how often oil chain

tolmie
tolmie Posts: 45
edited November 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi everyone, im new to mountain bikes, got my spec rockhopper a few weeks ago. I use my bike round abour 3-4 times a week. I've had the bike about a month now, how often should I lube the chain. I only do about 2-3 miles a ride.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Have a look at it - is it coverered in blavk grime? If so, clean it and oil it.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 2,086
    Better still, if the bike's a month old, try not to clean it for a bit. The grease that comes on the chain as new is brilliant stuff and far superior to anything you'll ever manage to apply to it, and will stick around.

Unless of course you WD40 to death.

If there's no grease left, make sure you re-lubricate your chain with a good quality wet weather chain lube like Finish Line.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Cleaning is just as important as lubing IMO, doesn't need to be a big project mind, just throw it in a coffee jar with some paraffin or white spirit, give it a shoogle, and when it comes out it'll be brand new. Then relube with the quality lube of your choice. Only takes minutes... Actually faster than doing the chain on the bike in my experience.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Northwind wrote:
    and when it comes out it'll be brand new.

Trust someone from north of the border to find a way of never buying a chain again. :lol:
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Ah, but it's a pointlessly expensive chain :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    a shoogle......?
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • Cheshley wrote:
    a shoogle......?

In lowland Scots, the verb 'shoogle' means to rock back and forth with small rapid movements. From the late sixteenth century dialect noun 'shog',
  • r3 guy
    r3 guy Posts: 229
    in this weather we are having, i clean and lube after every ride
  • i tend to wash the bike (every time if its wet, not so often if its dry) to remove all of the old grease, water displace it straight away and then leave it for the water and the displacer to dry and then oil it
    Drop, Berm, Jump, Sky, Sky, Sky, Sweet Beautiful Earth OUCH, OUCH,OUCH, ****! GORSE BUSH!!!

Giant Yukon FX2
    Kona Stab Deluxe 2008
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    every ride (Weldtite TF2 Lubricant Spray £2.50 fo 450ml) and sometimes if im going on a long one i'll use chain wax instead.

avoid using motor oil that cost me a mech hanger and a rear mech as its gets sticky, soaks up sand and jams
  • My new bike will come with a Shimano HG-73 chain - how easy are these to split? It is recommended with the equivalent of a powerlink? Should I change the chain at the outset to a SRAM one perhaps?
    Specialized Roubaix Pro Expert 2020
    Boardman HT Pro Ltd Ed MTB
    Boardman Pro Carbon Road Bike (Turbo Trainer)
    Charge Mixer
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    no need to change the chain, just buy a couple of powerlinks.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Wicked2627 wrote:
    My new bike will come with a Shimano HG-73 chain - how easy are these to split? It is recommended with the equivalent of a powerlink? Should I change the chain at the outset to a SRAM one perhaps?

Just done this job myself as a newby.
    If you use a half decent chain slitting tool should he a doddle.

If not sure quickly see if you can get the shop you buy the link from to quickly take the link out.
  • Wicked2627 wrote:
    My new bike will come with a Shimano HG-73 chain - how easy are these to split? It is recommended with the equivalent of a powerlink? Should I change the chain at the outset to a SRAM one perhaps?

If not sure quickly see if you can get the shop you buy the link from to quickly take the link out.
  • Wicked2627 wrote: