Ribble 7005sl vs Planet X

rriiicchh
rriiicchh Posts: 13
edited November 2009 in Road beginners
Hello,

Firstly I'm sorry yet another newbie looking for advice, I guess it is the commitment fear that all newer users feel when about to plonk a considerable amount of money down, so please be gentle with me.

For around about the same amount of money I can get either a Ribble 7005SL with Campagnolo Veloce with the Skeleton brake option, carbon seat post and the Sella Italia C2 gelflow or the Planet X Pro Carbon with Ultegra and a 105 casette or the SL Team Alu with the same groupset

http://www.planet-x-warehouse.co.uk/aca ... Promo.html
http://www.planet-x-warehouse.co.uk/aca ... m_Alu.html

I haven't had a chance to ride either bikes and as a Southerner it is quite a trek for me to go to their factories. I personally feel that going carbon on my first road bike is silly but with the current offer it makes it just inside my price bracket so perhaps was swayed by it a bit.

I feel with Ribble that I can get a good deal and get a bike that will be a good allrounder which frankly for my first proper road bike is what I need.

Just looking for the advice of a few expert eyes that have gone through this process before.

thanks.

Comments

• pianoman
    pianoman Posts: 706
    When in doubt, take the more reputable company.

In other words, Planet-X :D

(Even if I would take Campag every time over Shimano) :P
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    PianoMan wrote:

Absolutely nothing wrong with Ribble, why are you implying that they are disreputable?
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    rriiicchh wrote:
    Hello,

Firstly I'm sorry yet another newbie looking for advice, I guess it is the commitment fear that all newer users feel when about to plonk a considerable amount of money down, so please be gentle with me.

For around about the same amount of money I can get either a Ribble 7005SL with Campagnolo Veloce with the Skeleton brake option, carbon seat post and the Sella Italia C2 gelflow or the Planet X Pro Carbon with Ultegra and a 105 casette or the SL Team Alu with the same groupset

http://www.planet-x-warehouse.co.uk/aca ... Promo.html
    http://www.planet-x-warehouse.co.uk/aca ... m_Alu.html

I haven't had a chance to ride either bikes and as a Southerner it is quite a trek for me to go to their factories. I personally feel that going carbon on my first road bike is silly but with the current offer it makes it just inside my price bracket so perhaps was swayed by it a bit.

I feel with Ribble that I can get a good deal and get a bike that will be a good allrounder which frankly for my first proper road bike is what I need.

Just looking for the advice of a few expert eyes that have gone through this process before.

thanks.

A lot of the parts options on the Planet X build are now out of stock BTW, so that may make your choice for you.
  • pianoman
    Absolutely nothing wrong with Ribble, why are you implying that they are disreputable?

Maybe the "dibble" posts in other parts of the forum?

Plus, not every company would re-supply you with two carbon bottle cages like what some people have said with Planet-X. That's a big hit they will have taken to their profits but surely a sign of how good their customer service must be. We've even got a few of their "lines" on the shelves of my local bike shop!
  • blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    The carbon Planet X, no question. To be honest I'd spend the extra to get the £999 full Ultegra model, it is a fantastic bike.
  • PianoMan wrote:

Maybe the "dibble" posts in other parts of the forum?

Plus, not every company would re-supply you with two carbon bottle cages like what some people have said with Planet-X. That's a big hit they will have taken to their profits but surely a sign of how good their customer service must be. We've even got a few of their "lines" on the shelves of my local bike shop!

But I thought the breaking bottle cage thing was pretty isolated? It'd have to be on a major scale to "hit" their profits IMO. But as you say it is good customer serice when all said and done. The only trouble with Ribble is waitng for the bike to arrive. I've not heard any grumbles once people have got their bikes. Infact they are quality items and having seen all the ranges in the flesh. Ribbles cosmetically look much better.
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • Escargot
    Escargot Posts: 361
    PianoMan wrote:
    Plus, not every company would re-supply you with two carbon bottle cages like what some people have said with Planet-X. That's a big hit they will have taken to their profits but surely a sign of how good their customer service must be.

That's crazy talk :wink: I read a thread about some broken PX cages and they were clearly defective.

Replacing faulty goods is not excellent customer service. It's normal :?
  • pianoman
    Maybe I'm being just a bit cynical but what if this policy was misused, say it broke in a crash because you caught your pedal on a kerb?

Proof if ever it was needed that I'd always be too cynical to run a bike company :P
  • skinson
    skinson Posts: 362
    Funny, When ribble did the sportive with ultegra it must have been a "sh1te" frame!!!
    But as planet x do one it's OK!! Hmm Seems like the ones with planet x bikes bikes do all the whinging
    Dave :wink:
  • HonestAl
    HonestAl Posts: 406
    I've tried over and over to phone Ribble to buy stuff. Never ever managed to get through. Hence I've never bought anything. I know other have managed OK so I guess I've just been unlucky.

