Would I invalidate the frame warranty?

Johnny Napalm
Johnny Napalm Posts: 1,458
edited November 2009 in MTB general
My Marin Rocky Ridge has a bottle mount on the seat tube, which prevents the seat post from dropping all the way down. This is a bit of a hindrance when I want to get the seat out of the way for descents.

If I can find a way of removing the mounts, do you think that it would invalidate the lifetime warranty?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Marin
SS Inbred
Mongoose Teocali Super

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Almost definitely. I would contact a Marin dealer.
  • Hi, Super.

Cheers, mate...I feared that would be the answer. I love the bike but it's been a bit of a niggle ever since I've had it.
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • Shorter seatpost?

Your seat doesn't look too high in your pics?
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    If I can find a way of removing the mounts, do you think that it would invalidate the lifetime warranty?

Pardon my ignorance, but is it not just a matter of removing the bolts clearing the way for the seat post to drop down?
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    both my pace and santacruz have bottle mounts on the seat tube, remove the bolts you should be able to slide your post all the way in....
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Sometimes the rivet gets in the way.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    titec scoper post?

an hydro adjustable?

and the rivnuts do get in the way if the tube is plain gauge the whole way down.

rivnuts.jpg
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Yep, the rivnuts do get in the way. I have the seatpost at a length where there's just enough length to climb, but when dropped it's not quite as low as I'd actually prefer. If I shorten it anymore, then I'll lose the height for climbing.

That said, I have been down some pretty steep descents with it, but I would prefer it dropped that little bit further. Either that or I'll have to get some extra length on me little short legs. :wink:

I've considered one of those telescopic posts before, but I've read mixed reviews.
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • you could either get a drop-post, or get a telescopic post, like a seatpost inside another one. So you can set the height with the fatter post then raise and lower the skinny one.
  • Run a 350mm thomson, should be the perfect solution, or cut a few CMs off current one, just a cheap alternative to splashing out on a tele post...
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    how does a Thomson sort the problem? It's either too high when descending or too low when climbing. Unless the Thomson's have an unusually low 'safety line'.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • BigStu2
    BigStu2 Posts: 794
    G'day mate,
    How much seat post is there in the frame at normal ride height, if theres a healthy amount available and you just need that extra inch/inch and a half (and at the risk of all the nay sayers :twisted: ) then just slot out the front of the seatpost, Job done.
    .........all
    ...at........work
    fun..................&
    ..no.............no
    .....is......play
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Would a narrower post with a shim be a possible solution?
  • BigStu2
    BigStu2 Posts: 794
    Schmee again ,
    I also had problems in the steeps and found that it was the saddle width that spread my legs to far as I got over the back of the bike, are you still running the standard seat, Cue the garage sale, Try a WTB Rocket V SLT, titanium rails, leather and half the weight of the standard one and comfy, not to the shopfloor touch but when its adjusted properly :roll: I could go on.
    .........all
    ...at........work
    fun..................&
    ..no.............no
    .....is......play
  • how much more drop are we talking? perhaps a post with a lower stack clamp might work, so the bottom-of-post to saddle-top is a little less, hence you can drop the saddle more, but still raise it enough?
  • Thanks for some great suggestions. I'll have another play to see what I can achieve, without spending too much...unless BigStu gets his way! :wink:
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    can't get a clear idea of the seatpost dia from your pics, but if it's bigger than 30 then 27.2 post plus a shim may work just nicely. Plus it's cheap

otherwise, I expect the Marin dealer will say that as long as you let them remove the rivet properly (rather than drilling it out yourself) then that should be fine. The presence of the rivet doesn't change the frame strength, but opening up the hole in the frame by drilling it out might. However if done right I suppose it could be removed without affecting the hole. Then just gum it up with sealant or a plug to stop water getting in

Joplin or similar would be the ideal answer but they are OMGWTF expensive.
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day