moving a tub glued with tufo tape to a different wheel?

leonlikestrees
leonlikestrees Posts: 528
edited November 2009 in Workshop
Ok - first off, I don't want this thread to descend into a holy war of glue v. tape.

And now to the problem.

I use tubs for cyclo-cross. Until today, I had just one set of nice race wheels (Mavic SSC Paris-Roubaix based, 32h). They had big fat training tubs (Tufo T34's) because I was using them for the 3 peaks.

I 've just bought some new tubs more suited for shorter cross races - more Tufo's, but NOS Elite LPS's instead, and I also got an old set of 36h GP4s to build a second set of wheels out of.

Now I want to put the training tubs on the GP4's, and the new Elites on the SSC's.

I glued the T34's with Tufo Extreme tape.

Is there a way to do this that does not involve buying 4 new tapes (please don't answer, buying one pot of glue)

Anyone know what happens when you take a tub off that has used the extreme tape? Can I still glue it afterwards (I am considering just gluing all the tyres, however I want to explore tape options first too, and as stated at the beginning, don't want to just start a tape v. glue thread.)

Many thanks for your help.

Leon

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Unlikely - my experience of removing Tufo Extreme tape is that I end up chucking it when changing a tyre. Reusing tape presents the risk of rolling a tub too.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • bah. well, I don't really want to re glue them all, so I think I'll just leave them on "the wrong wheels" for now.

Leon
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    In the current conditions, I'd want the fattest tyres with the biggest tread for any sort of grip, I even find T34s a bitch sketchy at the moment, so suggest you're not losing much.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..