4WD /SUV owners ''

2»

Comments

• ramemtbers
    ramemtbers Posts: 1,562
    ahh proper smoky true meaning of 4x4. now all you need i a bike trailer to tow behind it. :lol:
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 2,086
    It doesn't smoke any more. I'd just fixed the engine and hadn't set the carbs up properly.
  • My jeep (98 Grand Cherry) loves it in the mud, my lads moan when it's clean as they say it doesn't look right, my off roading exploits (or foolishness) have now resulted in me likely needing a new rear diff... sounds a bit poorly to me :(

But damn it will go anywhere and carry lots of bikes! most bikes carried in/on/around it...7

RockingDad
    2010 Carrera Fury
    1992 Raleigh Equipe
  • colintrav
    colintrav Posts: 1,074
    I'm actually a bit thick, and don't see why it's irritating to quote a post full of images.
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    ramemtbers wrote:
    PAJERO RULES!!! they are awsome cars. do you own it or did you just finf the pics on the web. to be honest they are ijn my top 10 of favourite cars.

Whatever you do... DON'T say you have a PAJERO in Spain...

It means w@nker

:lol:
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    Alex wrote:
    Because you wanted a powerful 4wd vehicle that had excellent towing abilities, but didn't want the road handling compromised by offroad ability that you're never going to use?

Oh Hai! All hail the Cakemobile!

That said, I owned a Diahatsu Fourtrak in the past. On the drive back home from the garage where I bought it, it got a tide mark 2" below the door handle. In the 3 years I owned it, it spent almost as much time off-road as it did on road. Was able to tow a easily a Rover P4 on a trailer.
  • To be honest if i want a tow car, will borrow matts car.,, plenty of torque.. to be honest my 1.9tdi will tow most stuff you can legally toe on road.

Most of these 4*4 vehicles are driven by people who tthink they are better safer cars because they are bigger which is complete hash.. I mean having driven the LR descovery3(09plate) a fair bit my veiw is, its awful on raods i have driven 15 year old fiesta's that are nicer to driver and the economy on them is pathetic.

If you go green roading or its a works/site vehicle(even Farmer in here) then yeh.. but mad do i get annoyed by city mums dropping there kids off at school, then promptly nearly running ohter kids over or someone else car.. its just silly.

These things are my last truly passionate pet hate... horrible things!
  • What car has Matt got? Don't think I've ever heard it mentioned? :wink:

That was a JOKE by the way, not an excuse for certain people to start having a bloody go.......again.
  • yeh couldn't help myself there lol..

Sorry Matt you know ya love a good josh
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    I think the current un-named car would be fine of the roads were dry and smooth for towing but total gash in any slippery conditions. RWD isn't great for towing TBH. The traction is reputed to not cope well with very adverse conditions. Not experienced it yet but if it snows (not likely) we'll use the Jimny!

The Jimny however does an amazing job of towing our little boat (which, added to the trailer, is right on the weight limit for it) - naff all bhp and torque BUT amazing clearance and proper low ratio gears. We used a LC Amazon to tow it out of a tricky spot once (very slippery cobbled slipway) and it was all over the place - the Jimny just goes. No good for distance towing though.
  • ramemtbers
    my mates mum has a jimny. the 16valve engines sound meaty for what they are, :lol:
  • Surf-Matt
    ramemtbers wrote:
    my mates mum has a jimny. the 16valve engines sound meaty for what they are, :lol:

85 rip roaring horsepower - grrrrr... :lol::lol:
  • ramemtbers
    yeah. pretty beastly :lol: err i just realised our skoda has mo hp. oh well have you seen them in the rhino off roading club though????
  • Surf-Matt wrote:
    ramemtbers wrote:

85 rip roaring horsepower - grrrrr... :lol::lol:

i'd imagine the Jimny wouldnt weigh much at all. Might only have 85bhp, but the power/weight ratio cant be that bad

edit- just checked, 1148kg. only 100kilos heavier than a new corsa and thats with the 4wd gear. more power too (1.3cdti 75bhp), so a similar power/weight . not bad at all
    whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons
  • Surf-Matt
    It's very slow though - 60 in about 13-14 seconds and max speed of 85ish! Quite a peppy little engine and you have to rag it.

But it never breaks down, goes anywhere and is almost as easy to park as a Smart car. Still fun though - RWD when not in 4WD and easy to slide the back end around (cart springs at the back). It's quite a handy little car.

My mum, inlaws and grandparents-in-laws have one each!
  • ramemtbers
    my maates mum also hit a deer in her jimny. hehehe. the jimny came off worse. the radiator split the grill was mashed and a couple of scratches. :lol: all sorted and it looks like new.
  • actually, that corsa is 0-60 in 13.5, so looks like the jimny was way ahead of its time

powerslides in a jimny could be fun though :D prob have more fun in the jimny than that corsa :wink:
    whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons
  • ramemtbers
    my mates brother was sliding on gravel. he got loads of stone chips inthe side, his mum then started asking questions :lol:
  • Surf-Matt
    Most 4x4s would struggle to get where we sometimes park ours (when loads of people are here):

Amazing what you can have fun in if you try!

Phonepics001.jpg
  • ramemtbers
    i dont know what it is about them but i love them!! :lol: 8)
  • Surf-Matt
    Some amazing YouTube vids of them too - they can do crazy stuff off road.
  • ramemtbers
    yeah. i am going to check them out on youtube. never looked to be honest.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 2,086
    SJs aren't clever or powerful, but they tread very lightly and will out climb a heavy land rover in slippery conditions. If I didn't have Wonky I'd totally have a modded sj