Garmin 705 RIP

spasypaddy
spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
edited November 2009 in Commuting chat
:(

out for a sunday ride today and it fell off, it then got run over, screen is broken. i can still turn it on but the screen is completely gone and the outer casing is completely cracked :(

has this happened to anyone else? do you reckon garmin may replace the screen? or am i needing to buy a new one?

im absolutely gutted :(

also snapped a valve when pumping up my tyres.

all in all a terrible ride

Comments

• prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Ouch!

I reckon Garmin will fix that up good and proper.
  • spasypaddy
    the only good thing is i appear to have got over my 3 week bonk. felt good riding just gutted that my garmin is dead :(
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    if the mount failed then its garmins responsibility I would have thought.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • spasypaddy
    unfortunately my mounts are 3 years old from my 205 and the tab that clicks them in has gone i guess i could claim that the mount failed and see what they say. got nothing to lose.
  • sicknote
    sicknote Posts: 901
    spasypaddy wrote:
    unfortunately my mounts are 3 years old from my 205 and the tab that clicks them in has gone i guess i could claim that the mount failed and see what they say. got nothing to lose.

Someone else on the forum had they garmin hit the floor and they got a new one from Garmin as it was the clamp that was at fault.
  • spasypaddy
    i shall give them a call and see what they say. if i dont ask i dont get.
  • sicknote
    sicknote Posts: 901
    good luck
  • i think they do replacment referbs for about 90 quid. i think!
  • Is there a lanyard attachment point on the 705? I always used to loop my eTrex's lanyard round the stem when I rode with it, so that even if its bike mount failed it would be dangling from the stem by its lanyard, not bouncing over the tarmac.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    No lanyard but they don`t fall off when the mounts are not broken already, the op was asking for trouble really, using it without the tab. I used to do that with my 305 until I saw the error of my ways when it nearly came off.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • I used Garmin's return service the other week (battery issues) and they were brilliant. Their website goes on about how rugged they are (surviving explosions in Iraq etc) so I shouldn't think they'd have a problem. They don't need to know it was on a dodgy mount, do they?

Let us know how you get on.
    Knees tracking forward, elbows soft, cadenc- ooo, bunnies!
  • spasypaddy
    just spoke to garmin, they are doing a replacement refurb for £97.87.

i tried to claim that the mount failed, he wasn't buying it which is fair enough. He is going to throw in a new bike mount though as i asked nicely. Will be picking up another spare bike mount for my second bike as well as that one is damaged.

Going to attempt to find my profile on my unit tonight and try to rescue my odometer... the guy didnt sound hopeful.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    Ouch, that is an expensive fall :-(

My 205 left the bars earlier this year, but bounced and surviced relatively intact.

I think it was my fault for not clipping it in properly though.

It is a shame there is no means of tying it to the bars as a back up though.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Daniel B wrote:
    Ouch, that is an expensive fall :-(

My 205 left the bars earlier this year, but bounced and surviced relatively intact.

I think it was my fault for not clipping it in properly though.

It is a shame there is no means of tying it to the bars as a back up though.

Alessandro_Ballans_Lampre_Wilier_Paris-Roubaix_Special_Garmin_display.jpg

RVV_Garmin_Dean_GPS.jpg
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Bad luck spasypaddy.

In other news, I'm going to buy some shares in a cable tie manufacturer ;)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • I have to say I am surprisingly impressed by Garmin this morning. My 705 split the rubber around the joystick. When I called Garmin support I was told that they do not do repairs, but I could have the £97.87 replacement. Ouch I thoutht!! Then the guy offered to send me the part so that I could repair it myself, and did not even ask me to pay for it, much more impressed by that.:)
    Specialized Single Cross: FCN +4 IMAGE

Trek Madone 5.2: FCN +3 IMAGE