Which Rollers ?

Dickie.F.M
Dickie.F.M Posts: 27
edited November 2009 in Road beginners
Hi there,
Looking at buying set of rollers in the next week or so. And was wondering which ones people would suggest. Budget of £175 - £200. Choosing rollers over turbo trainer just simply because they look more fun and not quite as boring. Any suggestions.

Thanks Richard

Comments

• hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    I have the CycleOps rollers, with resistance...

Enjoy.... :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    Kreitler are good quality, but perhaps overpriced. They come in 3 drum diameters, so you can choose the set that suits your abilities (smaller diameter = more resistance, but slightly harder to ride). You can add the killer headwind fan for more resistance and for the fan obviously, or add a flywheel, which again increases the resistance but also gives a more realistic road feel.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Try one of these if your budget allows. Much easier to ride (imo) than conventional
    rollers.
    3980312313_05a10f03f2.jpg

You can also look at what Kreitler has to offer.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If a turbo is boring - you're doing it wrong.
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    Ive been considering the Tacx Antares (parabolic) rollers @ iro £120
    tacx_antares1.jpg

...plus the Tacx Speedmatic Magnetic Braking System for the T1000 (which I understand can be added to the rollers?) @ iro £70
    T1350-roller-med.jpg

*I'm not 100% sure that these two units are compatible, so would welcome any input. :D
    Cycling weakly
  • cougie wrote:
    If a turbo is boring - you're doing it wrong.

I think i worded it wrong. I don't think a turbo trainer would be boring. It's just i believe that i would enjoy the challenge of the rollers more. Weird i know.

I've been looking at the elite ghibli (unsure if thats the right spelling) anyone have any comments on those. The kreiter's look really good. Have re-thought my budget can go up to £250. If anyone has any ideas of extras i should get. That would be cool.

I know it's a hassle. But never bought rollers before.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    More problems but still living....
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Yes rollers are definitely more of a challenge - but when you are doing flat out stuff - you have enough of a challenge just breathing ! Great for developing a good pedalling style though.
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    skyd0g wrote:
    Ive been considering the Tacx Antares (parabolic) rollers @ iro £120

...plus the Tacx Speedmatic Magnetic Braking System for the T1000 (which I understand can be added to the rollers?) @ iro £70

*I'm not 100% sure that these two units are compatible, so would welcome any input. :D

Wouldnt recommend the braking unit. Had one and it broke. I got the Cyleops instead, while more expensive they are fantastic and suitable for all intervals except very short sub-minute sprints.

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=6750
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • Got the Tacx Antares, gives you a good workout and pretty demanding on concentration :)
    Jens says "Shut up legs !! "

Specialized S-Works SaxoBank SL4 Tarmac Di2