Gitane Restoration

Stan Dingup
Stan Dingup Posts: 40
edited December 2009 in Workshop
Hi,

Thought you guys might be interested in my winter project...

As a little bit of background, was looking at getting a road bike the winter before last after years of mountain biking. Was chatting to a mate and he offered to give me his old bike as it had been sitting in his shed doing nothing for the last 15 years or so.

I know nothing about road bikes but enjoyed working on my mtbs so gkadly took it off him.. Wheels were shot and te paint was flaky but seemed to fit ok. The plan was just to get it road worthy so stripped it down to bare metal and repainted with Hamerite in a can, new set of wheels and some new cables and off we go...

Rode it for a year and enjoyed it so much I bought a modern road bike last winter, a Felt F55. Love riding the Felt so the old bike sat in the shed, gathering dust and generally feeling unloved. Decided to get it going again last month so pulled it out of the shed and gave it a look over. Plan was to make it into a Pub bike with flat pedals for generally getting about.

Paint had started to flake a bit and after my not particularly successful spray painting last time off to the powdercoaters it went. While it's away I decide to a bit of research to see if I can find out what it actually is. I knew it was a Gitane from the original decals and I knew it was mid-eighties ish but that was about it. Found a retro Gitane website (www.gitaneusa.com) that had some resto pics of similar era bikes and a load of uploaded original brochures.

So, after a couple of evenings, turns out it’s a 1987 Gitane Team Pro, the same fram they gave to their Tour De France riders that year – turns out I’ve got a bit of a classic frame on my hands. Full Reynolds 531, internalcable routing and everything! Maybe this deserves to be a bit nicer than a pub bike…

So, picked up the frame from the powder coaters yesterday…

IMG_0033.jpg

Got quoted £70-£80 quid, got charged £30…Result!

(Anyone in Dorset need a powdercoat, have a chat to John Ballard Racing in Blandford)

I’ve fitted the shifters, and rear brake already as want to get a feel for how it will look…

I ordered some frame stickers from ebay so on with these next.

IMG_0037.jpg

IMG_0038.jpg

What I’m going for is a retro/high tech sort of look, bike will be used for some BHF events next year and am hoping to do the Dulwich Dynamo on it as well. Still love the Felt so that will be my main training bike, this will be sunny days and posing!

I already have a few parts knocking about that are definitely getting used:

Wheels: Ambrosio Excellence rims on Zenith Hubs (Black)
Levers: Cane Creek SCR-5
Headset: Campagnolo Record
Seat Post: Original Campagnolo Aero
Stem: Original Gitane Engraved (Black)
Bars: Cinelle Ergo (Black)
Calipers: Campagnolo Mirage (Black)
Front Mech: Campagnolo Centaur
Seat and Bar taoe: Charge Brown

I have got a 2008 Campagnolo Centaur Ultra Torque chainset sat at the bike shop waiting for me…

Now, I need some help with the gearing. It currently has 7 speed Shimano 600 DT shifters and rear mech and is running a 7 speed cassette with spacer.

Do I keep the gears as is (are?) , a Sram 8 speed chain should be OK on a 7 speed block and SHOULD be OK on the 9/10 speed chainset and front mech. If it doesn’t, I have a set of 7 speed Campag rings off a 90s Chorus chainset that fit but they aren’t as shiny as the new ones.

Alternatively, I can ditch the 600 and change to 9 speed Dura Ace, DT shifters, rear mech and cassette should be about £100 quid at the most.

I’d prefer to go all Campagnolo but I can’t justify new Record DT/TT shifters at 120+ on their own and as their 10 speed the total cost with a 10 speed Campag rear mech and 10 speed block would be £300+

I know the obvious thing would be Brake/shifters but I really like the look with DT shifters…

Any ideas….?

Comments

• I'm running Campag levers on my singlespeed, so why not find some knocking about? I got mine for less than £5, cause the gear shifter doesn't work on the rear shifter. Like I care.
    You should ask you LBS, they might be able to get hold of new old Campag stuff. You should also be able to use MTB stuff, depending on the rear dropout/hub size.

I love this bike. That is going to look fantastic. Good to see you doing the proper thing and trying to do it Campag.
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • I love this bike. That is going to look fantastic.

:lol:

Still leaves me with the problem of the DT shifters. I love the look of these and want to stick with them (DT shifters that is, not nescessarily these ones...) as Ergos would really spoil the look I'm after..

Shimano seems to have been doing thee for ages so it easy to get hold of the last couple of years' Dura Ace shifters for buttons....

However, with Campag the choice seems to be either 70/80s 7 speed, which means I will have to replce the rear mech with a Campag 7 speed of similar vintage (expensive and with no performance upgrade from the Shimano 600 I already have) or brand new, 10/11 speed Record with all the associated cost.

What I need are some of these...

34336.jpg

but either Campag or Campag compatible. I know I could run these in friction mode but would they they look right with Campag everything else?

The look I'm trying to get from this bike is retro technology but a modern version of it (if that makes any sense!)
  • So, the build continues...

Been chatting to some of the guys over on GitaneUSA.com and te general consensus seems to be the frame is a little newer than first thought. Probably early 90s rather than late 80s, built with Columbus SL. Still very much a frame worth doing right...!

Decided to stump up for a headset press as I couldn't face tw*tting this frame with a "universal persuader" and a lump of 2x4...

IMG_0081.jpg

Slid in incredibly easily, why didn't I buy one of these before..?

IMG_0082.jpg

Next job is the gearing, couldn't find any modern downtube shifters second hand so stumped up for a brand new set of Dura Ace shifters from CRC...

IMG_0083.jpg

She's starting to look more like a bike now rather than a random collection of painted tubes!
    IMG_0084.jpg

I'm going for a slightly eclectic Shimano/Campagnolo mix on the drivetrain. Dura Ace shifters, cassette and rear mech, Campagnolo Centaur chainset and front mech. Should work OK but fingers crossed...

As the chainset is Ultra Torque, I'm letting the bike shop fit it as it's worth getting the bb faced and chased...

More pics as the build continues...
  • So, got a call this afternoon to say the frame's ready to collect!

BB faced and chased and a shiny new Cenatur chainset all in place. Big thank you to Primera of Bournemout for also chasing through the threads on the rear derailleur hanger and tensioning the headset while it was in. Really appreciate that!

Anyhow, soon as the frame was home it's on to the stand in the garage for the next job.

The rear dropout screws were pretty bent out of shape so had very little movement so I left them in to protect the threads during the powder coat. But, how to get the bent screws out of the dropouts..?

IMG_0087.jpg

No problem at all in the end, hacksawed off the screws close to the frame...

IMG_0088.jpg

...a little bit of tidying with a fine file and unscrewed them from inside the dropout and out they came!

I managed to source replacement screws from SJS Cycles last week and they screwed into place perfectly. Little drop of thread lock on the knurled knb to keep everything together and job's a goodun...

IMG_0090.jpg

Another job done, still quite a lot to go but I'm pleased with tonight's work. I love details..!
  • That is just sooo beautiful! I did say that my shifter didn't work but it is possible to remove the gearing stuff from inside, leaving just the brake lever.
    It must still be possible to find old skool Campag shifters on ebay, or some such. I understand the DA though.

What handlebars and finishing kit are you thinking of? Maybe some pretty old stuff....?
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • lae
    lae Posts: 555
    Looking good!

I love restoring old stuff. Bikes, cars etc. Don't have the money or time or space for cars any more though.
  • Thanks for the comments guys, finishing kit will be mostly what partly what came off the bike originally and partly new stuff.

Seatpost will be an early 90's Campagnolo Aero post, stem is the original black Gitane logoed quill.

Bars will be some Cinelli ergos I have knocking about which are also black to match the stem.

I'm not trying to build a vintage replica, this will be a bike for actually riding - hence the modern DA shifters and rear mech to match. I have some Cane Creek brake levers cos I love the hood shape but brakes are still under debate. I have some black Mirage calipers knocking about which are perfect but don't know yet whether these will work colour wise or if they'll need to be polished ally; I'll decide later when some of the rest of the kit is in place (but if anyone has some silver Campag calipers they want to let me have at a reasonable price let me know..!)

Wheels are gonna be Ambrosio Excellence Rims on Zenith hubs, black/gold rims and black hubs. Next job is servicing these, getting the spoke tension perfect and true.

Finally, saddle and bar tape will be Charge brown...

All the above is subject to change as whimsy takes me...!
  • Right, so frame's at home and an early finish from work and it's time to start building!

This is my favourite bit about building a bike (apart from the shopping obviously!) as the collection of tubes and shiny mechanical looking bits starts to morph into something you can imagine spending long hot afternoons in the summer on!

So, to complement the new chainset, on goes the Centaur front mech..

IMG_0103.jpg

Next, in with the original vintage Campagnolo seat post...

IMG_0109.jpg

and original Gitane ITM stem.

IMG_0107.jpg

Next, screw in the 9 speed Dura Ace rear mech to match the downtube shifters and on goes the rear wheel. Bit of a tight squeeze as the hub is a standard 130mm but the rear spacing is old school 126. Slight squeeze apart of the rear dropouts and it slides in beautifully though.

IMG_0102.jpg

Finally for this evening, on with the brakes and front wheel...