I've bought stuff from Planet X and have never had any reason to be other than delighted wirth their customer service. For me at least they've gone beyond what I'd expect to be normal when I've given them unusual requests. I can't enter into the "who's frame is better" debate (especially as I've got a Ti frame which makes my view irrelevant in this comparison) but in customer service terms, by my experience alone there's no comparison.

The UK cycling world does seem to be split between Planet X lovers and the rest, and I've seen plenty of people throw muck at their frames (even to the point of direct outright lies as many here will remember from a hastily removed thread a few months ago) but I don't recall ever seeing anyone criticising PX's customer service.

So if that's important to you, I'd vote Planet X
    "The only absolute statement is that everything is relative" - anon
  • PianoMan wrote:

I knew the word ribble might cause a bit of a stir and was perhaps the sticking point from me committing to it and the reason I didn't want to commit to the planet x is the lack of campagnolo.

Any recommedations for a campagnolo (veloce) bike around 800-900 ish

Choices choices.
  • if you want campag on a Planet X you could try Geoff Butler:

http://www.gbcycles.co.uk/eshop.asp?wci=product&wce=CY09PXSLPV01&desc=PLANET-X+SL+PRO+VELOCE
    Mens agitat molem
  • flasher
    I just don't understand what the problem with Ribble is, personally I've made at least 3 orders with them and received the goods within 3 days, I also bought a set of wheels from Planet X and also received them within 3 days, both seem very good.

As for not being able to contact Ribble by phone at least they have a phone number, try finding a number for Wiggle.......................... Ribble appear to be predominantly an e-company these days so email is probably the best way to reach them.

Anyway back to bike choices, Geoffrey Butler in Croyden now stock PX bikes and do a Planet X SL Pro Veloce, built for £999, I'd go for the blue one 8)

http://www.gbcycles.co.uk/eshop.asp?wci ... PRO+VELOCE
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Flasher wrote:
    I just don't understand what the problem with Ribble is, personally I've made at least 3 orders with them and received the goods within 3 days, I also bought a set of wheels from Planet X and also received them within 3 days, both seem very good.

Wow!!! 3 Orders!!!

I've ordered Sh!tloads from Ribble, and buying from them is not a problem. It's their warranty/aftersales service that is shyte.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Flasher wrote:

As for not being able to contact Ribble by phone at least they have a phone number, try finding a number for Wiggle.......................... Ribble appear to be predominantly an e-company these days so email is probably the best way to reach them.

They seem fine for component/accessory purchases. I have, however, emailed them on many occasions and have never had a reply (including emails about a prospective bike purchase). I have succeeded in getting through on the phone, after many failed attempts, the level of service I then received clinched the sale - with Planet-X!!!! - Ribble were downright, blatantly, rude and ignorant - no way was I going to give them £1k! Obviously my experience was both unlucky and unique (yeah).
  • flasher
    [
    Wow!!! 3 Orders!!!

I've ordered Sh!tloads from Ribble, and buying from them is not a problem. It's their warranty/aftersales service that is shyte.

Indeed, I like to spread my largess around....
  • Takis61
    Takis61 Posts: 239
    I ordered a Sporrtive from Ribble in May & had no problem with customer service, & plenty of response to e-mails, including changing the spec. on my order.
    Frankly I would think it is just a bike choice, both companies have their advocates & detractors.
    My knees hurt !
  • redddraggon
    I have both a Ribble frame and a P-X frame.

And TBH, P-X were the harder ones to deal with on the frame purchase, they seem more helpful but they seemed to screw up more, but they sorted the errors out quickly, if Ribble had made an error they would probably have spent weeks sorting it out rather than a few hours that P-X did.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Flasher wrote:

Wow!!! 3 Orders!!!

Yet you still buy as you say " sh1tloads" from them. How strange :?
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • redddraggon
    Yet you still buy as you say " sh1tloads" from them. How strange :?

They are generally the cheapest so I take the risk. Failure rates aren't all that high, so their low prices out weigh the hassle when something goes wrong.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Yet you still buy as you say " sh1tloads" from them. How strange :?

They are generally the cheapest so I take the risk. Failure rates aren't all that high, so their low prices out weigh the hassle when something goes wrong.

Even if they are cheaper after a couple of problems I'd bin them and go elsewhere. My money would be better spent at somewhere more deserving no matter what the savings. Rather than risk the russian roulette of when wil it arrive and when it does will it be right.
  • Flasher wrote:
    Anyway back to bike choices, Geoffrey Butler in Croyden now stock PX bikes and do a Planet X SL Pro Veloce, built for £999, I'd go for the blue one 8)

http://www.gbcycles.co.uk/eshop.asp?wci ... PRO+VELOCE

Interesting find, that is really stretching my budget to almost breaking point to be honest.

