Finally converted to tubeless....

M6TTF
M6TTF Posts: 602
edited November 2009 in MTB general
And it was a doddle!! Got bontrager select rims on my trek so I bought the bontrager rim strips, tried them but they don't fit my bloody rims :( to be fair they don't say tubeless ready on them. So I nipped to b&q and bought a roll of gaff tape. Cut it in half as I pulled it and stuck it down twice around the rim. Added the valve and and a bit of tape to hold it. Fitted tyre, a new mud-x 2.0 and moved it about to get the bead in place as as possible. Banged on the track pump and it inflated first time!!! Let it down, bunged in some stans solution and job done. Took about 20 mins each wheel. Not sure I'd bother with a proper kit in the future :)

Comments

• M6TTF
    One flat this morning:- note to self, must remember to tighten up the valve core once pumped up lol
  • Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    Weird the Bonty strips don't fit, they are quite tight to put on but I can only assume the width was wrong?
    As you have done a non standard conversion I would recommend that you check tyre pressures before every ride. I ran a ghetto tubeless before & didn't pay attention to this until the tyre ripped off the rim on a high speed stop. I reckon the pressure had slipped below 20PSI which made the seal fail.

Tubeless is great though 8)
  • M6TTF
    Cheers for the tip! I really tried to get the strips to fit, but there was no way they were going on, I could only get one side to clip in under the edge of the rim, the other side just wasn't having any of it. The ex8 rims are different to mine and say tubeless ready on them so guess mine just aren't compatible.
  • M6TTF
    Checked again this morning and I am losing some pressure overnight, is it a case of adding more solution?
  • Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    It's certainly worth a try, as it's a 'fresh' tyre most of the sealant has probably been used sealing all the tiny holes. Give it a shake to see if there's still some sealant sloshing about, if not then yes you will need some more, I'm not sure that a non ust tyre will ever fully seal though.
  • M6TTF
    I'll bung some more in then, I only used one small bottle of stans per wheel (60ml) and I can't hear it at all.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    When you've put some sealant in give the wheel a spin then turn it on its side, shake and reverse, get the sealant into all the small pores.

Whilst Mud-Xs aren't properly UST they do usually hold air very well when sealed, weeks at a time without losing any. They're also a reasonably stiff carcass so you can run them soft, I've had mine below 20 for grip when it's really slippery.