Database of cobbled roads/climbs in Europe

Bhima
Bhima Posts: 2,145
I've added the locations of some cobbled roads i've done here:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&m ... 236cd4866c

I'm sure i've done more; I just can't remember...

Know one? If you have a google account, you can sign in and add to the map. :)

I want to get better at doing cobbles and have no idea where the cobbled roads near me are, so hopefully someone will add some nearby roads eventually... :wink:

Just make sure you add the location in the title, so it's easy to search through the list...

Click "Edit" and some tools will appear at the top of the map - they allow you to draw lines or add a point of interest to the map.

Comments

• Try this one

www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=26061

From Kettleshulme it goes to WhaleyBridge via the reservoir. It starts as a lane, which becomes really rough as you go along, then it's cobbled for a steep section, possibly 20%around a bend. I don't think it's doable right now with all the rain there's been, but wait for a dry day and give it a try.

It's the toughest cobbled stretch I've found in the UK and I've done Bollington and Swiss hill
    left the forum March 2023
  • good idea

you forgot swiss hill mate!

any more in the peaks? that corkscrew looks mad!
  • Dr U Idh
    Dr U Idh Posts: 324
    Edinburgh is full of cobbled streets
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    It's the toughest cobbled stretch I've found in the UK and I've done Bollington and Swiss hill

But have you done the jenkins chapel test hill aka the corkscrew? :wink:
  • Bhima wrote:

But have you done the jenkins chapel test hill aka the corkscrew? :wink:
    No, but now I want to!

Try the one out of Kettleshulme and let me know what you think
  • torico
    torico Posts: 67
    Gold Hill used to be my commute home until just recently - its short but scenic and you always get a big round of applause at the top from all the tourists ... must admist to quite liking that !
  • torico wrote:
    Gold Hill used to be my commute home until just recently - its short but scenic and you always get a big round of applause at the top from all the tourists ... must admist to quite liking that !

Yes, but were you climbing it with a basket full of bread? :D
  • Aye there are loads of the steep brutes around the Pennines - particularly up and down the Calder Valley and over into East Lancs (Colne etc)

Otherwise, Haworth main street on a quiet Sunday morning is fun, before the tourists swamp it - particularly if it comes on the back of Thwaites Brow in Keighley which is a real gem
  • added a few of the Belgian ones, it's comind out nicely!

We need more input!
  • Slow1972
    Slow1972 Posts: 362
    Bl88dy hell Bhima, you've done something useful ;)

Nice one

Bradford Lane in Alderley is worth adding - its not as steep as Swiss Hill but the cobbles are bumpier as they are smaller (infact more like stones laid as cobbles in places, disintegrates to an unmetaaled track at the top), well worth riding though

There is also a steep cobbled bridlepath down the back of Teggs Nose country park (from the car park) - come out of the car park onto the buxton old rd, turn right and go down to the buxton rd, turn right (onto buxton rd) and first right again (on the bend), drop down the hill and the start of the cobbled climb is on your right. Very slippy when wet as a dozenclub mates will attest from when I took them down it last week Saturday...
  • Slow1972 wrote:
    Bl88dy hell Bhima, you've done something useful ;)

Nice one

Bradford Lane in Alderley is worth adding - its not as steep as Swiss Hill but the cobbles are bumpier as they are smaller (infact more like stones laid as cobbles in places, disintegrates to an unmetaaled track at the top), well worth riding though

There is also a steep cobbled bridlepath down the back of Teggs Nose country park (from the car park) - come out of the car park onto the buxton old rd, turn right and go down to the buxton rd, turn right (onto buxton rd) and first right again (on the bend), drop down the hill and the start of the cobbled climb is on your right. Very slippy when wet as a dozenclub mates will attest from when I took them down it last week Saturday...

Oh, that one... I've walked down there many times, but never thought of riding up... it must be 25% or so... not sure it is possible on a road bike, but as you say... worth trying... I'll add it to the database
  • Even in the States they seem to have some good ones

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur ... N%26um%3D1
  • The old road of the Passo San Gottardo, Switzerland. It's like a wicked combination of Alpe d'Huez and the Paris–Roubaix. Locarno is about 2 hours ride down the main valley in the distance.

Gotthardpass.jpg

Gotthardpasscobbles.jpg

Close up view (there were some rougher patches in places).