Componet advice

Sodfoster
Sodfoster Posts: 412
edited November 2009 in MTB beginners
The reason I ask this crazy question is at around the price im looking to spend I believe the components are very similar across the bike manufactures so I want to know what I should be looking out for...

I have a budget upto £850 to spend on a new bike and I just wanted to know what components I should be looking for within this price range. Ie What would be a good fork to look for RS Tora-Reba? What brakes Avid Juciy 3-5's? What cranksets....... you get the gist.

I have been looking at the Trek 6300-6500 2009 models and the Rockhopper SL Comp both feel good but what are the real benefits. The Dawes XC 2.4 seems a still for the components although I cant find any reviews..... Or should I aim for small company bikes such as Charge or Genesis ??
Dawes Tamark DX (RIP)

Cube Acid 2010 (RIP)

Saracen Zen 3 (RIP)

Giant Anthem X5

CdF

The whole white bike thing was just coincedence........

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Was looking in that price range for a bike for mrs.blitz earlier this year. tbh the mainstream bikes are all pretty much the same component-wise although Giant seem particularly penny-pinching with cheapskate headsets, bargain-basement BBs and their own brand Root brakes.

The Trek 6500 had a great spec and would suit someone with XC aspirations - it was a bit twitchy but nimble and responsive. Settled for an HKEK in the end - virtually the same bike in terms of spec, just a bit more relaxed.
  • Back in the day Rockshocks used to be the best on the market! I know Fox forks are excellent, what about Suntours and RST's I see a few of the 2010 bikes have these brands.

On another note what are peoples views on Cube bikes?
    Dawes Tamark DX (RIP)

Cube Acid 2010 (RIP)

Saracen Zen 3 (RIP)

Giant Anthem X5

CdF

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it depeds on the bike they are on.

OE kit can be very different from on bike to another.

RS can be good. Fox can be good. RST can be good. Marz can be good.

but they can all also be crap.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Let me get this straight..... according to you they are all good and crap!!!! What the f..k!

How enlightening how do you keep such good information in!!
    Dawes Tamark DX (RIP)

Cube Acid 2010 (RIP)

Saracen Zen 3 (RIP)

Giant Anthem X5

CdF

• xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    If you go for a Trek go for the 6500, it has a better fork.
  • nicklouse
    Sodfoster wrote:
    Let me get this straight..... according to you they are all good and crap!!!! What the f..k!

How enlightening how do you keep such good information in!!

yes.

the Dart is a poor fork, the Tora is an excellent budget fork and the Reba is excellent.
    all sold as RS forks.

you want to generalize then we can as well.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Cheers that actually helps

I generalize because Im not an expert (which you obviously believe you are!). So from beginning generalize I can narrow my questions down (if you allow me to post more threads)
    Dawes Tamark DX (RIP)

Cube Acid 2010 (RIP)

Saracen Zen 3 (RIP)

Giant Anthem X5

CdF

• nicklouse
    like i said you need to look at the whole picture of the bike as at any given price level there will be compromises.

Some bikes might have a better fork and a lower level set of components.

Or a lower fork and better components but a lower grade set of wheels.

what makes the biggest difference. One a bike that fits and feels comfortable for you.
    then a good fork and light wheels all hopefully on a good frame.

the "group set" who cares wait it it wears out.

Like i said look in the what bike thread, yes it is 2009, but i will give you some ideas ato what is good and what was not. what the strong points are etc.

them get your butt on some leather (fake) and see what fits.

then it will come down to what is the best deal.
  • nicklouse Thanks for the advice, I apologise for the personel message earlier
    Dawes Tamark DX (RIP)

Cube Acid 2010 (RIP)

Saracen Zen 3 (RIP)

Giant Anthem X5

CdF

• nicklouse
    :wink:
    not read it yet. and i think i will not.