LIstening to music whilst riding

wicked2627
wicked2627 Posts: 122
edited December 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi,

Just wondering if others listen to music whilst riding? (i.e. on headphones)

Are you allowed to listen on the road? Or are there safety concerns around it?

Thanks
Specialized Roubaix Pro Expert 2020
Boardman HT Pro Ltd Ed MTB
Boardman Pro Carbon Road Bike (Turbo Trainer)
Charge Mixer

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Too damn dangerous.

On the road you need all your wits about you and off road too distracting for the speed I ride at.

Also why drown out the sounds of the countryside.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    i tried it once on my commute to work, far too disstracting for me.

i love my music, but there's a time and a place for it, and it's not when i'm riding
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • i do it sometimes... it is dangerous though. cant hear cars and such.
    i sometimes just have one earphone in to, and have the music fairly quiet. that way you can hear the road and the music :)
    2009 Genesis core 00
  • missmarple
    missmarple Posts: 1,980
    I'll have headphones in so my Android can relay Satnav instructions to me whilst it's enclosed safely in my Camelbak. Other than that I can't hear sod all whilst speeding along due to wind noise so there isn't much point for me.

Plus it's dangerous I guess on the trails, you may not hear other riders too so can be a pain in the ass for all concerned.
  • rubins4
    rubins4 Posts: 563
    It is quite nice to have some tunes on the go, but for commuting and trails prob not a good idea as mentioned. Stuff like street riding it might be better suited. I heard an interview with Danny Mac and he said he's normally riding with some tunes on the go.

but thers nothing like a good fast downhill stretch with the james bond theme at full blast to get the imagination running! :P :twisted:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12613038
    Anyway, fk dis, I iz off 4 a ride innit. l8rz peepz
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Just do what all the cool kids do these days with their mobile phones and pump it outa the speaker in your rucksack woop woop, booyaa.
  • tjwood
    tjwood Posts: 328
    I didn't used to but now I listen to music during most of my commutes. If you set the volume right you can still hear both the music and the traffic. (I have freaky ears so in-ear phones won't stay in, I have some hook-on ones, which don't block out surrounding noise at all well).

Weirdly I find it helps me focus. If I listen to music then I find my conscious mind is all focussed on the task of cycling safely. If I don't listen to music then my mind tends to wander - which I reckon is more dangerous.
  • a.palmer
    a.palmer Posts: 504
    I listen to music pretty much every ride, just in one ear mind you but definately not quietly. If something's worth listening to, it's worth listening to loud!
  • Both ears, can still hear whats coming... ish... Dance music for the climbs :oops:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I might be unpopular for this, but I'm really unconvinced as to the usefulness of being able to hear what's behind you- all you know is that there's a car there, you have no idea what it's doing. I can't think of any time when I've reacted in some way to hearing a car approach off the top of my head. It can make you aware that someone's hovering just behind you waiting to pass but, what difference does that actually make? You keep riding the same way as you would if you had no idea.

Just my own opinion/experience of course, ymmv.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    agree with North, the only time knowing a car is coming up behind you is useful is on a single lane road. but you cannot for example hear that he is going to give you a wide or narrow berth. On the trails you wont get much sound warning of oncoming traffic unless they are making a racket. If a faster rider comes up behind me and can't get through then he waits until he can, just as I do. However it is important to:
      do a shoulder check when you change position in the road or track, even when off road make sure you can stop in the distance you can see is clear Look for the clues in the trails that others are up ahead (e.g. movement etc.). Let on-coming riders know that there are walkers/cyclists etc up ahead.
    In the woods you can typically see further than you can hear, as the trees and terrain will dull or even bounce the sound.

I listen to music when I ride on my own, but not when in a group. I also wear ear plugs when I ride a motorbike
  • Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    I often ride on the road with my ear canal headphones in, you can't hear anything with those on plus I'll have the music full blast.
    Don't find it a problem really as I'll still concentrate on the road ahead. I can ride in a straight line looking backwards so I often check out what's behind me.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Wicked2627 wrote:
    Just wondering if others listen to music whilst riding?
    Just the crackle of my tyres on the trail.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    I used to but found I much preferred the nice quite of the forest. I like to experience the solice of solitude when out pounding the pedals.
    Plus, if you come across other riders it's good to have a quick natter and I think it rude to have a conversation with your headphones in. Wonder if that's just me though?
  • rmj555
    rmj555 Posts: 91
    Its not dangerous. There is no law stopping deaf people cycling etc. I dont leave home without my ipod

