Time for a clean

drabfurs
drabfurs Posts: 188
edited November 2009 in MTB beginners
Had my bike just over 3 months now and its time for a clean.

I have some Finnish Line dry teflon lube for the chain, but what other products do you reccomend to clean the bike, frame, forks etc

Any DO's and DONTs's

Thanks

Comments

• andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    i use muc off on frame and forks, just try not to get it on your brake discs and try to keep it of the fork seals, for the chain i use a muc off chain doc very easy and quick to use
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • stay well away from washing up liquid, Muc off is outstanding stuff and Fenwicks both are bio-degradable and are safe on brake discs and pads. couple all of this with a tooth brush and some elbow grease and your mighty stead will be shiny once more!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    And it'll probably help to clean your bike more often. Not all over, but a quick scrub of the drivetrain will make things last a lot longer.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • tjwood
    tjwood Posts: 328
    If you'd rather not line the pockets of bike shops and companies who are good at rebranding industrial detergent then any all purpose cleaner will do the job (e.g. Flash or the supermarket equivalents). Commercial-grade citrus based cleaner/degreaser works even better (e.g. Virosol - search Google or eBay for suppliers).
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    DO - clean your bike more often (after every ride ideally).

DON'T - leave it so long in future.

Make sure the drive chain and rear cassette is silver afterwards, it'll make life my easier (and cheaper) in the long run.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • You haven't cleaned your bike in 3 months?! Sacrilege!
  • drabfurs
    drabfurs Posts: 188
    Ok I have a 16 mile commute each day therefore with children there is no chance of a clean every day so just wanted the basics really. So muc. Off the way fw or just cif as its known these days
  • Gunk for me with chains and other greasy bits. Cheaper than Muc Off, use it for bothe my Carrera and motorbikes :) then chainsaw oil on the chain :)