Help please...brad's green jersey

PBo
PBo Posts: 2,493
edited November 2009 in Pro race
I noticed that Brad auctioned off his green jersey at the dave rayner dinner the other week.

can anyone please explain to me how he ended up with it?

Looking at the TdF results, he was third in the prologue, and third in the green jersey points, but I'm guessing that as Chinny took the yellow, and Contador the polka dots, brad got green. Technically, was Fab leading all three, but do all the jerseys have to be worn by different people? (I thought Contador held yellow and white 2 years ago)? And did Contador choose spots, or is there a hierarchy?

just curious - cheers

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I think the KOM in Monaco would've been decided by who was fastest up the climb which was Contador.

So Chinny wore yellow, Bertie was the KOM holder although 2nd in points so it fell to Bradleeeeeeeeee to wear green.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    iainf72 wrote:
    I think the KOM in Monaco would've been decided by who was fastest up the climb which was Contador.

So Chinny wore yellow, Bertie was the KOM holder although 2nd in points so it fell to Bradleeeeeeeeee to wear green.

ah yes - I'd stupidly assumed chin - alberto - brad 1,2,3 in all three, but yes AC was leading KOM.....

....out of interest then, (and I know this is probably highly unlikely) but is there a rule that says the yellow jersey/KOM can not hold green too? So Brad was technically the leader at that time? Or does someone have to wear the jersey, so brad got it, but wasn't really the leader? If you understand the distinction I'm trying to make......
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Someone has to wear the jersey.

Chinny was the green jersey holder.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    The jerseys have a ranking so yellow, then green, then polka dot. If you happen to be leading all three competitions then you wear the yellow. The rider in second place in the other competition will wear the jersey.

In this particular case, Contador was leading the KoM so he wore that rather than the green jersey, so Wiggins, who was third on points, wore the green.
  • Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    They should bring back the "combined" jersey! That was a 'proper' jersey...but the red jersey would have to come back as well to make it the quartered retro classic!
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    Noodley wrote:
    They should bring back the "combined" jersey! That was a 'proper' jersey...but the red jersey would have to come back as well to make it the quartered retro classic!

Good Lord, No! That was the most hideous jersey ever.

Lemon852c.jpg
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I bought that combine jersey !! It was the 80s - it was cool.... ;-)
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Noodley wrote:

They still have a combined jersey in the Vuelta, but it's pretty much pointless because the GC winner always ends up winning it.

I don't think I've ever seen a stage of the Vuelta where the combined jersey is actually being worn by the leader of the classification.
  • cougie wrote:
    I bought that combine jersey !! It was the 80s - it was cool.... ;-)
    ahem me too :lol: :oops:
    If suffer we must, let's suffer on the heights. (Victor Hugo).