you either have common sense or you dont. :wink:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Though having said that, on the trails I don't listen to music, unless it's a really soul destroying climb and I need a boost... I guess I ride on the road just for exercise whereas I ride offroad just to ride offroad. Also, I do think that's one time that being able to hear really can be useful, not so much for you but you can hear faster riders approaching from behind and make room if you choose.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Squarepants
    Squarepants Posts: 1,019
    This week I 'ave mostly been listening to Deadmau5, Random Album Title & For Lack of a better Name. Both excellent albums. Like the chap said above, you either have common sense or you dont. I never have it loud enough to drown out ambient noise like cars, other riders etc when on public roads/busier areas (I ride solitary in the forset mostly anyway) and I find the beat; especially of Random Album Tittle spurs me on and gives me a rhythm to pedal to. I find the For Lack of a better Name album has less BPMs and is suited to more relaxed riding. Not that I do much of that.

I would totally disagree if someone was listening to music at the expense of jepardising their/others sefety but if done responsibly, why not...

Each to their own. And hopefully were all sensible enough to respect our surrounding and take appropriate care.
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
    It's not that I'm over over biked, my bike is under personed...
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    rmj555 wrote:
    Its not dangerous. There is no law stopping deaf people cycling etc. I dont leave home without my ipod

you either have common sense or you dont. :wink:

I'm firmly in this camp..^
  • I only ride off-road and hadn't realised how much I enjoy the old i-pod until it ran out of power half way into my ride last weekend. Having said that, I always pull the left ear plug out when I'm coming up on other riders so I can have a bit off banter on the way past, or at least let them know I'm there.
  • colintrav
    colintrav Posts: 1,074
    Interesting opinions on this subject ...
  • This week I 'ave mostly been listening to Deadmau5, Random Album Title & For Lack of a better Name. Both excellent albums.

If you like that you can download(legally) some pretty good prog house mixes from here http://www.darkaudio.co.uk/

If I'm riding in the wilderness I like to have some music on, If i'm riding trail centers I dont. On the road on the boring commute I'll just have one headphone in.
  • A.Palmer wrote:
    I listen to music pretty much every ride, just in one ear mind you but definately not quietly. If something's worth listening to, it's worth listening to loud!

how can you listen to music loud in one ear? it just gives me headache... if somethings worth listening to loud, its worth listening to in both ears ;)
    2009 Genesis core 00
  • Specialized Roubaix Pro Expert 2020
    Boardman HT Pro Ltd Ed MTB
    Boardman Pro Carbon Road Bike (Turbo Trainer)
    Charge Mixer
  • ipod speakers with batteries?
  • I pretty much always have something to listen to when I'm riding if I'm on my own.

On my ride to the trails I'll have a bit of Hip Hop; DJ Format or something similar. On the trails my playlist includes some flowey Drum 'n' Bass, a bit of Ska Punk, the Prodigy are always good, Rancid and the Transplants are great as well - nice and fast - helps keep me going!

It's almost like being in a Sprung video :D
    There are only 86400 seconds per day...

Tick Tock
  • Bikos
    Bikos Posts: 1
    I ride to work evryday and i find if i cycle with earphones then i can hear traffic as well. And as someone mentioned earlier, its easier for me to concerntrate if i cycle with music.
    I have tried doing it with headphones on, and they dont work at all as you cant hear sod all. So not recommended.

As with MTB riding, if u can actually get your earphones to stay on when riding down a hill with loads of rocks and jumps il be impressed. :D
  • I ride to work evryday and i find if i cycle with earphones then i can hear traffic as well
    +1

As with MTB riding, if u can actually get your earphones to stay on when riding down a hill with loads of rocks and jumps il be impressed
    can you still get those 'sports' ones which have a wee clip thing round the back of your ear?
  • a.palmer
    a.palmer Posts: 504
    In ear headphones seem to stay in alright if you have the right size rubbery piece [I believe that is the technical term] fitted. I have to give it a nudge back in every so often but it's not too bad
  • I don't like listening to music on the trails as I normally cycle on the south Downs, I enjoy the views & getting away from all the noise of the traffic, but I always listen to music on my road bike as I find it relaxing, I agree with earlier posts, that even if you know the traffic is behind, you ride the same, if not better as you are more relaxed & not worrying what they are going to do next. It is up to them to avoid you, not for you to avoid them, as long as you look when you are going to turn & know what's behind you that are all that matters. I have these views as my brother in law was killed by a driver who hit him ,he was not listening to music but made no difference at all as he could not avoided it. So if my time comes I will be listening to something I enjoy & not to the sound of squealing brakes.