SpokeLit LED - change the colour?

Cafewanda
Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
edited December 2009 in Commuting chat
My lights finally arrived earlier today. I've got two, in blue.

Just had a thought re the colour. Am I likely to get hauled to the side and 'advised' to change the colour?

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Possibly. I've heard of people getting stopped for blue tail lights on here.

Go on ebay and buy some tyreflys. Cheap as anything.
  • Should be fine, I can't see many Police having that little to do. Mine go blue occasionally, and I've never been stopped.
  • GraemeT
    GraemeT Posts: 155
    I'm having problems with my tireflys.

I changed the batteries and re-assembled them. 1 set won't switch on and another set won't switch off.

Can anyone help?
    Just Keep Pedalling
  • I've got a blue spokelight, never had any police take any notice of the blue light so think its fine.
  • Heehee that's why I went for red! There's only one way to find out... might make drivers give you an even wider berth! :)
  • I did get a Polish bloke telling me I looked like "a policja", looking down I saw the front was red, the back was blue and I had a huge, flashing light on the front. I saw his point, but decided to tell him he looked like a ninja.
  • but decided to tell him he looked like a ninja.

See I'd take that as a massive compliment given I would then be able to hide in shadows, throw shurikens and fight really well... :D
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Cafewanda
    Heehee that's why I went for red! There's only one way to find out... might make drivers give you an even wider berth! :)

Only got a wide berth when I first went on the road and fear made me wobble big time and during the summer once they'd figured out I was female, not often enough though :roll:

I'll test the lights tomorrow night and report back.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Mine are multiple coloured but then I'm ace!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Cafewanda
    I'd like to report that my lights work brilliantly. Very pleased with them :D

However, so far, taxi drivers and one or two sports car drivers felt the need to take a closer look at them last night :roll: , but navigating the E&C roundabout felt safer.

The Boys in Blue drove by without a comment last Friday night (two separate occasions/cars), so that's a relief.
  • number9
    number9 Posts: 440
    These:

http://www.safetysmartgear.com/Products ... keLit.html

Is that them?

Can you get them in blue?

If you cycle above 13,14 mph, do the lights merge and blend to make a wheel of colour?

Cool.
  • That's them. Pro Bike Kit do them cheaply over here, and in more colours. Mine fade from one colour to another. Yes, they do blend into a solid ring, but I'd say nearer 21 mph on 700c wheels. Not a problem though, surely? :D
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    I had several compliments on mine (the DISCO colour-shifting ones) last night going through town!

One pedestrian who clearly remarked "wow!" to their companion as I rode past, one person at the bar where I was dancing wanted to get a pair for herself, and a bloke walking his dog about midnight as I was coming up the hill home said "nice wheels!" from a patch of grass the other side of the road :D
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I've had similar compliments for my Monkey Lights, including:

- Wow!
    - Look at that cool wheel!
    - Mummy! Look!
    - Woah, those lights are sh*t-hot!

:D
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • number9
    Ordered, the red and the blue Spokelit LEDs.

Now, what in the name of left-handed Greek buggery are Monkey Lights?
  • number9 wrote:
    Ordered, the red and the blue Spokelit LEDs.

Now, what in the name of left-handed Greek buggery are Monkey Lights?

Monkey Lights: Customisable LED output using relatively basic electronics (soldering etc.) plus computer to setup your own unique light patterns on what is basically a large scale Spokelit. Great for fettlers ;)

I have a Rainbow Racer (non-customisable, multi colour stream of light in a tube that spirals from the hub to the rim) on the front wheel of my Pylon8 (along with some spoke beads :oops: ), with a red (near rim) and a green (near hub, on opposite side of wheel) Spokelit on the rear... All from "The Glow Company" e-store (great shop for pressies and little gadgets).

Who is up for a "here is a night time pic of my commuting bike and me in Xmas lights mode" thread? :lol:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    I'm up for that! Think it needs video, though.... I'd need to do something to show off the reflectives too mind...
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • bradford
    bradford Posts: 195
    edited December 2009
    Cafewanda wrote:
    My lights finally arrived earlier today. I've got two, in blue.

Just had a thought re the colour. Am I likely to get hauled to the side and 'advised' to change the colour?

Maybe you should install Rainbow coloured lights! :lol:
  • A post from another thread that is relevant here regarding the SpokeLit product, images of the product in action and where to buy. Plus a discount for Bike Radar members.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 4#15710824

Cheers!
  • Mithras
    Mithras Posts: 428
    I'm going to take my lead on this from the boy racer and truck driving community.
    It would appear that if your blue lights are solid (ie not flashing) then they are legal! The problem emerges when you have flashing blue lights. As mentioned before, you may get away with flashing blue lights for quite some time before one of the boys in blue just happens to have the time to stop you. Then that could be a £30 fine coming your way.
    I can afford to talk softly!....................I carry a big stick!
  • Cafewanda
    Thanks Mithras. They are solid blue lights.

Tempted to get more now :roll:
  • GraemeT wrote:
    I'm having problems with my tireflys.

I changed the batteries and re-assembled them. 1 set won't switch on and another set won't switch off.

Can anyone help?

Look on here: http://www.tireflys.com/adjusttirefly.html
    Condor Pista
    50x16
  • Agent57
    I've ridden past police vehicles a few times in the past week, with my blue LEDs lit. They've yet to stop me.

Of course, if they wanted to, first they'd have to catch me - and there's no way they'd manage that through Lancaster without putting on the woo-woos.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • teticio
    teticio Posts: 107
    dumb question - do these lights typically fit on the schraeder valves or on the other ones (whatever they are called again)?
  • number9
    They slip into the spokes.
  • Cafewanda wrote:
    Thanks Mithras. They are solid blue lights.

Tempted to get more now :roll:

Where from?
  • number9
    Was there not a LED set that could be fitted to a bike wheel and programmed to spell words?

Did I dream it?
  • Agent57
    number9 wrote:
    Was there not a LED set that could be fitted to a bike wheel and programmed to spell words?

Did I dream it?

You can do that with the MonkeyLectric Video Pro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT13ZcpwYtA

Very impressive, but that costs a lot.

There's also SpokePOV, which is a self-build kit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWO11zQzAp
  • number9
    $2000!

Madly impressive, a bit costly for me!
  • number9 wrote:
    $2000!

Madly impressive, a bit costly for me!

Budget version (and a version for those who can't be bothered to program their own:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.27255

Three AAA batteries though, might unbalance the wheel a bit.