Beginners Day Out @ Cannock??

krazykayaker
krazykayaker Posts: 109
edited November 2009 in MTB beginners
No date decided yet or anything like that but are there any beginners/novices that MIGHT be interested in a trip round follow the dog at Cannock Chase in the near future?

When i say beginners/novices i dont mean those who have just removed stabilisers(no offence intended) but i also dont mean those who say they are novices when they know full well that they are more than competent

I am talking about those who can handle a bike but dont feel confident enough to go it alone (like myself until very recently) and fancy having a go and having a laugh

i would consider myself a novice myself having only started cycling again this year and have done the route about 3 or 4 times thought it would be good to meet some others and have a gentle ride round the dog, stopping at the end of each section to regroup (and get my breath back!)

Anyone interested??
On One Inbred 456
On One Inbred SS

Comments

• djames77
    djames77 Posts: 164
    Hello

Could be interested, let me know when you have dates in mind. I only recently got back in he saddle myself after a 12 year break. I wold certainly class myself as a novice - hopefully I won't slow you down too much though!

Cheers

D
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    i wouldnt mind joining you, never been there and always looking for new places etc, (i'm not a novice but i'm no expert either) i ride with all levels and i know one of my good riding buddies could do with a bit more encoragement.
    whats it like this time of year there?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    ...stopping at the end of each section to regroup...
    Arrrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhh noooooooooooooooooo...
  • VWsurfbum
    .blitz wrote:
    sounds like a good days riding to me? a full day to do an hour and half trail?
    (sounds like one of our trips to wales :shock: )
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I think he's annoyed at people blocking the exits of sections.

I'd probably be up for it. Not really a novice, but Cannock is the only trail centre I've been to, so I'm not nailing giant rock faces or anything! I can get round at a decent (I think) pace, but I'd be quite happy to slow down to be sociable.

As for the full day for an hour and a halfs riding, that was me yesterday. My mate was "only" 2 hours late, but each time I rang him it was "I'm 20 minutes away". Could have got round twice, but waited because he said he was close! Then by the time we did get out, we only had time for one lap because it was starting to get dark....... :roll:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • VWsurfbum
    bails87 wrote:
    As for the full day for an hour and a halfs riding, that was me yesterday. My mate was "only" 2 hours late, but each time I rang him it was "I'm 20 minutes away". Could have got round twice, but waited because he said he was close! Then by the time we did get out, we only had time for one lap because it was starting to get dark....... :roll:
    i have riding buddies like that! GRRRRRRRR
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    Probably best to join a slackers ride and ride some of the trails that don't exist.
    Craig Rogers
  • djames77 wrote:
    Hello

Could be interested, let me know when you have dates in mind. I only recently got back in he saddle myself after a 12 year break. I wold certainly class myself as a novice - hopefully I won't slow you down too much though!

Cheers

D

Ok Will do, as i said its only an idea but if theres a few up for it it might be a good laugh
    On One Inbred 456
    On One Inbred SS
  • .blitz wrote:

whats wrong with doing that, There is plenty of room to regroup at the end of the sections without causing an obstruction or Would it just be best to leave them behind then?
    On One Inbred 456
    On One Inbred SS
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    There is plenty of room to regroup at the end of the sections without causing an obstruction
    I guess it depends on how many there are of you and how many people are 'coming through'. Problem areas that spring to mind are the end of S2 where it crosses the Heritage Trail, the start of the fireroad climb, the end of the fireroad climb, the end of S8 after the log ramp, the end of S10, the start of the Chainslapper, start of S14...end of S14...start of S17...it only needs a few people to stop, a few more to stop to find out why the others have stopped and before you know it there's a regular log jam.
    or Would it just be best to leave them behind then?
    Absolutely. Pick them up on the 2nd or 3rd lap or regroup at BV.
  • Count me in. Just getting back into biking after (quite) a few years off. Went up to Cannock the other week to see what FTD is like (without the bike). Wouldn't mind some company for dutch courage (Is that non-PC?).
  • chrisa66 wrote:
    Count me in. Just getting back into biking after (quite) a few years off. Went up to Cannock the other week to see what FTD is like (without the bike). Wouldn't mind some company for dutch courage (Is that non-PC?).

This reply is the exact reason i posted in the first place, thanks

As for dutch courage i am sure you will be fine as IMO everything is rollable (as long as your not going to fast!!)

