I'm a bit of a noob so bear with me...

Ransaka
Ransaka Posts: 474
edited November 2009 in MTB beginners
... please :D

So, I got myself a HT in July and climbed on having not ridden a bike since I was 17 (some 15 years prior). I have a Kona Firemountain (no jokes please, it's what I can afford :P ) and in addition to simple commuting to work and back I try and get out most weekends across the South Downs and hammer around Devils Dyke and such places, some uphill struggles that are rewarded with downhill fun.

What skills would folks suggest are needed for doing trail centres and hammering around downhill sections like Friston forest? I can vaguely bunny hop (enough to clear small obstacles) and have reasonable control over the bike but I basically don't want to go out and make an ass of myself or hack more experienced riders off with being a noob.
I feel confident the bike can take a fair hammering and I'm not afraid of a mild maiming, just don't want to look like a prat :D

Any suggestions?

Work has become something that happens between riding, does this mean I have been seriously bitten by the mtb bug? :twisted:

Comments

• jmj
    jmj Posts: 100
    Learning how to manual is always handy.

Helps you clear water hazards without getting soaked, allows you to clear dips that would grab your front wheel and throw you off.
    It looks quite stylish too if you get it right!

There's a guide here

J
    Commencal Meta 55 Team custom build
    Giant Trance 06
  • Hi Ransacka

Just try and get out and ride when and where you can. Practice will give you experience. I recently returned to mountain biking after years on the road and had probs with drop offs and step ups which seemed to throw me off regularily! Now I ride off every drop off I can find and can manage all the step ups on my route.

Every more experienced rider had to start from scratch so only the most self centered will get hacked off at you. On the whole most folk will be patient with you if necessary.

I haven't read it but apparently Brian Lopes book on techniques is very good.

Enjoy
    Giant Anthem X3 2013
  • Hey mate,

Ride wherever you want, wherever you feel comfortable, at your own pace, that way you will naturally get better at riding and know what your limitations are. As you progress start to push your boundaries a little and see how you get on. That's what i suggest anyway.

Note: whilst on trails/ downhill, try and give way to faster riders that may want to pass you, that way everyone is happy :wink:
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Ransaka wrote:
    Work has become something that happens between riding, does this mean I have been seriously bitten by the mtb bug?
    In 2006 I quit working Fridays so I could go riding instead. One of the best decisions I ever made :D
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Ransaka wrote:
    What skills would folks suggest are needed for doing trail centres and hammering around downhill sections like Friston forest?

No specific skills, if you can ride offroad anywhere, you can ride at a trail centre, it's no different. Best bit is to work up from something you're comfortable with, most halfway-competent riders could do most UK reds without too much issue but I'm glad I started with blues, just to get my hand in and build confidence as much as anything else. And never worry about looking daft, everyone looks daft, we're grownups riding child's toys up and down hills for no reason at all :wink:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Ransaka
    Thanks for the replies folks, very helpful.

I shall carry on as I was and try and seek out something harder while I'm doing it then and not fear looking like a noob. :D
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    Ransaka wrote:
    Thanks for the replies folks, very helpful.

I shall carry on as I was and try and seek out something harder while I'm doing it then and not fear looking like a noob. :D

If you're worried about falling off then get some knee and elbow pads... they can save a lot of pain and aggro.... I know from experience as I fractured my elbow 4 weeks ago and haven't been out since. A pair of £40 elbow pads would have done the job :cry:

You could also check out some local instructors. Cost is between £60 - £80 for a full day and they can really help improve your skills, and before you pick up any bad habits. :wink:
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk
  • rubins4
    rubins4 Posts: 563
    Hi Ransaka.

Glad your enjoying being on a bike! :P

I'm down in Brighton, well, Hove actually from time to time as the missus is living down that way, and I've got a mate who is really getting into a bit of riding. maybe we could try and meet up next time we are out and about in the area? We havent been out much recently. I'm back at uni and he hasnt had much of a chance, but hopefully round xmas time we could sort something out. We are all at the beginer stage so its mostly just floating round bunny hopping kerbs and generally arsing about in car parks, but we do get up on the downs from time to time. Give me a shout if its something you might be interested in, the more the merrier!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12613038
    Anyway, fk dis, I iz off 4 a ride innit. l8rz peepz
  • Ransaka
    I have some knee pads somewhere, wish I'd got shin pads after replacing my pedals with DMR V8s and then having a pedal-meet-shin-after-failed-bunny-hop-landing moment.

Rubins, for sure, would be happy for a meetup once my arm is better (damaged tendons apparently). Can still ride just can't do stuff like pulling up on the bars or anything so all the fun stuff is out for me at the moment.
  • rubins4
    rubins4 Posts: 563
    Sorry to here about the arm, hope your on the mend!

Next time I know I'll have my bike down in brighton i'll PM you. Might not be till after xmas, who knows! :o
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12613038
    Anyway, fk dis, I iz off 4 a ride innit. l8rz peepz