Spesh Allez any good

sellisnba
sellisnba Posts: 181
edited November 2009 in Road beginners
Just looking for peoples opinion. Thinking of getting one of these

http://www.specialized.com/gb/en/bc/SBC ... temId=8096

Are they any good? It will be used for winter/summer training just to get fit,Then hopefully in june next year i'll be riding to paris from london for charity.
Any opinions will be useful
Cheers

Comments

• It`ll do the job no probs. If you`re buying new then be aware that most / all the new model bikes have had components downgraded to keep the prices OK, last years and the 2008 and 2007 models had better quality components on them, but because of the exchange rates with Japan etc things have been cheapened to keep the bikes price competitive.

Maybe worth looking for a clean 2008 or 2009 model, plenty around that have done little mileage (bought on a whim), save a bit on the price as well, and spend a bit on a wheel upgrade, which is nearly always the weak point on ready-bulit bikes af similar price. Nice pair of Mavic Aksiums or second-hand Ksyriums (for the right price) would improve it, and maybe leave you with a spare set of wheels for Winter or using on a turbo trainer?
    Jens says "Shut up legs !! "

Specialized S-Works SaxoBank SL4 Tarmac Di2
  • I've got the 09 Allez 18 (which looks to be the equivalent of the 2010 sport) and after 3000+ miles it hasn't put a wheel wrong (One slight issue with a shifter but was soon sorted). It's my first road bike so can't make any comparisons but it's pretty comfortable and seems to handle pretty nicely. The tyres you get on it are cr*p though so might be worth an upgrade but you might as well wear them out first (got about 1000 miles out of mine). I would say it makes a pretty perfect introductory bike :)
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    edited November 2009
    :arrow: :arrow:
  • Thanks for all the replys i have heard only good things about them so far.

Have spotted a 2nd hand 07 allez sport double for a good price.

Thing is i have been riding mtbs for a while now and i have no idea about sizing I'm 5,10
    with a 31 inside leg, the bike i'm looking at is a 56.5cm.
    Would this be suitable?
    Cheers.
  • That`ll be spot-on, I`m same height and inside leg as you, and both mine are the 56.5 cm frames.

`07 Allez double (they didn`t do a "Sport" in `07), so check what colour and parts are on it to find the year, all selectable on the Spesh website below

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBC ... nuItemId=0

• MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    sellisnba wrote:
    Thanks for all the replys i have heard only good things about them so far.

Have spotted a 2nd hand 07 allez sport double for a good price.

Thing is i have been riding mtbs for a while now and i have no idea about sizing I'm 5,10
    with a 31 inside leg, the bike i'm looking at is a 56.5cm.
    Would this be suitable?
    Cheers.

Same size as you and went for a 54 cm when they checked me in the shop. Really impressed with the Allez by the way
  • MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    Looks great
    I'm sure you will enjoy it
  • Gota good buy there mate :) Enjoy

• I have the allez 2010 sport double and LOVE every bit of it.

approaching 300 miles and only issue is a bit of noise from the bottom bracket which will be fixed in its service on Tuesday.

Upgrading from a MTB to the spesh was a revelation in speed and handling.
    exercise.png
  • I have a 2007 with 105 components & Aksium wheelset. The only problem I have had is the rear tyre carcass splitting after around 1500km:- Specialized Mondo tyre.

The rest of the bike is fine although I have changed the saddle, but finding the perfect saddle is like the search for the Holy Grail.
  • Cheers for the comments, i'm looking forward to riding it, i went for an older model after being told they are better specced for the money. To buy a 2010 bike wuth the same components would set me back around £800 So £300 + £25 posted seem's a good deal to me. Even if i don't get on with it i'm sure i could sell it on.
  • smeev
    smeev Posts: 105
    Hi,

I have just recently purchased a allez 2010 double from my LBS about 2 weeks ago.
    It is brilliant & i look forward to every day that i get on it. It worth doing a lot of reasearch before you make your purchase. I was torn between & spesh allez or a gaint defy 4, but in the end i think i have had the right choice. I wud recomend gettting a decent cpu for your bike also for speed checking, total distance etc....
    Special eyes 4 ever....
  • I had a 2008 Allez Double which I enjoyed very much but I have to say, having moved over to an only marginally better (spec / price) Trek 1.5, I'm enjoying that a hell of a lot more. Just seems more solid, more steady on the roads, and better suited to me.. I've done more miles on the Trek in 4 months than I did in over a year on the Specialized!
    Planet X Nanolight High Modulus (Roadie) | 2008 Giant Bowery (Fixie)
  • Tested and not found wanting: just back from the Lake Taupo Challenge, longest ride yet at a shade under 160km & my Spesh was solid all the way.
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    I'm keen on my spesh allez '05.

I'm poor so it's the only ride I can afford, and I've ridden it sodding everywhere.

Getting on for 16,000km done on it.

Having said that, I have gradually replaced the wheels, the pedals, the stem, tyres etc.

Kept me honest in the pyrenees too. It's a good buy - something you'll keep for a while, even if it ends up as your bad weather bike.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.