When to fit a powerlink

piker
piker Posts: 353
edited November 2009 in MTB beginners
I like the idea of taking my chain off to clean and re-lube but there isnt a split link on it.I got a powerlink to fit but is it just for an emergency link when out on the trail or can it be used all the time.Also if i do fit it do i remove the pin on my chain that looks different,that i assume was used to join it when fitted to the bike.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It is useful for cleaning the chain, as you suggest.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 2,086
    All sram chains include a powerlink within the chain. The powerlink itself is actually stronger than a regular link under tension. If you were made of money, you could even have a chain made entirely of powerlinks.

To fit it, you will need to remove half a chain link to expose two ends with holes in, ie remove one pair of outer plates. You only need to push the pin past the first plate to allow you to undo and remove it from the chain.
  • piker
    The chain on my carrera is supposed to be a sram chain but no split/powerlink,anyway if its that strong i will fit it.Thanks for your help.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Some OE SRAM chains are not supplied with them.
  • piker
    That explains it then,thanks.
  • I'm not familiar with Shimano chains, so don't know the technicalities of their joining. Campagnolo chains have a specific link at the first joint that should not be modified, so you have to make the chain and break it again to install the powerlink at a different point.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.