Waht would you have done

sicknote
sicknote Posts: 901
edited November 2009 in Commuting chat
I was out playing pool with my brother yesterday and walking back to the car ( he has not long had a hip replacement so I drove ) and was about to cross a side street, I look behind me before we cross and see a cyclist but as we go to cross, her turns in to the road.

I did not see her arm out at all and some as nice as I could, it would be a good idea to indicate, to which she gives us two fingers, saying that she did.

I did say that I am a cyclist too.

What would you have done, bearing I did look first and was not nasty with my comment.

Comments

• Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    What would I have done? Well, probably kept watching, as you know as a cyclist left turns from main streets are usually not indicated by cars. Cyclist may have had to brake, keep arms on bars to turn, any number of things. It could have been a car.... keep watching.

993_f.jpg
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    Cyclists can't always indicate, but it's likely she was wrong according to rule 206:

"turning at road junctions; give way to pedestrians who are already crossing the road into which you are turning"

(err, I had to google that)
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    BentMikey wrote:
    Cyclists can't always indicate, but it's likely she was wrong according to rule 206:

"turning at road junctions; give way to pedestrians who are already crossing the road into which you are turning"

(err, I had to google that)
    Possibly but the already crossing bit is key. Cars, bikes can't stop on a six-pence, which is why highway code rule 7 says stop and wait before crossing. Of course, rule 8 goes on to say if you've started crossing you have priority... certainly there can be a bit of conflict between the rules in some situations.

Most peds don't look when crossing roads so I have my spidey senses up to max when any are near a turning I'm about to take.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    Sounds very much like she is in the wrong. I take it you didn't alter your speed here?
    You were at the road, crossing, when she got to you. She's coming from behind you, so she should have seen that you were approaching the side road and anticipated that you would likely be there when she got there, and so changed her speed to avoid you. Your the pedestrian, after all.

Indicating is only really relevent here if she needs to let anyone behind her (car or bike) know she might be about to slow down.
  • sicknote
    I did stop before crossing but it was close as I had put a foot in the road, not thinking she was going to turn.

I did looked before crossing and always do, that was why I had to stop in the road for her to go a round.
    She could have said thank you :?
  • boneyjoe
    boneyjoe Posts: 369
    Just another example of unnecessary and aggressive behaviour I'm afraid.

She will get her cumuppance once day...
    Scott Scale 20 (for xc racing)
    Gary Fisher HKEK (for commuting)
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Sicknote wrote:

What would you have done, .

meh.

then carried on haveing a nice evening.
  • sicknote
    will3 wrote: