Perhaps the only question....

josame
josame Posts: 1,141
edited November 2009 in Pro race
Sorry if this has been a topic before...

Contador's greatness will not be judged on how many TDF's he aquires because then he will only be compared against Armstrong. He needs to try to do the double.

Can he do the Giro /TdF double?
'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'

Comments

• thomasmc
    thomasmc Posts: 814
    Could he do it - Yep
    Will he try it - Nope
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    thomasmc wrote:
    Could he do it - Yep
    Will he try it - Nope

Maybe not this year - but hopefully in future years. Can't see why he couldn't do a triple with the right team around him.
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    Pokerface wrote:
    thomasmc wrote:
    Could he do it - Yep
    Will he try it - Nope

Maybe not this year - but hopefully in future years. Can't see why he couldn't do a triple with the right team of doctors around him.

Corrected...
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    josame wrote:
    Sorry if this has been a topic before...

Contador's greatness will not be judged on how many TDF's he aquires because then he will only be compared against Armstrong. He needs to try to do the double.

Can he do the Giro /TdF double?

Even if he does he will only be compared to someone else. The who's better thing goes on all the time in all sports and rarely , if ever, is anything SOLVED. It's just talk among friends(and maybe enemies). Probably wouldn't matter how much he won, there would
    still be comparisons to others.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    I don't think Contador cares. He's quite a relaxed guy and isn't too bothered about his place in history or the number of ranking points. He just wants to do his best.

Either way, if he avoids scandal and injury then I imagine he'll end his career as one of the best riders in history, certainly the leading GT contender of his generation.
  • As has already been said, champion will always be compared against champion and Bertie's no different. Merckx was compared against Anquetil, Hinault compared to Merckx and Indurain compared to Hinault, with Lance compared to them all. It would be great for the sport to see Contador win all three GT's in a single season as opposed to a calendar year, but I think if he is to be seen as a truly great legend, he needs to bag a few big one day victories. He's tailor made for a race such as LBL but has yet to win a stand-alone, single day road race of any sort. I think he needs a World RR victory and a LBL or FW to really cement his place in the history books.
    But even without these hoped for additions to his palmares he's still a great rider IMO.
    Let's close our eyes and see what happens
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    i was thinking that he could prob do the Giro - Tour - Worlds triple and be the first since 87 to do it but as others have said there is so much money on the tour no one would jeopardise that by doing the Giro first