademort
    nwallace wrote:
    ademort wrote:
    Yesterday i finished work at 16.15 and cycled home along the normal route. There is only one traffic light on my commute of 16Kms so it,s no surprise that i always stop and use the lights correctly, i am not and never will be an RLJer.While i was waiting for the lights to change i could see/hear a car coming at high speed towards the lights.

Sounds like you had clocked what he was going to do or at least have enough inkling to know an RLJ from the oncoming was likely.

Get plenty of practice at that using zebra crossings.
    Having cycled for over 30 years i,ve learnt and seen a lot. The fact that the lights were on Red and this driver just kept coming at least 100+ when he was only 50M from the lights then you learn he,s not just going to slow down. Had a funny feeling as i was crossing that he wasnt going to stop and was proved right, would have been the end for me if i hadnt stopped thats for sure. On going through the lights he didnt even make any effort to slow down.Will be at the lights at the same time tomorrow evening and hope to get a number plate to give to the police for what its worth. People like this will kill somebody someday
    Ademort
    ademort
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    With any luck, next time he does that, there'll be a HGV in the junction :evil:
  • Kinda makes me glad my 'dale is still not up to scratch.Glad your ok mate, good luck all.
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100

Haha classic. It's almost like a war in Cambridge. The quantity of abuse thrown each way and the level of agression beggars belief.

It's a shame that didn't mention the buses, who are by far the worst motorised offenders in Cambridge. The roads are too narrow for bicycles & buses side to side, and buses regularly push cyclists out of the way as a result.

I know of 3 different people who are or have taken buses to court in the last two years for hit & runs by buses in Cambrige.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • Must be the time of year, I was knocked off last Monday South East London, bloke coming in opposite direction cut across my path leaving me nowhere to go at 20mph, two broken fingers, bruised right hand, bruised and cut legs, five stitches in chin and a written off bike.

Injury set on flickr
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/fixedwheelnut/sets/72157614310206838/
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    I thought Dutch drivers were a beacon of virtue and that was way shared space works there but 'will never work with British drivers' :wink:
  • The weeks before Christmas... plenty of stress & booze affecting peoples' driving habits.