C02 Cartridges

Paul 8v
Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
edited December 2009 in MTB beginners
Do many people use CO2 cartridges or stick woth the trusty mini pump? I'm trying to work out if there's any advantage apart from speed of inflation, unless you take a few extra cartridges which may negate any weight advantages.
Also, is it ok to use a shock pump for tyres? It would be a real pain having to carry two pumps.
Cheers

Paul

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I take a CO2 inflater. a pump and a shock pump.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Paul 8v
    Looks like I'll need the larger camelback if I've gotta carry all three :lol:
  • S_J_P
    S_J_P Posts: 908
    CO2's a great way to inflate, but can be expensive. Buying in bulk's far cheaper than purchasing two or three cylinders at a time, but it still costs around 50p per inflate, and you'll probably need a mini-pump to top-up anything bigger than a 2" tyre. They're a real boon when it's wet, cold, and you're in a hurry though, and well worth 50p!

I also carry a Specialized Windpipe which doubles as both a tyre and shock pump.
  • Is a shock pump really necessary past the first few rides and bedding in?

CO2 is a god-send if you run tubeless/ghetto/stans etc. for re-seating the tyre properly...
  • Paul 8v
    Are tubeless tyres the same sort of tubeless you used to get on a track bike or is it a new type of set up? Been out of the scene for a while you see....
  • S_J_P
    CO2 can prevent sealant from working, so whilst it's great for re-seating problematic tyres, you'll still need a pump to replace the air a few times to reduce the CO2 proportion.
  • i would say a c02 catridges costs 50p but you dont use a whole cartridge in one go.
  • S_J_P
    A single 16g CO2 cartridge will inflate a 26"x2" tyre to around 35psi, maybe a little more, so they should really be considered one-shot devices! They also get bloomin' cold, so make sure you wear gloves or invest in a 10p neoprene sleve!
  • I always use them, and whilst slightly more expensive, are so much easier! Would recommend the SKS one shown in this link as have used it for over a year with no problem and also the canisters already have sleeves on so dont freeze-burn your hands....also are very small so fit easily in a pocket...(by the way I dont actually work for SKS just like this pump..)
    http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/sks-airg ... 44105.html
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    thomas123 wrote:
    Would recommend the SKS one shown in this link as have used it for over a year with no problem and also the canisters already have sleeves on so dont freeze-burn your hands....l

I've got this one but messed up when I bought replacement cartridges for it. Can't remember which ones I got but I thought they would all work to a standard, and the thread seems the same but is too long, the one I did use just punctured when I screwed it in really tightly and inflated really slowly.

What canisters do you use?
  • 77ric
    77ric Posts: 601
    i carry a couple of CO2 cartridges with me and a specailized windpipe, the co2 for quickness when it's lashing down from the heavens and the windpipe covers both my shock pump requirements and my mini pump requirements. plus the handle doubles up as an emergency tyre lever and houses a single puncture patch kit as a bonus. mind i also carry another patch kit and levers etc.
    Fancy a brew?
  • gaz047
    gaz047 Posts: 601
    i carry a pump and co2, i use the co2 only when i've got a flat in an exposed area and the weather is shite, or if im on a night ride. getting cold isn't cool, if you get me
    if it ain't rainin.....it ain't trainin
    Stick your 'rules' up your a%se
  • You can get pumps that take a CO2 cartridge and combine the two. Not used one myself as I've never been sure about using CO2 before but might give them a go when it the time comes to change my pump I've got. But a combined pump is the way to go imo.
  • has anyone with co2 inflator ever tried using co2 canisters from "homebrew" shops? i've seen some in wilkinsons a while back and didnt know why they are used, are they used in soda streams or something similar? they are a little smaller than the ones used in bike shops but for a few pounds you get a small bag of them. cant see why they cant be adapted to work, even if you have to use a few more to get the same effect.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    chriszs wrote:
    You can get pumps that take a CO2 cartridge and combine the two. Not used one myself as I've never been sure about using CO2 before but might give them a go when it the time comes to change my pump I've got. But a combined pump is the way to go imo.

I got a Planet-X carbon combined CO2/pump for under a tenner - works well.

Okay, the pump would be a real chore, but it is only there as insurance against running out of CO2.
    planet-x-CarbonPump.jpg