That's Torn It

Wallace1492
Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
edited November 2009 in Commuting chat
Well a nice wet commute home last night. Got back in just enough time to get dried, changed and down to play squash, then about 20 minutes in, went for a ball afew steps in front and wham! Calf muscle felt like the other guy had whacked me really hard with his racket. He hadn't of course....

Looks like torn calf muscle. Off to see quack later this morning. Looks like will be off bike for a while, hopefully no more than a few weeks. Still, better now than in the middle of summer!!

Ah well.....
"Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"

Comments

• Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    :shock: Ouch!

Just a thought. Had you stretched after de-biking and before squashing?

On the other hand.................. lots of alcoholic 'recovery' time with culinary delights to take the edge off :wink:

Look after yourself sir.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Ah, that sucks. Unlucky, mate.

One reason I gave that sport up, actually. Could see myself running into a wall or something.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Wallace1492
    Cheers. Had streched a little, but not a lot. Gentle tap around to begin with, and with the cycling probably made me think I did not need to stretch too much.

Yes, walls close in fast, but I think it is great fun. Improves reaction time, and explosive power.... just didn't really bargain for calf exploding inside my leg!!

Alcoholic and culinary recovery time = reduction in fitness, sliding back down that snake!!
    After all my good work of last few months.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Can you swim (to keep the CV fitness up)?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Bad news, Wallace. Hopefully it won't be as bad as you fear. Do you get private medical with work? If so, get yourself on the physio's table as soon as possible.
  • Wallace1492
    Yeah, have some health cover, need to check out what, as never used it before. Swimming not really an option, not a swimmer, think comes from a childhood fear of water.

Well, see what doc says this morning, then pursue physio if that would help.

No bruising this morning, so that is a good sign that it might not be as bad as it could be. Might just require the RICE treatment. Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation.

Weekend of tv ahead.....
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    ouch unlucky fella.
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • solsurf
    solsurf Posts: 489
    sorry to hear about that, sounds painful, a couple of years ago broke my ankle, so I took up swimming, hated it at first, but now I can give those strange tri people a run for their money.

Here's to a speedy recovery :)
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Extra food and drink during the month of December is an annual requirement. It increases the internal heat one generates whilst cycling, enabling the legs to power the bike more efficiently. Therefore, no reduction in fitness levels :)

I'm a genius I am :wink:
  • Oh no! You poor thing... I really hope it's a minor tear... fingers crossed for a quick healing time.

Everyone be very careful, you especially Wallace. VERY CAREFUL. You wouldn't want to spend Christmas in plaster, would you?
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Ouch.....hope the recovery's a full and quick one.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439

No bruising this morning, so that is a good sign that it might not be as bad as it could be. Might just require the RICE treatment. Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation.

Weekend of tv ahead.....

BRICE surely :wink:
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Wallace1492
    prawny wrote:

Weekend of tv ahead.....

Beer? Bevvy? Buckie? Belhaven? Bristol Cream?
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Blowjob.
  • Wallace1492
    biondino wrote:
    Blowjob.

I am not that flexible!!
  • I had the exact same thing happen to me last year, except it was volleyball (the day before the Norwich 100). 2 months off riding, 7 trips to the physio. Don't even think about riding until you have it assesed by a physio, they get worse before better. My physio was not suprised with my injury, quite common for "active men of a certain age". The physio sesssions can be a bit brutal but they are necessary. I can still feel the scar tissue in my calf.
    We need a bigger boat.

Giant OCR 4
    Trek Madone 5.2
    Ridgeback Speed (FCN 15)
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    prawny wrote:

Weekend of tv ahead.....

Beer? Bevvy? Buckie? Belhaven? Bristol Cream?

I was thinking beer, but any of the above would do. Obviously biondino's suggestion would be ideal, but I'm all to aware that treatment is not readily available to all.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Suffered from a torn calf muscle earlier in the year. Get to the docs as soon as you can and then onto a physio. Managed to do both on the same day as the injury and the physio was really happy to get to work earlier rather than later. Had four or five sessions of ultrasound, together with soft tissue massage and was back on the bike within two weeks. As said above, plenty of rest, ice, compression and elevation.

Good luck mending....
  • RossMu
    RossMu Posts: 59
    Hope your ok mate
  • Wallace1492
    Well, doctor said small tear, no ligament damage. But no sports till the new year :shock:
    Got some stuff for the swelling, and will look into some physio in next couple of days. Just need to rest just now and let healing process start, then give muscle a little gentle exercise.... walking will do!!

Just need to make sure I dont turn into a slob!!
  • R_T_A
    R_T_A Posts: 488
    Physios are evil people who love causing as much pain as possible. I've dated two :wink:

Hope it's not as bad as initially thought - take it easy.
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.