Just got a Stumpy FSR '08 but...

Lazza1979
Lazza1979 Posts: 15
edited November 2009 in MTB general
It is ever so slightly too large. Now, don't get me wrong. I am not complaining seeing as I got it for next to nothing so I am just here to ask for some advice.

The cockpit feels slightly too stretched as it is. I am going to shorten the stem length and am considering changing the layback seat post for a straight one as well. Are there any other tips on how to shrink the cockpit?

I am 5'10 and the bike is an L. The bike rides like a gem at the moment but it just feels a bit stretched at times and I want to fine tune it.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    slide the saddle as far forward as you can, short as posible stem, straight seat post....
    not much else i can think off really.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    Interesting post. I testrode one when selecting my bike. Am the same size as you but came from an Epic, which is quite a "spaced out" bike.

The medium was way to small, imo. My arse kept falling off the back of the saddle. The large is spot on. But I guess that is how I like the cockpit.

As above...slide the saddle forward on the bars and maybe look at a shorter stem...else I reckon you would get used to the bike in its current state after a couple of weeks riding.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 2,086
    I found that my 08 stumpy was quite lengthy. I dropped the 110mm stem in favour of a 65mm stem. A vast improvement which gives a much more confident bike as well as relieving my backache.
  • Thanks all.

The bike is a dream to ride don't get me wrong. I just feel too far away from the bars at times so have just ordered a shorter stem to see if that will fix my issue.

Reckon I will play around with it bit by bit until i am happy with it. Will most certainly be worth it.
  • No more advice over the above, other than perhaps fine tune the rotation of the bars as well. I am a smidge taller than you and also went for the large stumpy. I swapped out the stem for a 90mm which actually improved the handling significantly, aswell as shortening the cockpit a fraction.

The medium actually felt on the smallish side when I tried it - I guess if you are our size you are slap bang on the threshold of both sizes. So long as it is not uncomfortable you will probably get used to the feel.
    2015 Nukeproof Mega TR 275 in raw