tesco led torch any good?

joshtp
joshtp Posts: 3,966
edited November 2009 in MTB general
just seen the torch in teso, cnc alu body, water proof, takes 2XAA, looks good, £7! is it any good, anotherwords, would 2 of them be enough for some light trails?
I like bikes and stuff

Comments

• cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    I got one of the 3w ones a while back....I think the new ones are 1w, so not quite as bright.

i have a 15w halogen cateye barmount and the tesco job cable tied to my helmet.

very narrow beam, but quite bright and improved the speed of my night riding no end.....definately brighter than the 15w halogen.....but not as much spread.

but now the bastid dx light has arrived..i may have to relegate the tesco torch to the backpack.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • I have 2 x 3w ones. good enough for riding with mates who have lights but not great when by myself. Got a magicshine on order now though
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    There's some details here in this thread:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12663412

As said before the 3W ones are pretty good.
  • The 3W ones were quite good, i had 2 AA one and 2 of the C ones, removed the bodies and made my own light set, worked very well and brighter that some of the expensives light sets owned by members of the local bike club. Not sure how the 1W ones are, i'd guess that they would be about 1/3 of the brightness, which i wouldnt think would be ideal. Think they will be ok for easy stuff, but wouldnt try anything technical with them

Unfortunately for me, i managed to short my lights and destroy the leds and cannot get out until my magicshines arrive. :(
    whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    TBH, I only use these for commuting purposes. I have a selection of Lumicyle lamps and batteries and one of the Cutter Electronics LED lamps for serious off-road duties.
  • I can say yes...these are great value for money, Used them last winter and think theyve dropped a quid or two since i bought mine.

Narrow beam but I am using two of them on my old hardtail riding to and from work batteries last for a week using some Nimh 2000ma/h from argos. had them drilled out by 0.5mm taper drill as getting the rechargable batteries in and out is bit tight.

Have a look on ebay for some two fish lock block torch holders velcro strappy things, Even in yesterdays downpur they sayed on the handlebars

And it pi$$es the motorcars off due to them being so bright...Great fun :lol:
    If you fall off try again !

Trek EX8
    Handsome Dog XC01 with added ebay specials
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    ricardo666 wrote:

And it pi$$es the motorcars off due to them being so bright...Great fun :lol:

Brilliant, blind the car driver and think its funny. :roll:
  • ricardo666 wrote:
    I can say yes...these are great value for money, Used them last winter and think theyve dropped a quid or two since i bought mine.

yes they have dropped in price, but that is due to them no longer using the cree 3W emitter. The new ones are only 1W and are not as bright as the old ones
    whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    They're good torches but not very good bike lights. I still have one (a 3W one modded with no collimator for a wider beam) on my commuter but when I used them offroad, I needed 3 to get anywhere near a light I was comfortable riding with, which meant taking 18 AA batteries with me for a lap of glentress red :lol: And still quite a slow, cautious lap. And all that stuff ended up costing almost as much as a proper light, ie a dealextreme P7 torch, which is what I replaced all 3 with- and it was lighter, brighter, wider beamed, longer ranged, and less hassle.

So, all in all, I'd say don't bother, it was a fad more than it was a good idea.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • does anyone have any working 3w tesco ones that they no longer use ? as my tesco has them but 1w only..

will be happy to talk cash for them...pm please

thanks