Help! How do I refit my rear derailleur cable?

BobGeldart
BobGeldart Posts: 41
edited November 2009 in Workshop
I converted my 1980's stylee road bike to singlespeed many years ago. I now want to refit the rear derailleur but have lost the cable and cable guides. What do I need to reconnect the gears? There are no fittings brazed onto the frame, I have vague memories of a chrome cable guide fitted just below the front changer. The levers (frame mounted) and derailleur are Shimano 600s.

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    You can buy plastic BB cable guides that mount via a 5mm bottle cage bolt.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Why would I fit a BB cable guide to a bottle mount?
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Re-read my reply several times till you understand it.

I said bottle cage bolt, not mount. The bolt goes into the mount and also screws into holes elsewhere on the frame.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    I think you mean something like this on the down tube:

HuretCableGuideStopm.jpg

Or this on the seat tube:

0567.gif

with this on the chainstay:

ShimanoCSCableStopm.jpg

If so, I'm not sure where you can get them! this store is American, but still - maybe it'll jog your memory.
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    redvee wrote:
    You can buy plastic BB cable guides that mount via a 5mm bottle cage bolt.

If you feel confident enough and have the tools you could easily drill and tap a 5mm hole in the BB shell to fit a guide. You'd still need a dual cable stop fitting near the top of the front down tube if you wanted modern combined brake/gear levers and one on the chain stay near the rear mech. If you had down tube shifters it would be a bit easier.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster