Declining Fitness Levels

autobahn
autobahn Posts: 114
edited November 2009 in Road beginners
At this time of the year my only time out on the bike is one day a week , usually the weekend when I average 3/4 hours covering 40- 60 miles.
Last weekend I was out in strong winds and rain and found the going really tough. Ive been out in similar conditions before but I was particulary shattered after this run.
I'm feeling my fitness levels are going into decline as we get further into winter, meaning I'm finding my one run of the week tougher each time. I dont want to go into decline to the point of becoming de-motivated and putting the bike away until Spring.
Family/ work commitements make training hard.

What do you do to keep fit during the weeknights other than going out on the bike?
I dont have a turbo though do spend some time on an exercise bike on my weekly trip to the gym.
Is/has anyone experienced anything similar?
How do you keep the fitness levels up now the weather is crap?

Comments

• Get a turbo trainer :twisted:
  • peanut1978
    peanut1978 Posts: 1,031
    get out on the road, its not that cold, wet, windy.....

sorry, just in frm a ride, and it is that cold, wet, windy.....

buy a turbo
  • MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    I think its important to start thinking about your goals for next year
    Once you have done that its far easier to keep the motivation up
    Weather has been mild so far so night riding really isn't an issue and the wind just means that you get more out of a session
    Have you thought about a few cyclocross races through the winter?
  • Flasheart
    Flasheart Posts: 1,278
    I went out last night too.
    It was soooo windy it was a struggle to hold a line on the road. :x
    Personally I think if I got a tubo trainer it would be a short lived novelty and a waste, but that's just me. Others are more committed (or should be :D ) and really apply themselves and use them all the time from what I gather.
    I've got the lights and I have the foul weather kit (and a washing machine) so I'll just ride in all weathers APART from ice. If it's really that bad I can always use the treadmill I bought last year (another novelty) :roll:
    The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle. ...Stapp’s Ironical Paradox Law
    FCN3
    http://img87.yfrog.com/img87/336/mycubeb.jpg
    http://lonelymiddlesomethingguy.blogspot.com/
  • owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    Ride to work. As long as you live within a sensible distance of course.
  • Dess1e
    Dess1e Posts: 239
    owenlars wrote:
    Ride to work. As long as you live within a sensible distance of course.

+1 Even if you only commute 3 days out of 5, its the best way of maintaining some sort of winter base.