And to anyone else that wants to come dont worry you wouldnt get left behind to find your own way round (not that you would get lost!) (point taken though about cramming up the section start/ends but i was only thinking probably a few would want to come along )

So possibles so far are : Me and probably a mate, djames77, VWsurfbum and mate, bails87, chrisa66

Looks like we might have a ride :)

Biggest problem now will be deciding a date when everyone can make it
    On One Inbred 456
    On One Inbred SS
  • could be interested been out of the saddle couple of years but have started to get the urge to go out let me know what dates :roll:
  • sounds like a good idea i would definately be up for it( the ride that is)
  • trekhead
    trekhead Posts: 626
    Krazykayaker

sounds good to me too. Only been riding for a year and this sounds like it should be great fun.

Good suggestion
    ole ginger b*ll*cks / the ginger ninja
  • looks like it might be a big ride!
    On One Inbred 456
    On One Inbred SS
  • My boss went round that trail with some friends on his cheapo halfords mtb with v brakes. The rain the previous day combined with the cheap bike resulted in brake blocks chewed up by the sand that needed replacing :lol:
    I accidentally went down the follow the dog stretch from birches valley road down to the pools while going round the marquis trail on a hybrid which was not fun :shock:
  • Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    I was looking on their website last week as an idea for somewhere new to ride but as it's 80 miles away the length of the trail didn't seem to justify the travelling. Let me know when you're going to be doing the ride and I'll see if me and a couple of mates fancy it :)
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • moggy82
    moggy82 Posts: 726
    You could start as 1 group then after the first few section decide if you need to split into ability groups as it sounds you may get a wide variety of skill levels. I guide a few novices round there every now and then, nice to see them come on.

The faster group could then go and do a nice singletrack just over the way from the dog, then catch the other group back up.

Just a suggestion as when we did a ladies first time ride we had the other halfs come who i guided round at a reasonable pace and met with the ladies every hour or so.
  • moggy82 wrote:
    You could start as 1 group then after the first few section decide if you need to split into ability groups as it sounds you may get a wide variety of skill levels. I guide a few novices round there every now and then, nice to see them come on.

The faster group could then go and do a nice singletrack just over the way from the dog, then catch the other group back up.

Just a suggestion as when we did a ladies first time ride we had the other halfs come who i guided round at a reasonable pace and met with the ladies every hour or so.

Good Idea !
    On One Inbred 456
    On One Inbred SS
  • Sounds like a good idea, Just came back from the FTD, I chewed up a set of part worn brake pads, as it was so muddy and you could hear the pads being chewed up as you were going along. Just hope the rotors are OK. :P
  • PM's sent regarding day out, please PM me if i've missed you (apologies but there was a few!)
    On One Inbred 456
    On One Inbred SS
  • You can count me in for sure ! :D
    just let me know times and dates and il be there :) i am only 17 tho, so could be a large age bracket between me and other riders, but im always up for a laugh :)
    Scott Reflex 20
    Trek Fuel EX 8 2010

Work hard . . . . Play hard !
  • Thanks for your PM replies,

Most of you that have replied seem keen for a beginners forum ride But due to the short notice most are unable to make it this weekend and typically it appears i might have to work on saturday morning so doesnt look like i'll be going at the moment either:evil: but i wont know til later in the week for sure

I will put a post up in the rides section with a bit more notice next time and we'll sort something out another time

As said before, experience will not be required & age, sex, race or fitness doesnt matter, its just about enjoying it
    On One Inbred 456
    On One Inbred SS
  • zedhead
    zedhead Posts: 109
    Maybe it's just me but, as a sort of newbie (much like Krazykayaker I'm coming back after 15 years) I would rather just go around by myself, so I'm not making a nuisance and getting in anyone's way (or, more to the point, showing people what a tosser I am). Or maybe I'm just being shy?... :roll:
    Early Orange 5, Felt Z85, Scott Thicko, modified Giant full suss (both nicked)- beat-up single-speed rigid 1992 Saracen (scrapped), and various 2-wheelers with big engines
  • I know what you mean about going on your own and thats great as its up to you

but part of the reason for this post is that some people prefer the "safety" of a group when starting out and some are probably even scared to go alone for the fear of getting lost or falling off and getting hurt without anyone to help etc etc so i thought it would be a good idea for a beginners forum ride

Another reason for the post was/is to meet new likeminded people who fancy a decent few hours out on the bike

I enjoy going it alone and riding in small groups (depends what mood i'm in!)
    On One Inbred 456
    On One Inbred SS