How do i indicate straight on?

ride_whenever
ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
edited November 2009 in Commuting chat
On approaching a traffic light controlled t-junction where you want to go straight on into your drive (ie not take the left or right options that everyone except you will take) what is the best way to indicate this intention?

I usually just take primary, but today i guess i'd not been completely clear because some twunt tried to pull round me (via the right turn only lane) and left hook me. Fortunately me glaring at the dozy bint stopped her completing this manoeuvre.

For the record I was well in front of her, and had filtered past whilst traffic was moving circa 200m before the junction and taken primary from 50m.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I would sit in the centre and indicate right, that will stop left hookers and will inconveniance no-one who is actually turning right and keep you safe.

I have a similar situation and indicate right on the basis that drivers anticipating you'll turn right will do the right thing for you.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • the issue with that is that there are two lanes, one for left and one for right...
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    I regulary use the hand up in the air sign to indicate I'm going straight on, I often point down the road before I put my hand down.

I bit like the "I intend to go straight on" signal you'd give to a traffic cop directing traffic:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg ... 070565.pdf

Not an official signal, but I get the impression it's very useful as I hear cars often slowing behind me when I do it and then turn left behind me.

I use the "I'm slowing down" signal too, which seems to confuse the hell out of many.

On a roundabout I'll often point down the road I intend to go down rather than signal left or right (or in addition to signalling left or right).
  • On approaching a traffic light controlled t-junction where you want to go straight on into your drive (ie not take the left or right options that everyone except you will take) what is the best way to indicate this intention?

I usually just take primary, but today i guess i'd not been completely clear because some twunt tried to pull round me (via the right turn only lane) and left hook me. Fortunately me glaring at the dozy bint stopped her completing this manoeuvre.

For the record I was well in front of her, and had filtered past whilst traffic was moving circa 200m before the junction and taken primary from 50m.

Don't know if there's really that much you can do. Spanners trying to drive round you is par for the course IMHO. I'd say just make sure you're on the right of a car in the left turning lane of left of a car in the right turning lane, or if you can, directly in front or behind.
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    As TheBeginner said and get in the right hand lane.
  • prj45
    edited November 2009
    I have a similar situation and indicate right on the basis that drivers anticipating you'll turn right will do the right thing for you.

If there's space filter past your left at speed?

edit: sorry, didn't realise the road doesn't continue!
  • use the right lane and signal to turn right.
    "It is not impossible, its just improbable"

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    The problem with using the right lane to go straight on is that then you'll get the occasional moton who will try to undertake and right hook you, just as happened with the left hook. It might still be the better option though, just don't expect it to stop everyone.
  • I tend to actually start pointing where I'm going in that situation, if the lights are red try and catch the eye of the drivers either side of you and point at your drive, then continue pointing as you pull away, if you've the balance.

Seems to work for me! I have a similar situation cycling to a friend's house.
  • prj45 wrote:
    I regulary use the hand up in the air sign to indicate I'm going straight on

That's cool. You'd look like Superman. :lol:
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I tend to actually start pointing where I'm going in that situation, if the lights are red try and catch the eye of the drivers either side of you and point at your drive, then continue pointing as you pull away, if you've the balance.

Seems to work for me! I have a similar situation cycling to a friend's house.

yep, I'd sit plum in the centre and indicate straight forward
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    I'd get in a position where I can go where I want to without motorists being able to cut me up. Doesn't matter if it holds them up, it's only a few seconds. In this case I'd either go from the right-turn lane, or the middle of the left-turn lane, far enough out that people can't left-hook me but not in the way of the right-turning traffic.
  • prj45
    That's cool. You'd look like Superman. :lol:

Must stop wearing that cape.

OT, but riding a smooth running bike is sort of the next best thing to unaided flying I guess, especially if you stick your head forward (so you can't see your bars) and put your arms out.
  • I have a similar problem with a left fork off a 60mph dual carriage way where I want to go straight on. I tend to stay in the left lane and signal right. Scares the hell out of me.
    I ache, therefore I am.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,161
    I've pointed forwards when coming up to mini roundabouts when I want to go straight on/second exit: cars have seemed to clock that. Just have to make sure it doesn't set off a 'wobble' :) Not had exactly the same problem as you though.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]