I am looking for a general all-rounder bike so would going for the Carbon model over the Alu model be sensible.
  • Dess1e
    Dess1e Posts: 239
    If you do go for the Ribble, make sure you pay on credit card. That way when they ignore your calls and e-mails you can still get your money back.
  • blorg
    rriiicchh wrote:
    I am looking for a general all-rounder bike so would going for the Carbon model over the Alu model be sensible.
    Depends what you mean by all-rounder- what is the intended use? Unless you want to load it up with a rack and panniers and go touring the globe the PX would be a good choice for general road riding. What you won't be able to stick on the PX would be tyres bigger than 700x25c or full length mudguards- but I don't think you can do that with the Ribble or almost any other modern road bike either. If you are OK with that it is a phenomenal bike to ride. I bought one for use as a winter bike and it rides as good as my summer one (Litespeed Archon.) Very very light bike for the money too.

th_planet_x_1.jpg

By the way the new Ultegra 6700 is a lovely groupset too, I would say it is a fair step up from Veloce. The new lever hood shape is sort of halfway between old Shimano and Campagnolo. In ways I think it is actually better than Dura Ace 7800- certainly the brakes are phenomenal. If you are set on Campagnolo though the Geoffrey Butler offer is a good one, they are a good shop to deal with too.
  • Thanks for the very helpful replies everyone espeically blorg.

By all-rounder I mean winter/summer general fitness and probably some commuting. I also plan to enter a few events with it so just a good general bike.

I think I'm going to go for the Planet X just need to work out the sizes of everything and then make the decision between Campagnolo (Geoffrey Butler) and Shimano (Planet X direct) and then other decisions about the chain ring sizes etc. Any suggestions would be great:

184 cm tall (just a bit over 6ft in old money)
    86 cm Inside Leg ~34 inches
    67kg or just over 10 1/2 stone.

I was thinking about going for the large frame with 175 cranks (not sure whether or not to go for the compact or the straight double), 44cm bars and 100mm or 110mm stem, 12-27 casette.

Anything stick out as silly?

It will be a mixture of Ultegra shifters/derailuers/ 105 casette and FSA chainset on this bike http://www.planet-x-warehouse.co.uk/aca ... Promo.html

To be honest I am not totally sure of what length stem to go for or how to work it out but from suggestions I have read elsewhere it seems that is a sensible figure to go for.

blorg may I ask what size you went for and what size you are? Just trying to get an idea of the sizes.
  • blorg
    I am 6ft, 33.75" inside leg and went for the large with 110mm stem, 175mm cranks ,compact 50/34 and 12-27 cassette. I think large would be right for you all right, I have a friend around your height and he is also on a large. Bars I went for 42 just as that is what I am used to and have on all my other bikes. Ideally measure the distance between your shoulders, 44 could make more sense for you.

I think compact makes sense for most riders unless you are racing. Even then it is certainly possible to race on a compact.

Personally if going Shimano I would spend the extra on the £999 bike with full Ultegra, it is worth the extra to get the Ultegra cranks and brakes IMHO. Chain and cassette doesn't matter so much but worth it for the upgrade.
  • Cheers for the help, the problem with going full Ultegra is the price. My absolute upper maximum is a grand and although I am quite good with a spanner I wouldn't want to build my first bike and I can't see the 999 option anyway.

I might even place the order today, although I would like to drive to GB store to see if they have any in stock built up just to have a final butchers and make my mind up either way so will probably be in the next couple of days.
  • I agree with blorg, go for the PX build. If £1000 is your max does this include money for pedals, shoes, helmet, clothing etc? Getting fully kitted out can be an expensive business, try putting cycling gear on the Xmas present list.

You could do some shopping on Chainreaction, they're having a sale this weekend, so a few hours left. I'd recommend somethings such as pedals:- http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=28263
    shoes such as:-http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=9501
    Helmet:-http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=33938

I think that's about £100 spent! Just to get you on the bike. Then there are the other essentials, shorts/longs, overshoes, gloves, glasses, waterproof jacket, base layer, track pump, mini pump, bottle and cage, multi tool, puncture outfit, spare tube. Soon the cycling gear will take over the wardrobe.
  • The budget is basically for the bike, obviously any spare cash will go for accessories but I have budgeted up to a grand for the bike.

I already have pedals, shoes, helmet, shorts, base layer and a few other bits but I know it will cost quite a bit more to get fully kitted up. However that money will be spent here and there as needs be.

But cheers for the tip about the sale may hit it up now and get a few bits and pieces.
  • Aha! In that case I'd upgrade the brakes (I'm not a fan of Dia Compe), pick a good saddle, and put on a bottle cage. Good luck, it's a super bike.