TDF 2010 - Morzine

SDF64
SDF64 Posts: 34
edited November 2009 in Tour & expedition
Hi all

I am planning a trip for me and a few mates to watch the TDF next July and I'm after some useful info on camping around the Morzine area. The plan is to ride up towards Avoriaz on the day of stage 8 so we don't want to be based too far away.

We will be on quite a tight budget (credit crunch and all that) so will be looking for cheap campsites or better still, somewhere to pitch the tent by the side of the road if there are public toilets and shower facilities available close by.

Has anyone been out in the Morzine area for the TDF before? Any suggestions are welcome.

Cheers

Comments

• www.campinglesmarmottes.com/en/index.html

Recommended in this month's Cycle Sport magazine.

I'm staying in a B&B in Morzine for the 3 days that The Tour is there. I'll be doing the same as you (riding up to Avoriaz on the day of the stage.) I'll also be going out on a long ride on the rest day - let me know if you fancy joining up for a ride up the nearby cols.
  • I'll be stopping here:

http://www.campinglescale.com/accueil_e.html

Stayed there last year, nice site, very close to town for groceries, easy access to see a couple of stages.
  • SDF64
    Guys

What are the chances, two Matthews responding within minutes of each other.

MatthewBulmer

Thanks for the link, i've e-mailed them to check on availability. Unfortunately we'll be heading south as soon as the Avoriaz stage is over on the Sunday to catch the tour again on the Col de la Madeleine but we are planning a ride around the Morzine area on the day before the tour comes to town (Sat 10th July) if you are around then. If not we could meet you on the day of the race to head up the mountain.

MatthewBradford

Thanks for the info although it's probably a bit too far out from where we want to be based for the first part of our trip next year. We were based not far from there this year, half way up the Col de la Colombiere at a place called Le Chinaillon. We managed to find a nice spec near the ski lifts with access to public loos so no camping fees which was handy. Thankfully only for a couple of days though as no shower facilities.
  • Sounds like you've got a good trip on the cards. I'll get in touch nearer the time to see if we can all meet up. Hope you manage to get the campsite sorted.
  • SDF64
    Thanks Matthew
  • I'll be heading up the Madeleine after the rest day. It'd be good meet up for a spin. Gonna do alpe d'huez before coming back
  • SDF64
    Matthew

Sounds like your plans are similar to ours, would be good to meet up.

Me and my son did Alpe d'Huez last year on the way down to Mont Ventoux. It was not too bad, although we didn't break any records getting up there. The heat was the main problem, it was a roasting hot day. Coming back down was a blast.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    I'm staying in a chalet in Verchaix which is very nearby and plan to ride up the Col de Joux Plane to get to Avoriaz, might see you guys up there :)
  • I've been watching some old footage of the 2003 TDF stage to Morzine won by Richard Virenque. Not sure whether to watch the stage (can't remember the number) on the Col de Ramaz or go to Avoriaz. The Ramaz looks like its a good climb with plenty of spectators. Could be the place where the attacks occuras its not too far from the finish.

I'll definately go to the Madeleine for the stage after the rest day. Brilliant climb.

I've got a motorhome so can go anywhere really, but prefer to stay on a campsite and ride to watch the stages whenever possible.