IMG_0105.jpg

...and stand back and take stock...

IMG_0100.jpg

I reckon that'll do for today!

Anyway guys, would really appreciate any feedback at this stage. Is there anything standing out as glaringly wrong (apart from the slightly odd Campagnolo/Shimano drive train!)? For some reason the drop on the bars looks too deep but that might be because there's no bartape, saddle or tyres on yet. Anything else any of you would do differently?

Any feedback gratefully received as we're getting to the point of no return...!
  • Have you finished it yet? Any new pics?
  • tom_k
    tom_k Posts: 29
    that looks lovely and I've been looking all over for a pair of those dropout spacers, now spotted hidden away on the SJS cycles website. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    I would take that horrible charge lizard skin off the rear stay and replace with either a gold one or clear self adhesive one, it really don't match.

You might have a problem with indexing the gears after stretching the rear to 130mm from 126, but you will only know when the chain goes on.

I have to admit that fitting Shimano onto an Italian bike is IMHO sacrilege, similarly putting modern black brakes on is a no no, what about some nice super record brakes off fleabay, they aren't expensive as most only want new style, so you could grab a bargain.

No offence, just my thoughts.
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    Slow-N-Old wrote:
    I have to admit that fitting Shimano onto an Italian bike is IMHO sacrilege
    Gitane are French; I think the eighties aesthetic — black/silver mix bits, Shimano — is a nice change, in fact, expecially given the vintage. The bike's looking good (though I'd lose that leathery thing on the chainstay as well!).
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    It's lovely. But ergonomic bars? When did these come in?

Strava is not Zen.
  • Hey folks,

Thanks for the comments.

Been a bit of a delay on the bike at the moment as I get myself ready for Christmas! No big rush though as it won't be getting ridden in this sort of weather, I have other bikes for that...

Since the last pics I've cabled up the gears and all seems to run nice and smooth on the stand but I'll find out when it actualy gets ridden.

I've been waiting to sort pedals out before moving on with the build so I can get the cockpit set up right. Went for a pair of the A530s in the end...

28050.jpg

Thought they would be a good option as I want to use this bike for genarly getting about town in style and like the option of riding in normal shoes or SPDs as the mood takes without faffing with pedal swaps. I'll put my SPD-SL off the Felt on for longer/proper/charity rides.

I'm currently reserving judgement on the chainstay pad. The bike's going to have a matching Charge Spoon and the Charge brown leather hadlebar tape so it may work, if not I'll put a smaller chainstay protector on. anyone got anything they recommend?

Finally, I'm also not sure about the bars but i have them lying about and they've been comfortable in the past. I'll try them and then swap them out later iif they don't look/fel right...

Hoping to get some more build time over Xmas so I'll keep you updated....

Cheers for now and Happy Christmas all....
  • two comments about the decals

Why those as they are nothing like the origionals

and

on the right they should go down the seat tube and up the down tube

on the left they should go down the down tube and up the seat tube
  • balthazar
    I'm currently reserving judgement on the chainstay pad. The bike's going to have a matching Charge Spoon and the Charge brown leather hadlebar tape so it may work, if not I'll put a smaller chainstay protector on. anyone got anything they recommend?
    I'd suggest just using a clear plastic sticker, the kind most new bikes come with.

By the way, the groupset that so should have had is Shimano Santé:

ShimSt4L.jpg

Merry christmas!
  • Hey Balthazar.

Thanks for that link! Never heard of Sante before but reading through the dealer manual it would be perfect for this build...

May have to start trawling ebay and see what I can uncover over the next few years...

Particularly like the downtube shifters.. :D

Sante_87-ad.jpg
  • gundersen wrote:
    Why those as they are nothing like the origionals

There's virtually nothing on the bike that is original so why go for original decals? The correct ones for the year where the bubble type with lots of garish yellow. Very much not the look I was going for...
    gundersen wrote:
    on the right they should go down the seat tube and up the down tube

You B%$£&&^. You are quite right and now the right hand seat tube logo will always be on the wrong way round! :?

Still, at least the others are right...!
  • balthazar
    Hey Balthazar.

Thanks for that link! Never heard of Sante before but reading through the dealer manual it would be perfect for this build...

May have to start trawling ebay and see what I can uncover over the next few years...

Particularly like the downtube shifters.. :D
    Yeah I spent couple of teenage years with my head in a bike catalogue, lusting after a pearl white bike with Santé. And Makepeace.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If your frame is 126mm OLN then suggest it's early 80's rather than late 80's which is when the Sante group was around - it was 600 with a paintjob.

I also agree with the downtube stickers being the wrong way round - I have never seen a frame transfer with uphill lettering - the frame was probably resprayed from original
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..