Health: arthritis - hip replacement. Scarey!

fairweatherbiker
fairweatherbiker Posts: 116
edited November 2009 in Commuting chat
This may be in the wrong forum, if there is a health forum someone let me know.

I've been getting pain in one hip for a while. Its worse walking; cycling is still kind-of OK if I don't push too much uphill.

I've seen the X-rays - and my consultant has given me the prognosis. Arthritis, and he'll put me down for a hip resurfacing just as soon as I give the word (up to 3-month wait, but possible to get in on a cancellation within a few weeks - I could be under the knife before Xmas!)

The doc reckons cycling should be OK after 12 weeks, possibly sooner.

Has anyone had this done and gone back to cycling. I'd be interested in your experiences.
Non-Sexist, Non-Racist, Non-Violent Egalitarian Chess: 32 grey pawns all on the same side

Comments

• always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Nope, but father and uncle both golfers, both in pain from the same sort of thing. One has had it done and isn't in pain, but the old pain is still in pain.

Best get it done now while its still "just" a resurfacing.

I imagine the thought of it isn't pleasant though.
  • iPad
    iPad Posts: 112
    Sorry to hear about your health problems and I understand why you would be worried.

Personally I've never had a hip replacement, but I know a few of people that have.

The first guy did Karate (lots of hip twisting kicks and punches), after the replacement he was still doing it, the only difference he was a whole lot better..! He was in his late 30 - early 40s.

Another guy who was 40 at the time, was a jogger and skier, again his hip replacement was a major improvement.

And my gran (in her 70's) after her hip replacement she took up bowls..!

I think what I'm trying to say here is that if you are suffering, you'll find a big improvement post op. but I'm sure your doctor will be much better placed to tell you that than me.

I hope it all goes well and good luck.
    I know the voices in my head aren't real, but they have such great ideas
  • Yep - I was off walking at all without crutches from aug03 to march07 there-abouts till I got it resurfaced (I had to get the disease under control before the opp was allowed). Sounds you're in a far better state though so even better recovery. I waited 2 or so months I think and it was awesome to be back in the saddle after that long. I'm only just 30 now.

Massive lease of re-life. Only weird thing for me is because right leg was the better over that time I'm still down by a good couple of inches on leg diameter on the left calf compared to right.

The scar is quite impressive and it will ache cos they have to really wrench the hip out back through your left buttock but don't delay. You can then join the titanium club :D
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Have you had it done yet? If so how did you get on?

I'm scheduled for one hopefully in January, doubt it will be sooner. Problem I've got at the moment is that the pain is too much to even ride the bike right now, so I want to get it asap.
  • It can feel like a red hot poker slammed into the hip socket... If you can because it sounds like you will be altering your walking style to reducing the pain - get crutches and keep the gait even as possible. My musculature is now totally off kilter each side and its a right pita to get back to even side - even 2 years later.

Plus with crutches you can move faster than a normal walker :)
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    It can feel like a red hot poker slammed into the hip socket... If you can because it sounds like you will be altering your walking style to reducing the pain - get crutches and keep the gait even as possible. My musculature is now totally off kilter each side and its a right pita to get back to even side - even 2 years later.

Plus with crutches you can move faster than a normal walker :)

So I know where to get you if you annoy me at any Morpeth meet :twisted:

Love you really :wink:
  • If you ask nicely I will show you the scar :P
  • mackdaddy wrote:
    Have you had it done yet? If so how did you get on?

I'm scheduled for one hopefully in January, doubt it will be sooner. Problem I've got at the moment is that the pain is too much to even ride the bike right now, so I want to get it asap.

Not done yet, I'm still able to ride the bike, but not walk very far. If I stand or walk too long it can 'lock up' in a straight position, requiring immediate 'lie down or fall over' - very inconvenient. Also aches at night. I'm luckier than you, its not continuous pain, and is manageable with care - They haven't given me a date yet, but I've said I don't want a cancellation before Xmas, so probably Jan or Feb. Meanwhile I'm getting mods done to the house - handrail both sides on stairs, grab rails over the bath - feel like a bleedin grandad!
    Non-Sexist, Non-Racist, Non-Violent Egalitarian Chess: 32 grey pawns all on the same side
  • I guess I'm lucky to live in a Bungalow.

