riding in the peak district

does it get icy/dangerous in the winter?

me and some others were gonna do a ride there on xmas day. dont fancy doing descents on ice tbh :shock:

Comments

• Higs
    Higs Posts: 105
    Much like anywhere else....

Some small roads in the Peaks are left ungritted. When the temp falls to around (or below) zero C, there is a risk of ice.
    Higs
  • I came down from the Cat & Fiddle (via the minor roads: Lamaload, Blaze Hill etc) on a cold winter's day last year and I was bricking it as the sun was going down and the temp was dropping quickly. Managed to stay upright but not recommended.

Defo check the forecast and try to stick to daylight hours!
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    I've been on my arse in the Goyt valley before now :)
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • used to live in Edale and we couldn't get up Mam Nick in a 4x4 when it was icy never mind a racing bike!!! however its not that often temperatures drop that low so I'd say you'd have an 80% chance of it being ok to ride.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389

me and some others were gonna do a ride there on xmas day. dont fancy doing descents on ice tbh :shock:

Got to be easier than the ascents!! :shock:

I rode around there once on a MTB... strill ran out of gears in some parts :oops:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    hopper1 wrote:

Got to be easier than the ascents!! :shock:

I rode around there once on a MTB... strill ran out of gears in some parts :oops:

Having experienced many of the steep gravelly North Wales climbs, it's far less scary climbing when you have a risk of a loss of traction. When you are descending, you have more weight over the front of the bike, so the risk of a loss of traction downhill is far more scary, considering you'll be going loads faster when you hit the deck.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257

It might do some places, I can't remember having massive problems with the peak district last winter and there was alot of snow...
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282

Ride in Peak throughout winter - not fell off yet - will give it a miss on xmas day tho :)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Erm, I too prefer a slippy climb to a slippy descent. I had some scars made to show my opinion too.