Thank god for Altura!

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited November 2009 in MTB general
Took the opportunity to visit tredz in Cardiff seeing as though I'm just down the road. Was on the lookout to replace the epic fail of the endura overtrousers.

I picked up some Altura Nevis overtrousers. They're normal sized and have a good Velcro thing at the bottom to spop any excess fabric getting in your chainring. I can also very comfortably get a pair of trousers or whatever underneath with plenty of movement available.

The best bit? They were only £30!

Can't describe how much better fitting and VFM they are than the Enduras!
I am now a very very happy chappy!

Comments

• stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Wot you doing down there!!!! Where abouts are you staying, my inlaws are just up the road from Tredz in Grangetown, good excuse to get out the house, I'm just nipping down the bike shop, about an hours walk there and back plus browsing time.

I've justed deserted Endura too, got an Altura Attack jacket on order, sick of being soaked from the outside and inside at the same time.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • I've also just abandoned Endura, I had some of their waterproof Stealth tights from Wiggle last year. They were fine for a while but last week they decided to leak like the clappers. Wiggle refunded my money though, even after 11 months and 23 days of owning them.
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    Ive just bought myself a new Endura helium waterproof today. Needed something lightweight. Lets see how it gets on down Coed Y Brenin tomorrow :)
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    Just remember to not use fabric softener when you wash it...... it will kill the waterproofing!!!
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Why didn't you just re-waterproof them?
  • Altura gets the thumbs up from me too. Always good performance and value, the designs just keep getting better too. 8)
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    pastryboy wrote:
    Why didn't you just re-waterproof them?

Indeed.
  • If your question is directed at me PastryBoy, I used Nikwax, Techwash every time I washed them - which improves the water repelancy of the fabric, they had a waterproof membrane which I'm not sure benifits from rewaterprofing agents.

They were the Extreme ones which were too warm to wear in any contitions over 5degC, so I only ever wore them about 20 times over the last year, they just didn't work anymore.

It was a real shame, when they worked they were great, Fair play to Wiggle though, I posted them on Monday at 5pm and I had a refund by 2pm the next day! And they refunded my postage! Great service.
  • stumpyjon wrote:
    Wot you doing down there!!!! Where abouts are you staying, my inlaws are just up the road from Tredz in Grangetown, good excuse to get out the house, I'm just nipping down the bike shop, about an hours walk there and back plus browsing time.

I've justed deserted Endura too, got an Altura Attack jacket on order, sick of being soaked from the outside and inside at the same time.
    The GF is from Dinas just down the road :) got tickets for a gig in Cardiff SU tomorrow night!
    making my rounds ATM, don skene's and sunset mtb tomorrow :)
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Just sold nearly all my Endura too, except MT500 Jersey/Bib set, and Montana jacket.

Got fed up of the "boil in the bag" feeling.

Yet to try Altura. Emailed 'em 'bout a month ago with clothing enquiries, but no reply. Probably take my business elsewhere now.
  • reluctant
    reluctant Posts: 600
    edited November 2009
    Don't let that put you off Stlottboy. They're a busy distributor and everyone knows bike company types are terrible at replying to e-mails. Any queries of a technical nature should be directed at your local stockist. If they don't know the answer, they can phone Zyro.
  • Good timing this thread, as I'm thinking of getting some waterporof trousers. I usually wear tights underneath my shorts, but I'm fed-up of gettting soaked over the last few years.

So, I'm in the market for either some good trousers, or waterproof tights to wear under my shorts for those lovely monsoon moments!.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • Good timing this thread, as I'm thinking of getting some waterporof trousers. I usually wear tights underneath my shorts, but I'm fed-up of gettting soaked over the last few years.

So, I'm in the market for either some good trousers, or waterproof tights to wear under my shorts for those lovely monsoon moments!.
    if you have emo thin legs and don't expect to wear anythin under some overtrousers then have a look at endura....
    If you're normal sized, want something that looks pretty good and has plenty of room for clothing underneath, check out altura!
  • if you have emo thin legs and don't expect to wear anythin under some overtrousers then have a look at endura....
    If you're normal sized, want something that looks pretty good and has plenty of room for clothing underneath, check out altura!

Thanks, Ben!

I'm only a shortarse, but I haven't got emo legs :lol: , they're not too fat either...but they are short! :oops:

I reckon a 29" inside leg would do me fine. That's one thing that worries me about trousers...that they'll be too long for me. I suppose I could get some waterproof 3/4's...they'll probably fit fine! :D
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    With my legs being 26" circumference, I'm keeping clear of Endura then!
  • if you have emo thin legs and don't expect to wear anythin under some overtrousers then have a look at endura....

Thanks, Ben!

I'm only a shortarse, but I haven't got emo legs :lol: , they're not too fat either...but they are short! :oops:

I reckon a 29" inside leg would do me fine. That's one thing that worries me about trousers...that they'll be too long for me. I suppose I could get some waterproof 3/4's...they'll probably fit fine! :D

If you're going for Endura I'd try and find somewhere you can try them on properly, I needed an XL Stealth tight and a medium eVent 3/4, their sizing is all over the place!