I've sinned - chain has rust

davmaggs
davmaggs Posts: 1,008
edited December 2009 in Commuting chat
After a good soaking in the rain a couple of weeks ago I gave the bike a wipe down and left the chain. I was definitely coming back to it, was just going to leave it dry off for a while, etc etc.

Looked at it yesterday morning and it had some rust patches. I've given myself a minor talking to, but I suspect that the baying mob of the internet would do a better job of berating me for this most serious of crimes.

Comments

• bradford
    bradford Posts: 195
    Shame on you! 20 licks of the chain whip for you laddy! :shock:
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Done it myself.... but if you cleaned the bike, why not take a few seconds to spray chain with GT85 and put on some wet lube.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Mine had lots when I checked at the weekend (I've neglected it for ages, especially the last few wet weeks), but after flooding it with WD40 and attacking it with a toothbrush, it's good as new.
  • iain_j
    edited November 2009
    Double post......
  • iain_j
    Next question, how do I get the grease, oil and flecks of chain rust out from between my teeth :lol:
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    You're supposed to check the chain? :oops:

Add to Xmas list: bike maintenance course via books/internet/youtube and local LBS
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    davmaggs wrote:
    Looked at it yesterday morning and it had some rust patches.

Leave the country ASAP.

Certainly don't be seen in Richmond Park, the pointing and laughing would be hard to bare.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    I left my racing bike in the garage for a couple of months with a chain that needed a clean
    It had a nasty rust spot
    The following june the chain snapped on the rusty line climbing a hill out of Dulverton
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    iain_j wrote:
    Next question, how do I get the grease, oil and flecks of chain rust out from between my teeth :lol:

floss
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    iain_j wrote:

Fairly liquid!!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    iain_j wrote:
    Mine had lots when I checked at the weekend (I've neglected it for ages, especially the last few wet weeks), but after flooding it with WD40 and attacking it with a toothbrush, it's good as new.

WD40 is not a good idea on bike chains. Its too thin for a chain lubricant.
  • Onan
    Onan Posts: 321
    amnezia wrote:
    iain_j wrote:

WD40 is not a good idea on bike chains. Its too thin for a chain lubricant.

WD40 is great for flooding your chain to force out moisture BEFORE you lubricate it. I give my chain a good squirt with WD40 after I clean it, and try to do the same after it gets wet.
    Drink poison. Wrestle snakes.
  • iain_j
    What Onan said. I use WD40 to clean the chain then use bike lube afterwards.
  • bradford
    Remember water dispersant 40,does what it says on the Tin!!
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    iain_j wrote:

You need a proper degreaser NOT WD40, then a wash, rinse and dry the chain. Do a search there have been enough posts gving good advice about cleaning, degreasing and lubing chains.

WD40 acts as a cutting agent as it is too thin to act as a chain lube. It will prematuerly wear the transmission. Yes, it's great for expelling moisture but not for lubricating something like a chain. Plus it will break down any quality lube you put on top of it. If you read the instructions of any quality lube such as Finish Line Pro Ceramic, it will say clean and degrease the chain thoroughly making sure the chain is CLEAN and DRY before you apply the lube. Otherwise you are just wasting your time and money. Why bother putting quality lube on top of WD40 :roll: :lol: .
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • iain_j
    I used to use citrus degreaser but it ran out so I reached for the next available thing, which happened to be WD40.

Yes, I'm lazy :D I'd rather ride my bike than spend time cleaning/maintaining it, hence the rust...
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    No need to use WD-40 to disperse water. A good lube like Pro Link Gold will do this. I use a touch of lube on a rag to clean my chain, keep going till no more black residue is coming away, then wipe lube, repeat. Leave overnight then wipe pre ride and you're good to go. Trick is to maintain the chain regularly, far more effective than spending ages cleaning it every 3/4 months or so.
  • Onan
    dilemna wrote:
    iain_j wrote:

You need a proper degreaser NOT WD40, then a wash, rinse and dry the chain. Do a search there have been enough posts gving good advice about cleaning, degreasing and lubing chains.

WD40 acts as a cutting agent as it is too thin to act as a chain lube. It will prematuerly wear the transmission. Yes, it's great for expelling moisture but not for lubricating something like a chain. Plus it will break down any quality lube you put on top of it. If you read the instructions of any quality lube such as Finish Line Pro Ceramic, it will say clean and degrease the chain thoroughly making sure the chain is CLEAN and DRY before you apply the lube. Otherwise you are just wasting your time and money. Why bother putting quality lube on top of WD40 :roll: :lol: .

I didn't say I cleaned my chain with WD40. And I certainly don't consider it a chain lubricant.

I clean my chain on the bike, so after I've cleaned it with degreaser, rinsed it, and given it a wipe, I blast it with WD40 to disperse water, then wait a while before re-lubing.

I've been told the solvent (which would break down the lube) evaporates, so I shouldn't be putting lube straight on top of it.
  • Can you use parfin on bike chains? I do on my motorbike chain, which works fine I got a vat of Parrsen from B&Q which is just about empty after 18 months. WD-40 on chains no bad idea, also parfin evaropates as well. Just give it a good rinse, dry it (take it for ride) then reapply lube easy as.

I have got about 15k on the motorbike chain, so if its looked after they last forever. If you abuse it, expect it break more often and cost u more money.
  • waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    I use a Park Tools chain cleaner filled with Muc-Off to clean my chain.

Then wipe down with a rag to dry it off, possibly using the Mrs's hairdryer if I'm feeling lazy.

Lube, and go.

Now that's chain-related sin.
    Rules are for fools.
  • Onan
    Waddlie wrote:

Then wipe down with a rag to dry it off, possibly using the Mrs's hairdryer if I'm feeling lazy.

Lube, and go.

I don't get it. What's wrong with that? that sounds like perfectly good maintenance to me.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Waddlie wrote:

Lube, and go.

LoL!!!!!!! You certainly like to live dangerously ...................... :lol: .
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    I don't think it really matters how you maintain your chain, provided you do it regularly. Regular is by far teh most important factor. It doesn't even matter if you use WD40, although you'll have to do it much more often as it's such a thin lubricant.

I've used WD40 for some thousands of miles in the past, and I only use Prolink Gold now because it lasts a bit longer and is slightly more resistant to getting washed off.
  • I have found that the lube I put on my Fixed gear seems to come off after one ride. :? Now I know my fixed is used for the winter but I am shocked how quickly the lube seems to be washed off. I had to squeek my way home tonight. Annoying and embarassing. I use Fenwicks wet lube.

Is this standard for others? A re lube needed every 2 days?
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    BenBlyth wrote:
    I have found that the lube I put on my Fixed gear seems to come off after one ride. :? Now I know my fixed is used for the winter but I am shocked how quickly the lube seems to be washed off. I had to squeek my way home tonight. Annoying and embarassing. I use Fenwicks wet lube.

Is this standard for others? A re lube needed every 2 days?

That does seem a bit quick! Finishline cross country is pretty good, but even it'll get washed off if you spend enough time riding in the rain, IMO.
  • waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    Onan wrote:
    Waddlie wrote:

Lube, and go.

I don't get it. What's wrong with that? that sounds like perfectly good maintenance to me.

I used to think it was ok too, until I came on this forum and learnt that chain cleaners are BAD and Muc-Off is BAD (and RLJing is BAD and other people in ASLs are BAD and not riding in primary is BAD and hi-viz is BAD and bright lights are BAD and dim lights are BAD and not having pedal reflectors is BAD and not going commando is BAD and taking photos of your bike with the chain on a chainring other than the big one is BAD and peds are BAD and....)
    Rules are for fools.
  • bradford
    Waddlie wrote:
    Onan wrote:
    Waddlie wrote:

Lube, and go.

I used to think it was ok too, until I came on this forum and learnt that chain cleaners are BAD and Muc-Off is BAD (and RLJing is BAD and other people in ASLs are BAD and not riding in primary is BAD and hi-viz is BAD and bright lights are BAD and dim lights are BAD and not having pedal reflectors is BAD and not going commando is BAD and taking photos of your bike with the chain on a chainring other than the big one is BAD and peds are BAD and....)

Yeah think were in danger of over analysing everything!
  • iain_j
    Waddlie wrote:
    Onan wrote:
    Waddlie wrote:

Lube, and go.

Just ride your bike. No-one really cares :D
  • Get some looseoil from a hardware shop The caramel coloured WD40 Penetrating Oil will make it happy then lube as normal Using a paint brush to brush oil on all four sides is what I do
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Waddlie wrote:
    Onan wrote:
    Waddlie wrote:

Lube, and go.

hah ha :D Great post!