Shimano Deore XT brake problem

drabfurs
drabfurs Posts: 188
edited November 2009 in MTB beginners
On ride yesterday I noticed the tension in my brakelever lessen and the brakes are not as sharp as they were. I have a kink in the brake cable which I have tried to straighten, however there is still a bend in it. Do you think its the cable causing the problem or do I need to adjust the brakes? If so what's the best way of adjusting it

Thanks

Comments

• Just to clarify, are they hydraulic brakes or cable brakes?
  • thesim1990 wrote:
    Just to clarify, are they hydraulic brakes or cable brakes?
    drabfurs wrote:
    I have a kink in the break cable

I think that answers it.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • Not necessarily - the OP may not know that hydraulic brakes use hoses, as they look the same as cables (To the casual observer)

If you didn't learn anything today, you weren't paying attention!
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    Deore XT will be hydraulic. Good chance it is the kink in the hose (rather than cable). Anyhow you would always want to get this attended to no matter what part of the brake you were repairing. Replace the hose. If it sorts the problem, fine. If it doesn't, check the seals, the pads, the reservoirs and bleed the brakes. You wouldn't want o do all this without sorting the hose.
  • drabfurs
    Hence why I am in the beginners section. They are hydraulic so sorry yes hoses.learn something new everyday
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 2,086
    A kink will have damaged your hose leading to a pressure drop. You will need to have this replaced.

Take the opportunity to upgrade to a Goodridge Hose, which will sharpen up your brake's performance massively as well as being un-kinkable.
  • drabfurs
    Ok thanks Alex will take your advice. Is it worth upgrading the back break hose to? How difficult is it to change the hoses, are there instructuions anywhere ? Am v new to biking again and esp my new bike
  • Alex
    If you've got another £30 that you haven't another use for, yes it's worth it. Obviously with braided hose, the longer the hose, the better the resulting increase in performance.

The kits do come with instructions, however you'll have to have the kit to cut the hoses and a bleed kit to bleed them.

It's a lot of faff, honestly. Get a bike shop to do it.
  • drabfurs wrote:
    Hence why I am in the beginners section. They are hydraulic so sorry yes hoses.learn something new everyday

Of course - hence the signature on my posts.

BTW - Can you also learn the difference between 'brakes' and 'breaks'? :wink:

If you didn't learn anything today, you weren't paying attention!
  • rubins4
    rubins4 Posts: 563
    Alex wrote:
    Obviously with braided hose, the longer the hose, the better the resulting increase in performance.

Eh? Come again.... :?: :?:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12613038
    Anyway, fk dis, I iz off 4 a ride innit. l8rz peepz
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    Think he means the less chance of a kink developing and restricting fluid flow.
  • Alex
    No, I mean that the longer the hose is, the better the appreciable increase in the performance of the brake. In so far as back brakes are always spongier than the front by virtue of having a much longer hose.

Standard hose is like a balloon, very stretchy compared to braided stuff. The more you have of it, the more lever power goes in to stretching hose rather than pressing brake pads onto rotors.

Braided hose basically does not stretch, so you end up with very precise firm brakes, regardless of the hose length.

Hence, you get more benefit from upgrading the rear hose than the front.

Plus the head dissipation increase and damage resistance.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Mmm braided kevlar hose.

Sorry Alex metal braided not needed.

:wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Alex
    nicklouse wrote:
    Mmm braided kevlar hose.

Sorry Alex metal braided not needed.

:wink:

Shimano hose is very balloon like. Upgrading makes an appreciable worthwhile difference.
  • drabfurs
    Thanks for the advice, will find out how much my lbs charge to carry out the work. What should a rough price be?

Appleogies 4 the paw gramma and speeling in my orangeinal pooste :lol:
  • Alex
    A replacement hose kit from CRC is £31 an end. So from your LBS you should be looking at between 30 and 40 to buy and fit, per end. Depending on whether you bring them coffee and doughnuts or not.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Alex wrote:
    Take the opportunity to upgrade to a Goodridge Hose, which will sharpen up your brake's performance massively as well as being un-kinkable.
    Ah, you just can't beat the placebo effect. More money must mean better, surely.
  • Alex
    Can't beat having actually used the product for the past five years whilst having identical brakes on another of your bikes without the product for comparison.

Product works. Does what it's supposed to do. Is superior to the standard in performance and longevity. Is a sound investment.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Just keep telling yourself that, Alex.
    Hey, maybe if you believe enough marketing guff, you'll actually become a better person - maybe even the bestest person ever.
  • Alex
    I am the bestest person ever. You just need to get to know me :wink:
  • Ham, shut you you twerp.

Alex is the best of the best of the best. Sir!

Well, so he keeps telling me :wink:
    Advocate of disc brakes.