Looks like we got a race on to the op :lol:

We can compare notes - a lot depends on how vigilant my wife is in keeping me off the bike once it's done as well. I heard Landis was on a Turbo (at only 100W though) in 6 days. I'm aiming for a week (but only if she goes out shopping!)
  • You will have no problem.

There a regular roadie in Richmond Park who only has one leg.
  • Onan
    Onan Posts: 321
    I have no specific experience of this surgery, but I would advise anyone going under the knife to take the recovery times your doctor quotes to you with a pinch of salt.

I was told by my surgeon that I'd be fully recovered 6 weeks after my hernia repair, and that there was no reason I couldn't do a bit of cycling straight away. I was dubious, and rightly so. A good three months or more to be anywhere near properly mobile, and still get pain now (7 months on).

I think recovering after any kind of surgery depends on the individual to be honest.

I don't mean this to sound negative. Just that I had unrealistic expectations after my surgery, and I was better off going at my own pace, and not worrying about it.
    Drink poison. Wrestle snakes.
  • Hip resurfacing is becoming more and more then norm for younger patients and has produced good results (up to 10 years). You're also from birmingham the home of the resurfacing hip replacement, so they have the most experience performing the operation.
  • well... let me put it like this - they split your entire ass muscles on the side of the incision and pull your socket out though it backwards to then work on it. If you honestly think you can get on a bike a week after that be my guest - the wound won't have healed over totally so likely to tear it with too much movement as well. Be sensible - fuck it up and its literally your ass on the line.
  • well... let me put it like this - they split your entire ass muscles on the side of the incision and pull your socket out though it backwards to then work on it. If you honestly think you can get on a bike a week after that be my guest - the wound won't have healed over totally so likely to tear it with too much movement as well. Be sensible - fark it up and its literally your ass on the line.

Not on for the race then. :lol:

In all seriousness, if it will slow down my recovery (by tearing up the muscle) I won't do it, but if it is a question of pain management, then I will.

I've lived with a lot of pain for 10 years, transposing it onto a different part of my body is'nt going to worry me too much - as long as it doesn't cause me further problems. Maybe Landis had better drugs :wink:
  • mackdaddy wrote:
    In all seriousness, if it will slow down my recovery (by tearing up the muscle) I won't do it, but if it is a question of pain management, then I will.

I've lived with a lot of pain for 10 years, transposing it onto a different part of my body is'nt going to worry me too much - as long as it doesn't cause me further problems. Maybe Landis had better drugs :wink:

Sounds like you need to know exactly what they do and then go - woah feck me and not push it... Little things like they have to drill a whole right through leg bone to thread though and tie round a ligament because it used to be attached to the bit of bone they remove... Lots of weird work. They don't slice your glutes with a blade, the surgeon uses his hands to push a hole and tears a gap between fibres - not across any of them. Anyway - its your choice :)
  • well... let me put it like this - they split your entire ass muscles on the side of the incision.

So I won't be wearing my thong on the beach after the op then.

And your knowledge of surgery is a bit too graphic for me, my consultant is a kindly soul and has spared me all of this. All I'm concerned about is my ass will be back in one piece afterwards.
  • not to mention the scooping out the goo from the hip socket using a modified ice cream scoop before hammering the replacement ball into the top of your bone...
  • And your knowledge of surgery is a bit too graphic for me, my consultant is a kindly soul and has spared me all of this. All I'm concerned about is my ass will be back in one piece afterwards.

Blame my biology degree and wanting to know exactly what they are doing!

ps - it will :)
  • Thing is, I don't care whether they saw though my leg, take it to a diffent theatre polish it with a grinder and then glue it back on with superglue.

I'm not squeamish about what they will do to me while I'm under and trying to be all scary about it doesn't change the fact that I'll be on the bike as soon as I'm allowed, pain or no pain. :roll: