Brakes on Balance Bikes - Are they really necessary?

SlowingDown
SlowingDown Posts: 129
edited December 2009 in Family & kids cycling forum
Not much more to add to the title really. Most of the balance bikes you see now have a rear brake or option for a brake but are they really needed and do your kids use it or just scuff their feet?

The reason I ask is that the Puky LR is on my shortlist but the brake option adds on quite a lot of cost.
===============================
Ribble Sportive Racing: FCN 2
Tricross Sport: FCN 4
Cannondale R600: FCN 3
Scrapheap Rescued SS, in bits: FCN 9

Helmet wearer

Comments

• the brake is good because it teaches kids braking... balance and braking are a good combo to learn together then pedalling at a later date
  • In theory great, although theres no way my son can actually reach the brake or pull it with his tiny little fingers.....
  • baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    Nup.

They stop with their feet. They don't really understand it. Nor do they have the strength to use it. If the bike comes with it... fine. But I wouldn't bother sourcing one with a brake. I reckon it's more just some effective marketing to concerned parents.
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • not needed but good to have, the levers are smaller and easier to pull, however this kid doesn't need them!
  • Definately not neccesary as my oldest 2 have managed fine without. However may be a good investment against the damage to shoes done by braking with the front of their shoes!
    Vicky
    Trying to cycle with 3 under 5's
  • Thanks everyone. For a number of reasons (not least the silly money people will pay for stuff on ebay - bye-bye old wooden learner bike...) I went for a brand new Islabikes Rothan in the end, which has the brake.

I like the idea of it being there but still feel that my 2 year old will not make a great deal of use of it for a while, especially when she has a perfectly good pair or shoes she can scrape to death.
    Ribble Sportive Racing: FCN 2
    Tricross Sport: FCN 4
    Cannondale R600: FCN 3
    Scrapheap Rescued SS, in bits: FCN 9

Helmet wearer