Gift for the cycling obsessed?

Lady_Dee
Lady_Dee Posts: 5
edited November 2009 in The bottom bracket
Hi

Could anyone give me some advice on what to buy my cycling obsessed boyfriend for xmas? I know nothing about cycling or bikes and would love to get him something that he would use and really like.

any advice?

Comments

• What type of riding does he do road or mountain bike? Does he do his own maintenance?
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    ...possibly a price-range would be an idea, before people come up with 'helpful' ideas? :wink:
    Cycling weakly
  • He does road riding, yes i think he does do his own maintenance, I know he spends a fortune on wheels etc, he has a spin bike also for training,
  • I was thinking under £150
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    possibly some Assos clothing?
    Cycling weakly
  • Buying presents for cyclists (or any other sort of sport) is a pain in the ar5e IMO. Trouble is, if you get something utilitarian like a pump or tools then he's likely to have all that stuff anyway (and it is a bit boring), but if you get something a bit nicer like bits for the bike or clothes then you have to be dead sure he'll like them, and cyclists can be very picky about that sort of thing! If it were me, I'd get something like a really good quality base layer because you can't really have too many of them, they do make a big difference to comfort on the bike, and the style of it isn't too important.

Edit: just seen you're thinking of spending over £100, which is rather a lot for a base layer!
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    Clothing and decent eyewear would be around that price, although both are a VERY personal choice. Clothing size would also need to be spot on as it's quite an issue if things are too large/small.

Winter is fast approaching so maybe something to keep him going when it hits would be good - like a balaclava, decent gloves, neoprene waterproof shoe covers, etc... He may already have all that though.

If he's really in to his cycling, maybe a book or DVD of a cycling film would be good. There's a lot of them to chose from. I doubt he'll already have them all...

Or - book a holliday somewhere warm with the money and tell him to bring his bike.
  • boneyjoe
    boneyjoe Posts: 369
    Call me ungrateful or whatever, but I honestly wouldn't want anyone to buy something like this without first checking it out. I'd say, discuss it with him to see what he wants, and then plan a nice trip to the shops together to buy it, and he will be much happier. :wink:
    Scott Scale 20 (for xc racing)
    Gary Fisher HKEK (for commuting)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited November 2009
    Rapha gift voucher.

Or, how about having a weekend away at a six day event?

Or going to a revolution meeting in Manchester, shop during the day, go to the meeting and stay in a nice hotel...

Or a sportstest
  • Thanks guys, I may just get him some vouchers and a couple of dvd's as I think he probably would be particular about the clothing, although I do like the holiday idea, maybe rotterdam for the start of the tour de france :)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Please see edited reply...
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    NapD - great idea. Sportstest would be a gift I would love.

Does he have rollers or a turbo? Might be something to consider if he doesn't have already.

Some nice oakley shades?
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Best surprise present I ever got from an ignorant buyer (in the nicest sense!) was a photo frame made out of bicycle chain. It sits on my desk bearing a photo of me going up the Ventoux, glistening with sweat and picked out against the shimmering moonscape.

Narcissist? Moi?

Otherwise, I have a lot of clothing that isn't what I would have chosen and an avalanche of books about cycling, many of which are rather poor.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• 1footedninja
    1footedninja Posts: 269
    edited November 2009
    couple of pairs of socks, some new underwear, chocolate, new deodorant and some beer.... oh! thats what im getting.....again.
    'since the flaming telly's been taken away, we don't even know if the Queen of Englands gone off with the dustman'.
    Lizzie Birdsworth, Episode 64, Prisoner Cell Block H.
  • Moaner
    Moaner Posts: 117
    Rapha winter tights - £170 - wonderful
  • Lady_Dee wrote:
    Thanks guys, I may just get him some vouchers and a couple of dvd's as I think he probably would be particular about the clothing, although I do like the holiday idea, maybe rotterdam for the start of the tour de france :)

Or the finish is Paris?