Helmet Hair

Notsolittlemisssunshine
edited November 2009 in Commuting chat
Ok so now that I've ventured into the world of commuting I need some help. How on earth do I get my helmet hair to look reasonable when at work :shock:

Comments

• NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    Ok so now that I've ventured into the world of commuting I need some help. How on earth do I get my helmet hair to look reasonable when at work :shock:

If your a bloke then to quote many people around here 'MTFU' :lol:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Ok so now that I've ventured into the world of commuting I need some help. How on earth do I get my helmet hair to look reasonable when at work :shock:
    You are allowed to take your helmet off when you get there, you know.
  • my hair is MESSY as hell! i dont really bother with my hair but sometimes it gets styled pretty sweet from my helmet or the wind!
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • Ah that's where I was going wrong, will try taking it off tomorrow.

No I'm not a bloke, thought the name might give it away :D
  • NGale
    Ah that's where I was going wrong, will try taking it off tomorrow.

oops :lol:

Well in that case 'WTFU' :lol:

unless you have access to a shower and hair dryer I haven't found much you can do about it to be honest.
  • Guess I'll have to hope for the best then.
  • If by 'helmet hair' you mean that ridged effect you get from wearing vented cycling helmets. How about trying one of those skate style helmets like the Giro Flak? or wearing a skull cap under your helmet?
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    I have just resigned myself to looking like something the cat dragged in on the days I cycle.

I think the answer is to either have very long hair or very short hair - anything in between will just be buggered by the helmet and/or sweat.

I think this thread explains this thread http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12663196
  • Yeah, I go for the very long hair option. Oh, and I don't wear a helmet. That helps a lot.
  • NGale wrote:

unless you have access to a shower and hair dryer I haven't found much you can do about it to be honest.
    What is this "Hair Dryer" of which you speak? Is it some form of mechanical towel?
  • NGale
    NGale wrote:

What is this "Hair Dryer" of which you speak? Is it some form of mechanical towel?

It's something of which we ladies know of. You chaps don't need to concern yourself which such things :lol:
  • Yeah, I go for the very long hair option. Oh, and I don't wear a helmet. That helps a lot.
    But surely you just arrive looking like this -
    van-de-graaff-generator-girl-hair-stand-on-end.jpg

Could be worse.... I'd look more like Christopher Walken.
  • I wear a buff over my long hair...then tie it up when I get in to the office. the buff helps to absorb sweat. either that or I wash it when I shower and leave it to dry naturally or borrow my colleagues hair dryer (wouldn't have bought my own hairdryer to be honest)
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Ditch the lid its looks sh!t and wont save your bounce unless your travelling <12mph - FACT

or so "they" say :D
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • PedalPedant
    PedalPedant Posts: 185
    edited November 2009

Go bald in your early thirties and then have a number two* on your remaining hair, it works for me :)

PP

* the clipper setting, not the bodily function.
    People that make generalisations are all morons.

Target free since 2011.
  • But surely you just arrive looking like this -
    Broken Image: null

''Broken image: null'' perfectly sums up how I arrive, but there again, it's not far off how I looked in the first place...
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    Helps having rather short hair..! How long's yours?

A couple of miles is indeed not enough to warrant a shower... I used to ride about that far to an old job. Sometimes even with short hair I'd get a bit of a helmet effect - I just used to wet my hands and give it all a good rub before combing it through again.
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • some of us can get helmet hair with out a helmet....
  • Ha ha well don't you know it...sod's law that I have the worst length hair (mid length). Not going for grade 2 all over so will either have to stick it out or grow it long again. I do wear a buff under my helmet and have ended up wearing it as a hair band while at work.
  • d21dga
    d21dga Posts: 113

Go bald in your early thirties and then have a number two* on your remaining hair, it works for me :)

PP

* the clipper setting, not the bodily function.

:lol:
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Helmet? hair? Both alien concepts now.....
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Wear a cap at work.
  • Shower when I get to work and let my hair dry naturally. As its naturally curly its fine left this way, no ghds for me.

If I am running late then I do have dry shampoo in my bag so that I can do a 2 sec freshen up and then tie my hair up.

My commute is only 3.5 miles at the moment but its long enough for helmet hair and I'm not very good at riding slow so always get to work a sweaty mess.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Ha ha well don't you know it...sod's law that I have the worst length hair (mid length). Not going for grade 2 all over so will either have to stick it out or grow it long again. I do wear a buff under my helmet and have ended up wearing it as a hair band while at work.

...... and what's wrong with having a grade 2 :twisted: although mine is a 1

Shave it off luv. So much better for you. :D:D
  • I go all out and actually have straighteners on my desk, they even got PAT tested when the electrician came around :D

Ditto on the either have short or long hair point though, I too have a 'mid-length' barnet and it's just long enough for the 'ski slope' look to take effect by the time I get to work. Stylish, I think you'll agree. But thank crunchie for straighteners, they really do save the day. Think you can get little portable ones too for the times when you're in a pub/club and you look in the mirror expecting the see the styled hair you left the house with and realise that actually in the humidity you have turned into one of the Supremes... :shock:
    "I think the phrase rhymes with Clucking Bell"

FCN = 4
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    NGale wrote:
    NGale wrote:

It's something of which we ladies know of. You chaps don't need to concern yourself which such things :lol:

Speak for yourself. I'm a bloke and it takes much blow drying and hair wax to do my hair. Don't you know that the quiff is back? The taller the better....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Are you Irish and do you have a twin brother?
  • a nice wool cap under your helmet helps alot. Also, when I do the last 5 minutes of the journey down quiet backstreets I take my helmet off and the wind tends to sort it out :)